[Eastern US] December 2018: Consolidated Discussion / Obs - Page 3 - Weather Spotlight - 33andrain Jump to content
brooklynwx99

[Eastern US] December 2018: Consolidated Discussion / Obs

Just installed Tapatalk. Catastrophic site crash. :facepalm:

• Like 2

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

Tomorrow night into Sunday, the New York City region will be in line for a moderate precipitation event. Much of the region will likely see 0.50" rain with local amounts reaching 1.00" in some places.

Already, 2018 ranks among the 10 wettest years on record in much of the region. Some locations have set new annual precipitation records. Those locations include Elmira and Upton.

Farther Baltimore has set an annual precipitation record, Philadelphia has had its 5th wettest year on record, and Washington, DC has had its 3rd wettest year on record. There is a chance that Washington, DC could approach or exceed its annual rainfall record this weekend. Even if Washington falls short, it is very likely that Washington will set a new record before 2018 concludes.

Some rankings scenarios based on precipitation amounts ranging from 0.50" to 1.00" follow:

Rain11302018-Scenarios.jpg

In terms of snowfall, New York City's total snowfall through today is the 4th highest on record at this point in time. Only 1898 (19.0"), 1882 (14.0"), and 1938 (12.8") saw more snowfall.

Since regular recordkeeping began in 1869, New York City has had 9 cases when snowfall through November 30 came to 3.5" or more. Most of the following winters proved snowy. Data for the 9 cases is below:

Mean seasonal snowfall: 40.2"
Median seasonal snowfall: 43.6"

% cases with 30" or more seasonal snowfall: 77.8%
% cases with 40" or more seasonal snowfall: 55.6%
% cases with < 20" seasonal snowfall: 11.1%

Lowest seasonal snowfall: 13.4", 1989-90
Highest seasonal snowfall: 60.3", 1872-73

December snowfall will likely provide further insight into seasonal snowfall. NYC needs just 3.6" snow in December to bring the November-December total to 10.0". Seasons during which November-December snowfall was 10.0" or higher were markedly snowier than those when November-December snowfall was less than 10".

November-December Snowfall: 10" or More:

Mean snowfall: 43.7"
Median snowfall: 43.4"

% cases with < 20" seasonal snowfall: 3.1%
% cases with 30" or more seasonal snowfall: 87.5%

November-December Snowfall: Less than 10":

Mean snowfall: 24.8"
Median snowfall: 24.3"

% cases with < 20" seasonal snowfall: 39.3%
% cases with 30" or more seasonal snowfall: 28.2%

Love your ranking scenarios Don, First Class !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CCB! said:

Good question. Paging @uncle w, @burgwx, @donsutherland1 - I suppose this question pertains to the greater tri-state area, including NNJ.

Last year was a close call. 0.4" fell in Bridgeport and 2.9" fell in Boston.

The last measurable snowfall in NYC (Central Park) on Christmas Day occurred in 2002 when 5.0" fell. Interior sections received much greater amounts. For example, Port Jervis received 14.9" and Albany had 21.0".

• Like 3

0z ICON. Not getting an amped vibe from this look...

icon_z500_vort_namer_61.png

6 minutes ago, *opengeo* said:

@sferic and @Weatherman89 looks like 33andrain is up in Tapatalk if you want to test it out.

PERFECT !!!!! great work, THANKS!

tap.JPG

59 minutes ago, CCB! said:

Good question. Paging @uncle w, @burgwx, @donsutherland1 - I suppose this question pertains to the greater tri-state area, including NNJ.

I have daily snow data downloaded back to 1985 - quickly parsing through my dataset the only major NE snowstorm (including the tri-state area) on Christmas day I found was 2002. Of course there's a couple of notable post-Christmas snowstorms (2012, 2010), near misses (2004 to the east) and Christmas eve snowstorms (2017). 1993 looks like it had some light snow in NNJ on Christmas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CCB! said:

2002 was the last storm on Christmas day...1966 the last storm on Christmas eve...1980  and 1983 had light snow Christmas eve...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sferic said:

PERFECT !!!!! great work, THANKS!

Sorry, but I had to remove it. Keeps crashing the site. :(  Invision support specifically recommends I do not install it. Need an alternative!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, *opengeo* said:

Sorry, but I had to remove it. Keeps crashing the site. :(  Invision support specifically recommends I do not install it. Need an alternative!

Well, thanks for trying. I'll just use the mobile web app.

• Like 1

In the words of Bernie Rayno, “old run, new run, old run, new run. Ya see that? GFS, old run, new run...”

4D03CF65-FD43-44F4-8EA5-4C4E88BDB818.png

Just now, Archerdude44 said:

In the words of Bernie Rayno, “old run, new run, old run, new run. Ya see that? GFS, old run, new run...”

4D03CF65-FD43-44F4-8EA5-4C4E88BDB818.png

913D9FA5-E174-443E-A8B2-98D3D08D04E1.png