Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread - Page 136 - US-Focused Forecast and Discussion - 33andrain Jump to content
33andrain

Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread

1 hour ago, Kevin49068487 said:

<Begin Rant>

I've given up on any hope. For me personally, if there's not enough snow to get called out to plow, it should be 70 degrees and Sunny so I can enjoy my motorcycle.

I'm still at 0 hours; the switch over to rain on this last storm killed me.

I'm taking the ballast out of my truck bed this weekend.

<End Rant>

Sorry man. It’s been a very frustrating winter for plowing snow. You didn’t get any hours in November? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Sorry man. It’s been a very frustrating winter for plowing snow. You didn’t get any hours in November? 

By the time I got out of my day job for the Nov storm it had started to switch over, between that and the warm-up I wasn't called out.

The guy I help out has most of his accounts in Lakewood, Jackson and Toms River areas. If only one of the areas needs service he can knock it out himself, no need for me. 

The whole season has been like that. 

2 hours ago, Kevin49068487 said:

<Begin Rant>

I've given up on any hope. For me personally, if there's not enough snow to get called out to plow, it should be 70 degrees and Sunny so I can enjoy my motorcycle.

I'm still at 0 hours; the switch over to rain on this last storm killed me.

I'm taking the ballast out of my truck bed this weekend.

<End Rant>

Sorry to hear that, like I said earlier it was not the coasts winter. Luckily for me I plow 30 miles Nw from where I live so it wasn’t the worst of winters. That and the fact that I handle snow removal for a major university that’s super crowded and terrified of liability  means I get called in for anything more then a dusting. (Salt and use mechanical broom attachments)

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Sorry to hear that, like I said earlier it was not the coasts winter. Luckily for me I plow 30 miles Nw from where I live so it wasn’t the worst of winters. That and the fact that I handle snow removal for a major university that’s super crowded and terrified of liability  means I get called in for anything more then a dusting. (Salt and use mechanical broom attachments)

Yeah, I don't do salt application either. Good part is it doesn't eat up my truck, bad news less chance for hours.

Could've been worse, last year was my first year with my new V-blade. I'd be losing my mind if I never used it the first year I had it. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin49068487 said:

Yeah, I don't do salt application either. Good part is it doesn't eat up my truck, bad news less chance for hours.

Could've been worse, last year was my first year with my new V-blade. I'd be losing my mind if I never used it the first year I had it. 

That’s sweet! I wish we had one. I hardly drive our plow truck it’s just a run of the mill f150 with an old fashion plow. I use a John deer tractor with a little plow for 90% 

F9F25D3D-ABAC-49F1-A05D-DD2B0F564739.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kevin49068487 said:

You will never want to plow with anything else. I had my v plow for 9 years now, it was the best purchase I ever made 

V-blade was awesome last year. Between blasting through banks in the aprons and directing the slush where I want it I'd never want to go without again.

As an hourly guy it may not have been the best move since I'm more efficient, but that also means better chance for sleep before returning to day job.

Maybe next year will be better. What really kills me is I have bonus vacation week for my 25th year of service at work this year; was hoping to use it for a motorcycle road trip. No plowing money means no road trip though. 

But hey, I'm employed, got my health, etc... All in all can't complain, many others are much worse off.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChineseFood4Snow said:

Wow. Did you write this or you found it? Either way...it’s awesome!

Edit - Ah...never mind. I see the Chinese food references. :D 

:twit: 

:best: 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Kevin49068487 said:

I had no idea how destructive salt was to the trucks and equipment spreading them until I sat in our township budget meeting. The DPW guys gave an education. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ChineseFood4Snow said:

What a great read!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. Reminds me of my journey through the wx world as well. I'd say about 60% of what I've learned has been on wx boards. The other 40% was all stuff I did my own research on, but had originally read about on a wx board that I wanted to learn more about... And yes, I will be ordering Chinese food in advance of the next possible big one. :)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CCB! said:

What a great read!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. Reminds me of my journey through the wx world as well. I'd say about 60% of what I've learned has been on wx boards. The other 40% was all stuff I did my own research on, but had originally read about on a wx board that I wanted to learn more about... And yes, I will be ordering Chinese food in advance of the next possible big one. :)

Can it even snow without having wonton soup on hand?

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Can it even snow without having wonton soup on hand?

We'll need to launch a study. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CCB! said:

We'll need to launch a study. 

I wish we knew someone good with numbers and such. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CCB! said:

Thanks very much...I wrote this for my website last winter but thought folks here might like to know the origin of my name.  I also amended my weather board links to a much a better site!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, 33andrain said:

Wow. Did you write this or you found it? Either way...it’s awesome!

Edit - Ah...never mind. I see the Chinese food references. :D 

:twit: 

:best: 

Yup, that's me back when I was a bit more active writing for my website.  I've backed off some due to time constraints and a general lack of web traffic there.  Feel free to read some of my other stuff!

FYI  I blame myself for this winter because I've been on a Keto diet, and thus no Chinese food!

• Like 3

A tale of two islands. From my front yard in Wantagh and Syosset. The LIE really is the cutoff for two different winter climate zones. Great move by Upton cutting Nassau in half

64B017FD-C059-45D6-B598-7FA6BE2698D0.jpeg

32724365-F38A-44C0-B200-ABC30AF5C4EE.jpeg

• Like 4

4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A tale of two islands. From my front yard in Wantagh and Syosset. The LIE really is the cutoff for two different winter climate zones. Great move by Upton cutting Nassau in half

64B017FD-C059-45D6-B598-7FA6BE2698D0.jpeg

32724365-F38A-44C0-B200-ABC30AF5C4EE.jpeg

Was in Levittown yesterday and there was also almost no snow. Here there is complete snowcover, with monster snow piles. For this one, the northern state was the dividing line in nassau, and the LIE in suffolk. Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

8 minutes ago, Psv said:

Was in Levittown yesterday and there was also almost no snow. Here there is complete snowcover, with monster snow piles. For this one, the northern state was the dividing line in nassau, and the LIE in suffolk. Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

Luckily for me I’m in the city for every snow event and Vermont almost every weekend. This winter reminded me allot of the 80s growing up when we would listen to the radio and hear all the north shore schools have snow days. Like I said before I have had less then half at home vs work. I bought my dad snow blower for Christmas and he hasn’t used it. Biggest event was 4” in November. Since then everything has been 2” or less.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Psv said:

Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

Did that for about 7 years. Awful area. 

• Like 1