Research Paper on Hurricanes - Historical Threads - 33andrain Jump to content
Logan Giles

Research Paper on Hurricanes

Hi Logan, an interesting paper with some very valid points and suggestions.  I really like the idea of your new proposed scale. 

We know that it can be a tough exercise to persuade the "establishment" to embrace changes, especially for a widely used internationally accepted scale.  I've seen quite a few comments wrt having a category 6 for the most powerful storms as cat 5 covers a wider range than the others but NHC so far does not seem to be interested in making any changes. Getting them to consider adding your key criteria will be hard enough let alone actually adopt any changes. May I suggest that you start to use your methods and put them out there for all to see every time a major hurricane and/or a landfall tropical storm is predicted.  Those of us that post regularly on this forum's hurricane thread (like myself) could easily include references to "The Giles Scale" when it's appropriate.  As this embraces the potential impacts and dangers it could easily be used alongside the Saffir-Simpson Scale and I'm sure that the media would catch on to it very quickly as they want to report on all the dangers and damage.  Frankly, anything that helps the authorities to prepare for the and quantify the potential impacts is a useful warning tool and your proposed scale does exactly this. 

You need to give this wider exposure.  I've just placed your paper into the Research Portal (just click on the title for a link to portal entry: Improving The Saffir-Simpson Scale and Our Response to Hurricanes) so that anyone checking out the "hurricanes" heading in the index will become aware of it.  To get members who view this thread to read your excellent paper, we should whet their appetites - so I've copied your table below:

gs1.PNG

The Current scale looks like this:

36a3.PNG

I often posted the Saffir-Simpson scale in my hurricane reports this year (such as in my updates on the Florence thread) to remind readers of the relative strength of major storms.  I'll add your table to these during the 2019 season.  The more posters that refer to it, the more publicity you'll get and the more likely that NHC and others start to take your proposals seriously.   David :) 

• Like 4

On 12/23/2018 at 9:12 AM, Bring Back 1962-63 said:

Hi Logan, an interesting paper with some very valid points and suggestions.  I really like the idea of your new proposed scale. 

We know that it can be a tough exercise to persuade the "establishment" to embrace changes, especially for a widely used internationally accepted scale.  I've seen quite a few comments wrt having a category 6 for the most powerful storms as cat 5 covers a wider range than the others but NHC so far does not seem to be interested in making any changes. Getting them to consider adding your key criteria will be hard enough let alone actually adopt any changes. May I suggest that you start to use your methods and put them out there for all to see every time a major hurricane and/or a landfall tropical storm is predicted.  Those of us that post regularly on this forum's hurricane thread (like myself) could easily include references to "The Giles Scale" when it's appropriate.  As this embraces the potential impacts and dangers it could easily be used alongside the Saffir-Simpson Scale and I'm sure that the media would catch on to it very quickly as they want to report on all the dangers and damage.  Frankly, anything that helps the authorities to prepare for the storm and quantify the potential impacts is a useful warning tool and your proposed scale does exactly this. 

You need to give this wider exposure.  I've just placed your paper into the Research Portal (just click on the title for a link to portal entry: Improving The Saffir-Simpson Scale and Our Response to Hurricanes) so that anyone checking out the "hurricanes" heading in the index will become aware of it.  To get members who view this thread to read your excellent paper, we should whet their appetites - so I've copied your table below:

gs1.PNG

The Current scale looks like this:

36a3.PNG

I often posted the Saffir-Simpson scale in my hurricane reports this year (such as in my updates on the Florence thread) to remind readers of the relative strength of major storms.  I'll add your table to these during the 2019 season.  The more posters that refer to it, the more publicity you'll get and the more likely that NHC and others start to take your proposals seriously.   David :) 

Sorry, just getting to this now. This is on Twitter and Facebook as well. I met Jim Cantore last month and mentioned it to him. He seemed to like some of the ideas in the paper. And yes I agree it will be very hard to get the NHC to listen to the ideas presented in the paper. And I will remember to use them each time a significant hurricane is approaching landfall. Really appreciate the feedback and hopefully this gets more exposure. Because it has great points and suggestions 

• Like 1