Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread - Page 137 - US-Focused Forecast and Discussion - 33andrain Jump to content
33andrain

Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A tale of two islands. From my front yard in Wantagh and Syosset. The LIE really is the cutoff for two different winter climate zones. Great move by Upton cutting Nassau in half

64B017FD-C059-45D6-B598-7FA6BE2698D0.jpeg

32724365-F38A-44C0-B200-ABC30AF5C4EE.jpeg

Yep that lower picture looks like my yard.  We have snow cover of about 3-4" left I would say.  It's crazy how the S Shore has nothing at all to speak of for snow cover.  Could never imagine going through that a lot of winters.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, uofmiami said:

Yep that lower picture looks like my yard.  We have snow cover of about 3-4" left I would say.  It's crazy how the S Shore has nothing at all to speak of for snow cover.  Could never imagine going through that a lot of winters.

The South Shore definitely has a tendency to get screwed over in march..... not including March 21st last year when 14" fell for me lol. But we're usually fine during storms occuring in DJF

8 hours ago, Psv said:

Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

It's not like the south shore a snow desert or something, just that we need more favorable conditions to be a little more favorable to get good totals.

This winter and 2011-12 are the  only winters where I had no 10"+ storms in the past decade

1 hour ago, Intensewind001 said:

14"

Sorry it was actually 18.2", just looked back in one of my notebooks from last year where I was keeping track of the totals

Just saw that Elliot Abrams of Accuweather retired after 51 years there. He was one of the best...learned a lot growing up listening to him on 1010 wins.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ChineseFood4Snow said:

Webp.net-gifmaker-1.gif

You noticed? :) 

Screenshot 2019-03-08 09.11.25.png

• Like 1

Just now, ChineseFood4Snow said:

Yes indeed...I like it a lot!

Nothing gets by you! Lol. Thanks. We'll update it seasonally. 

• Like 1

I'm seeing some interesting comparisons about this upcoming summer might be comparable to 1936. The CANSIPS does see this to a certain extent. 

875194127_July2019.png.e9f9a4ffbe0fa197d4f47dfe5ae20149.png

july1936temp.jpg.b5c750d44d8893679afd7829e984dd84.jpg

• Like 1

I would bet 2019 would be the summer with a 600dm ridge in the east. Probably hit 100 easily 

lol, 36 was a dust bowl year, we have much above normal precip here so far this year 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Snowlover76 said:

lol, 36 was a dust bowl year, we have much above normal precip here so far this year 

Not the drought part. Just the heat. Having a high enough dm over the SW and Midwest US is more than enough to spark up extended heat waves. Also it makes sense because the CANSIPS is showing a relatively +NAO signature. 

nao_hi_summer_pr_tas21.png.780c9dcbb8278ee4283f10d632118c66.png

Those maps look normal in my area, with a high tendency for onshore flow for the coast.

1 hour ago, Analog96 said:

Those maps look normal in my area, with a high tendency for onshore flow for the coast.

Yup. The Northeast/Northern Mid-Atlantic will avoid a heatwave with that. 

Just curious what people, especially those with actual meteorology degrees, think about folks with those "Certified Broadcast Meteorologist" titles they get by taking some met courses and having a non-met science degree and then delivering weather forecasts (presumably made by others) on TV/radio.  I'd probably be halfway to being a CBM just from all the advanced fundamental science (calc, physics, p-chem, thermo, transport, etc.) courses I took, although I haven't taken any actual forecasting courses - which is why I'd never think to try to pretend I was a meteorologist.  

• Like 3

On 3/9/2019 at 9:06 AM, Crossbowftw3 said:

I wonder why TWC often tries to go high on winter events 

Idk why. It wasn't like that back in the pre-NBC takeover days. 

13 hours ago, ru848789 said:

Just curious what people, especially those with actual meteorology degrees, think about folks with those "Certified Broadcast Meteorologist" titles they get by taking some met courses and having a non-met science degree and then delivering weather forecasts (presumably made by others) on TV/radio.  I'd probably be halfway to being a CBM just from all the advanced fundamental science (calc, physics, p-chem, thermo, transport, etc.) courses I took, although I haven't taken any actual forecasting courses - which is why I'd never think to try to pretend I was a meteorologist.  

I personally think it's disgusting because they haven't had any of the higher level courses we've had.

Yet they can say they are a meteorologist on TV just because they have a CBM.

Then the general public thinks they're legit.

• Like 2

It's funny, earlier this season I heard one of them bragging about how few people in the US had that certification. Gave the impression they're an elite group and it's extremely challenging to get.