[Eastern US] Jan. 2019 Pattern & Forecast Disc. #2 - Page 101 - Historical Threads - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
donsutherland1

[Eastern US] Jan. 2019 Pattern & Forecast Disc. #2

17 minutes ago, Event Horizon said:

Look at my post. Is that your final answer? 

Low amplitude on a forecast that has been less than stellar this year? I’ll personally wait for it be occurring 

17 minutes ago, earthlight said:

The mid atlantic gets a nice moderate accumulation of winter is over on today’s GFS

That would be great for our several hundred Mid-Atlantic members!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, earthlight said:

The mid atlantic gets a nice moderate accumulation of winter is over on today’s GFS

I was waiting for the famous "so what are we complaining about today" post....lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MR FREEZE said:

You would've loved that 93-94 winter.  Once the cold came in during the last week of December bringing with it a 6 inch snowfall to Central Park Dec.29th,  it virtually never let up.  A constant flow of arctic air through most of Jan with several severe ice storms.  Around Jan 7th,  we had a moderate to heavy rain falling with surface temps in the mid 20`s right down to the coast.  You can only imagine what that was like.  850's near 40 degrees can do that.  Then around Martin Luther King Day,  it warmed up to the upper 30's at the surface and it rained.  Skating rinks were created around the area because the 6 or 7 days leading up to it were well below freezing and the ground couldn't thaw out in time.  FEB yielded to 2 nice snowfalls on the 8th and 11th,  both of which were 8 to 10 inches.  A handful of smaller events continued on through most of March with very few breaks.  Yeah,  it was an awesome time to love winter.  Ironically,  the following winter sucked but it was the sandwich between 2 legendary winters (93-94 & 95-96).   Hope you enjoyed the 25 year ride back in time.

Those ice storms were terrible. Beautiful but terrible. Sooo cold too. Single digits for highs before those storms. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Funkyjbell said:

Those ice storms were terrible. Beautiful but terrible. Sooo cold too. Single digits for highs before those storms. 

Indeed.....similar to the V-day storm in 2007 but the warm layer was a bit thinner resulting in sleet.  It was very difficult to scour out the Arctic air in 1994,  even down to the coastline.  Unlike this winter,  those arctic outbreaks had major staying power.  

• Like 1

GEFS significantly improved after the 10th...

• Like 2

@PB GFI right as usual...2/11-2/13 looking like a legit period to watch. Could also see something brewing on the CMC at the end.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, earthlight said:

I love a good comeback story, especially for all of the people that bailed early. You can’t get back on the ship once you jump ;) 

Pin this to the top of the page! I wholeheartedly agree with you on this

• Like 3