Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread - Page 85 - 33andrain Spotlight - 33andrain Jump to content
33andrain

Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread

3 hours ago, amugs said:

Pretty big explosion - wonder when these effects from all of these volcanic explosions will start to affect our weather not IMBY but on our planet.

LOW or No SOLAR

Spotless Days
Current Stretch: 0 days
2019 total: 14 days (67%)
2018 total: 221 days (61%)

The Tropopause is about 23,000 feet in the air at that latitude. That means this volcanic explosion ploughed through it above over 10 thousand feet! Polar eruptions are known to favor High Latitude Blocking especially if the ash is thick! I wonder if this'll have an affect on East Asian Mountain Torque and also perhaps greatly enhance #SSW downwelling?

I don't think the other eruptions made it to the Stratosphere(but I could be wrong). :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Weathergeek said:

The Tropopause is about 23,000 feet in the air at that latitude. That means this volcanic explosion ploughed through it above over 10 thousand feet! Polar eruptions are known to favor High Latitude Blocking especially if the ash is thick! I wonder if this'll have an affect on East Asian Mountain Torque and also perhaps greatly enhance #SSW downwelling?

I don't think the other eruptions made it to the Stratosphere(but I could be wrong). :)

This post definitely earned you the username you have haha.

Also - great catch & good questions!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

This post definitely earned you the username you have haha.

Also - great catch & good questions!

The volcano is 55.58' North which is about 4 degrees south of 60 degrees north. Around 60 degrees to the pole is considered the lowest point of the northern tropopause!

• Like 1

And in Winter the boundary is lower than in any other time of year! Maybe this'll give us an early Winter for a change next Holiday Season lol.

• Like 1

Flying shopping carts at the supermarket took my mirror right off and scratched up the side of my car

Thanks wind

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weathergeek said:

There have been 2 other such explosions Anka Krakotoa reached 33k last month and

https://electroverse.net/strong-explosion-and-pyroclastic-flow-at-kuchinoerabujima-volcano-japan/

And 

https://electroverse.net/both-kamchatka-russia-and-popocatepetl-mexico-volcanoes-fire-ash-20000-feet-a-s-l-today-jan-17/

• Like 1

Local schools are delaying tomorrow because of “possible refreezing on roadways”. What melted? 😂

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cerra679 said:

Local schools are delaying tomorrow because of “possible refreezing on roadways”. What melted? 😂

Good point. I’ve heard that all day today, “wait for the REFREEZE!”   

Irks me too.

kinda like when people say “hot water heater.”

if the water was hot, you wouldn’t need to heat it.

:)

• Like 3

My neighborhood is filled with ice patches on the side roads because of Sump Pump discharge

• Like 1

2 hours ago, amugs said:

In Sumatra(Indonesia is on the Equator) the Tropopause is approximately 65,000 FT up though it could be higher there because of MJO related activity then(among other factors). The Stratosphere I believe starts around 40,000 ft around 20 degrees north(where the Mexican volcano erupted).  Thus both eruptions never made it to that layer of air above the Troposphere. Trust me, you don't want a Stratospheric Eruption in the tropics if your a Winter weather lover. Yes it would cool the planet, but also strengthen the Polar Vortex and discourage blocking in the high latitudes during Boreal Winter. ;) Though on the bright side if you hate Summer heat, it would encourage a cool Summer(like in 92 and 93 with the Philippian eruption). In fact the Winter before the Summer of 1816 was mild. That's what made The Year Without A Summer all the more remarkable!

The reason why the Tropopause is higher on the Equator and lowers as you go north is chiefly because of convection(the more tropical the greater the Cumulonimbus clouds rise( the ITCZ enhances it even more).

The Euro Weeklies flips back to giving Western Europe the greatest height falls(late Jan/early Feb) despite the TPV being over Canada . It's still a great pattern. It's just there's no bona fide NAO block during that period to give them those barney colors. Maybe I'm missing something?

9 hours ago, Space999978 said:

What makes you believe this threat isn't a good one? I want to see reasoning not feelings. 

Wow attacked right away I see. Literally pointed everything out about this yesterday of why this threat doesn’t do it for me. Go back a few pages and read.