Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread - Page 62 - Forecasting and Discussion - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
33andrain

Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread

11 minutes ago, uncle w said:

winter...snow 12/1- 1/31...snowfall 2/1 and after...

1875-76...……..2.0"...…..........….16.3".....11" storm early Feb...

1899-00...……..1.1"....................12.3"

1900-01...........2.1"......................7.0"

1905-06...........2.5"....................17.5"

1913-14...........1.6"....................38.9".....10" storm in Feb...14" storm March 1st...

1918-19...........0.6"......................3.2"

1931-32...........0.9"......................2.4"

1949-50...........1.5"....................11.8"

1971-72...........2.8"....................20.1"

1972-73...........1.8"......................1.0"

1974-75...........2.1"....................10.9"

1991-92...........2.2"....................10.4"

1992-93...........1.9"....................22.6".....10" storm in March...

1994-95...........0.2"....................11.6".....10" storm in early Feb...

1997-98...........0.5"......................5.0"

2006-07...........2.6"......................9.8"

2012-13...........1.9"....................19.5".....10" storm in Feb...5" in Nov...

Thanks unc so only one that really gets us to average. The stack seems stacked against but I still think we have a wild 4 weeks or so. 

27 minutes ago, Caminhoneiro443 said:

Really don't want rain this weekend. Would be a shame to see my foot of snow melt.

2A2D57E7-F9EC-4212-A416-68947197ABF6.jpeg

17 minutes ago, earthlight said:

This post is absolutely dead WRONG, not only is higher latitude ridging over Greenland moving up in time, it is trending stronger. Just because it is not affecting YOU does not mean that it isn’t happening. Again - nobody has called for a tremendous major ridge over Greenland. These posts just flat out stink, man.

EB79B604-51D2-4672-90A1-3258817D9D78.gif

Ouch

Euro is and has been a dumpster fire after this weekend's event. So, let's focus on maximizing whatever we can get now.

Yesterday the trends were for the stronger Friday wave to act as a 50/50. Are today’s problem runs from a weaker Friday wave or is the TPV being uncooperative regardless of the 50/50?

Backend snows occur 0.00000000001% of the time. Good luck to chasing that unicorn 

Oh well. December was punted. Looks like we punt the next ten days which means 24 days of January are punted. But I am sure the weeklies will

look GREAT!!!!! 

57 minutes ago, 33andrain said:

Euro is and has been a dumpster fire after this weekend's event. So, let's focus on maximizing whatever we can get now.

Looks terrible through day ten. Really not that cold over continental us, trough crashing into the west, se us ridging pumping heights on the ec and no North Atlantic blocking. Same old pattern, no wonder both the gfs and euro showing another rainer. But don’t worry major changes including North Atlantic blocking are being depicted in the day 11-15 range, eventually it’s coming.  

22 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

This winter sucks

It's pretty awful, yes.

• Like 1

Maybe March will be good

6 minutes ago, 33andrain said:

It's pretty awful, yes.

The past few days being cold has rubbed salt in the wounds

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LHVwx said:

Maybe March will be good

Did February get taken off the calender this year?

38 minutes ago, WxInTheBronx said:

Is winter over yet?

It hasn’t started 

I’ll leave this here so as to not upset too many people.  But look at the eps now.  At 200 hours for example it has a trough crashing the west coast, se ridging and higher ec heights, and no real North Atlantic blocking, even the pacific is still a mess.  

My point being that the long range signal gets muted as we get closer.  I remember when I was looking a week ago at this same timeframe (because I will be traveling) the eps, gefs and operAtional runs had North Atlantic blocking and the pv displaced over the northeast with extremely cold air.  It’s like a 180 flip.  

In fact the guidance was showing the PV elongating with a really nice setup for a major storm, boy has that signal for the 22-24 timeframe really went away. Now the euro and gfs have another Rainer with an unfavorable synoptic setup.   

7 minutes ago, BMC10 said:

I’ll leave this here so as to not upset too many people.  But look at the eps now.  At 200 hours for example it has a trough crashing the west coast, se ridging and higher ec heights, and no real North Atlantic blocking, even the pacific is still a mess.  

My point being that the long range signal gets muted as we get closer.  I remember when I was looking a week ago at this same timeframe (because I will be traveling) the eps, gefs and operAtional runs had North Atlantic blocking and the pv displaced over the northeast with extremely cold air.  It’s like a 180 flip.  

In fact the guidance was showing the PV elongating with a really nice setup for a major storm, boy has that signal for the 22-24 timeframe really went away. Now the euro and gfs have another Rainer with an unfavorable synoptic setup.   

Spot on. Can’t disagree with any of this 

17 minutes ago, Mriceyman said:

Did February get taken off the calender this year?

December and January are history. Why not go with persistence??? Some years it’s just tough to have it snow.