Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread - Page 71 - Forecasting and Discussion - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
33andrain

Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread

11 minutes ago, AllanWeather NYC said:

How does this make sense TWC...8-12” in Newark and 1” in NYC, for a forecast on Saturday/Sunday? I don’t know how to convey to people to NOT use this app. 

B7AA8374-6ABE-48F8-8A95-34FE9977BD87.png

10B8C601-0CC7-4C8B-98EE-025142836681.png

I use Dark Sky.

Looks like this one's going to be a big old rainstorm with maybe some snow after the cold pushes through, it's really getting frustrating to see areas north and south of philly get slammed with snow and having to always be on the outside looking in.

Was in Northern Westchester for 2/14/07. 7" of snow followed by 3-4" of pure sleet. Was a surreal experience and a high impact event.  4" of sleet does not move easily. 

Most likely my second home in Liberty NY will get between 1 and 2 feet of snow; so that is where I'll ride it out. Nicer than a few inches of slop and ice and or rain on Long Island !

• Like 3

Just now, NJwxguy78 said:

It is very close. Essentially in agreement from run to run on outcomes. We’ll see at the very least minor fluctuations in the freeze lines.

Do you think we get a foot up here? Most outlets going for 8-12 inches for Sussex County. Henry Margusity has 12-18.

2 minutes ago, Archerdude44 said:

Do you think we get a foot up here? Most outlets going for 8-12 inches for Sussex County. Henry Margusity has 12-18.

Hey neighbor. I think it’s a little too early to throw out any forecast accums anywhere. I think the ceiling through Sussex and Orange counties is probably 12” - we thump to ip/zr. At minimum, 0”. lol 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AllanWeather NYC said:

How does this make sense TWC...8-12” in Newark and 1” in NYC, for a forecast on Saturday/Sunday? I don’t know how to convey to people to NOT use this app. 

B7AA8374-6ABE-48F8-8A95-34FE9977BD87.png

10B8C601-0CC7-4C8B-98EE-025142836681.png

wx apps tend to be pretty unreliable in general

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Hey neighbor. I think it’s a little too early to throw out any forecast accums anywhere. I think the ceiling through Sussex and Orange counties is probably 12” - we thump to ip/zr. At minimum, 0”. lol 

I agree. Im in NW Orange county and I would say 12" is our ceiling. Gonna have to go up to BGM into CNY & ALB to see those 18"+ totals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sferic said:

Most likely my second home in Liberty NY will get between 1 and 2 feet of snow; so that is where I'll ride it out. Nicer than a few inches of slop and ice and or rain on Long Island !

You will prob taint for a bit in Liberty too.. Im only 25 mins S of Liberty and im expecting SN/IP/ZR. Prepare for power outages too, Im prepping my generator tomorrow.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

You will prob taint for a bit in Liberty too.. Im only 25 mins S of Liberty and im expecting SN/IP/ZR. Prepare for power outages too, Im prepping my generator tomorrow.

same.  have to check the backup and the backup to the backup. lol

• Like 4

I realize everyone is focused on the 1/20 event. I’m not expecting much imby. When is the next legit shot at snow in NYC metro?  I need a nice snowstorm. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, IamFenwick said:

I realize everyone is focused on the 1/20 event. I’m not expecting much imby. When is the next legit shot at snow in NYC metro?  I need a nice snowstorm. 

Generally speaking, the pattern remains active & cold going forward. Won't hit a home run every time, but the chances will be plentiful from the 25th onward through February. 

• Like 4

This looks like an OK time.

• Like 1

Some models are even losing much of the front end thump now. Just does not want to snow this winter

Just now, Event Horizon said:

We are running out of time here in the NYC Metro Area. We only have 5 weeks of winter left.

I’m as down as you are but met winter yes but lots of areas got 20-40” just last March in the metro

• Like 1

Just now, swamplover56 said:

I’m as down as you are but met winter yes but lots of areas got 20-40” just last March in the metro

This time last winter I believe I had 12-13 inches. 

Some winters it just wants to snow. This year is the exact opposite. Really disappointed in this winter so far. Not going to lie. Hopefully it changes. 

• Like 2