Wx Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread - Page 130 - Forecasting and Discussion - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
33andrain

Wx Rant N' Rave (Banter) Thread

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Kevin49068487 said:

Yeah, I don't do salt application either. Good part is it doesn't eat up my truck, bad news less chance for hours.

 

Could've been worse, last year was my first year with my new V-blade. I'd be losing my mind if I never used it the first year I had it. 

 

 

I had no idea how destructive salt was to the trucks and equipment spreading them until I sat in our township budget meeting. The DPW guys gave an education. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ChineseFood4Snow said:

What a great read!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. Reminds me of my journey through the wx world as well. I'd say about 60% of what I've learned has been on wx boards. The other 40% was all stuff I did my own research on, but had originally read about on a wx board that I wanted to learn more about... And yes, I will be ordering Chinese food in advance of the next possible big one. :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CCB! said:

What a great read!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. Reminds me of my journey through the wx world as well. I'd say about 60% of what I've learned has been on wx boards. The other 40% was all stuff I did my own research on, but had originally read about on a wx board that I wanted to learn more about... And yes, I will be ordering Chinese food in advance of the next possible big one. :)

 

Can it even snow without having wonton soup on hand?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

 

Can it even snow without having wonton soup on hand?

We'll need to launch a study. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CCB! said:

We'll need to launch a study. 

 

 

I wish we knew someone good with numbers and such. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, CCB! said:

What a great read!! Talk about a walk down memory lane. Reminds me of my journey through the wx world as well. I'd say about 60% of what I've learned has been on wx boards. The other 40% was all stuff I did my own research on, but had originally read about on a wx board that I wanted to learn more about... And yes, I will be ordering Chinese food in advance of the next possible big one. :)

 

Thanks very much...I wrote this for my website last winter but thought folks here might like to know the origin of my name.  I also amended my weather board links to a much a better site!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, 33andrain said:

Wow. Did you write this or you found it? Either way...it’s awesome!

 

Edit - Ah...never mind. I see the Chinese food references. :D 

 

:twit: 

:best: 

 

Yup, that's me back when I was a bit more active writing for my website.  I've backed off some due to time constraints and a general lack of web traffic there.  Feel free to read some of my other stuff!

 

FYI  I blame myself for this winter because I've been on a Keto diet, and thus no Chinese food!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A tale of two islands. From my front yard in Wantagh and Syosset. The LIE really is the cutoff for two different winter climate zones. Great move by Upton cutting Nassau in half

 

64B017FD-C059-45D6-B598-7FA6BE2698D0.jpeg

32724365-F38A-44C0-B200-ABC30AF5C4EE.jpeg

 

Was in Levittown yesterday and there was also almost no snow. Here there is complete snowcover, with monster snow piles. For this one, the northern state was the dividing line in nassau, and the LIE in suffolk. Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Psv said:

 

Was in Levittown yesterday and there was also almost no snow. Here there is complete snowcover, with monster snow piles. For this one, the northern state was the dividing line in nassau, and the LIE in suffolk. Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

Luckily for me I’m in the city for every snow event and Vermont almost every weekend. This winter reminded me allot of the 80s growing up when we would listen to the radio and hear all the north shore schools have snow days. Like I said before I have had less then half at home vs work. I bought my dad snow blower for Christmas and he hasn’t used it. Biggest event was 4” in November. Since then everything has been 2” or less.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Psv said:

Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

Did that for about 7 years. Awful area. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

A tale of two islands. From my front yard in Wantagh and Syosset. The LIE really is the cutoff for two different winter climate zones. Great move by Upton cutting Nassau in half

 

64B017FD-C059-45D6-B598-7FA6BE2698D0.jpeg

32724365-F38A-44C0-B200-ABC30AF5C4EE.jpeg

Yep that lower picture looks like my yard.  We have snow cover of about 3-4" left I would say.  It's crazy how the S Shore has nothing at all to speak of for snow cover.  Could never imagine going through that a lot of winters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, uofmiami said:

Yep that lower picture looks like my yard.  We have snow cover of about 3-4" left I would say.  It's crazy how the S Shore has nothing at all to speak of for snow cover.  Could never imagine going through that a lot of winters.

 

The South Shore definitely has a tendency to get screwed over in march..... not including March 21st last year when 14" fell for me lol. But we're usually fine during storms occuring in DJF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Psv said:

Cant imagine living thru winters on the south shore

 

It's not like the south shore a snow desert or something, just that we need more favorable conditions to be a little more favorable to get good totals.

 

This winter and 2011-12 are the  only winters where I had no 10"+ storms in the past decade

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Intensewind001 said:

14"

Sorry it was actually 18.2", just looked back in one of my notebooks from last year where I was keeping track of the totals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw that Elliot Abrams of Accuweather retired after 51 years there. He was one of the best...learned a lot growing up listening to him on 1010 wins.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...