2019 New York Yankees - Sports - 33andrain Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dmillz25

2019 New York Yankees

Nice to see Gleyber pick up where he left off with that HR to dead center field. Bird looks healthy too. That being said I put the Yankees o/u wins at 97

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zips-projections-new-york-yankees/

the only position that might be an issue is 1st base and maybe the back of the rotation, but there are few MLB teams with reliable #5 starters and I'd take Sabathia over most teams #4's. I think the Yanks made out very well with the Hicks extension. Even with all the time he's missed the last 2 seasons, he's 12th among all outfielders in WAR. He gets on base and hits for power.

I'd say they've got a good shot at 97 wins. 

On 2/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, evan said:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2019-zips-projections-new-york-yankees/

the only position that might be an issue is 1st base and maybe the back of the rotation, but there are few MLB teams with reliable #5 starters and I'd take Sabathia over most teams #4's. I think the Yanks made out very well with the Hicks extension. Even with all the time he's missed the last 2 seasons, he's 12th among all outfielders in WAR. He gets on base and hits for power.

I'd say they've got a good shot at 97 wins. 

It’s going to be a tight race between the Yanks and the Sox for sure

Rays should be pretty good, but I don't think they're going to have the lineup to keep up. They project to score 4.29 R/G whereas the Sox and Yanks project for over 5 R/G per Steamer.  All 3 teams project to allow around 4.05-4.20 R/G. Steamer has the Yanks as a 3 win favorite for the division right now. Jays are a non-factor (though I'm really excited for Vlad Jr.) and the Orioles will be lucky to avoid 100 losses.

projections are always conservative (you're not going to see many teams ever projected for 100+ wins/losses), so 98 wins is a lot all things considered.

Luis severino scratched from his spring training start with discomfort in his pitching shoulder. Not good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Analog96 said:

Luis severino scratched from his spring training start with discomfort in his pitching shoulder. Not good.

Agree. Whenever you hear this it’s worrisome. 

Boone said Sevy won’t start the season 

6 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Boone said Sevy won’t start the season 

Yeah, he has inflammation in the rotator cuff.

He won't touch a baseball for two weeks.

So, even if we assume that the medicines do their thing, he'll be two weeks behind.

That translates to probably missing the first 2-3 starts, since he'll be behind schedule.

But shoulders and elbows are always worrisome.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Yeah, he has inflammation in the rotator cuff.

He won't touch a baseball for two weeks.

So, even if we assume that the medicines do their thing, he'll be two weeks behind.

That translates to probably missing the first 2-3 starts, since he'll be behind schedule.

But shoulders and elbows are always worrisome.

Agree. Plus opening day is in March, the weather is going to be horrible. I bet we don’t see him until May. 

• Like 1

C.C. Now hurt abd won’t start the season. Not exactly great news for our pitching staff 

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

C.C. Now hurt abd won’t start the season. Not exactly great news for our pitching staff 

He isn't hurt, AFAIK.  He is behind schedule because of the angioplasty he had in the off-season.

So they're going to place him on the injured list to start the season so he doesn't clog up a roster spot and can get extra work in extended spring training.

• Like 1

Bird starts the year with the team? Sounds like Luke will be in the minors. Not that I agree with it 

4 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Bird starts the year with the team? Sounds like Luke will be in the minors. Not that I agree with it 

If true, horrible decision.

Although I get that they can't carry Bird and Voit.
With benches being as small as they are, they both only play 1B.

• Like 1

Bird is tearing it up right now but I have 0 faith in him. Tough decision for Boone and Co.  Voit is so energetic and affable so I am rooting for him.  Love the lefty aspect of this competition but it’s not enough for Bird. His credibility has flown the coup lol. 

I hope they give Lasagna and German some starts, NO CESSA.  They both have some BIG upside. They are a year older and more experienced so let’s see what happens. Can’t wait for meaningful games. 

1 hour ago, IamFenwick said:

I hope they give Lasagna and German some starts, NO CESSA.  They both have some BIG upside. They are a year older and more experienced so let’s see what happens. Can’t wait for meaningful games. 

I agree with you.  IMO, the order should be Loaisiga, then German, then Cessa.

Cessa has had many chances and seems like an AAAA pitcher to me.

They should only use him if it was a real emergency.

• Like 1

Cessa doesn't miss enough bats to be a starter and he doesn't have the command that Loaisiga does. German had his struggles last year, but he showed considerable upside with a high strikeout rate. just needs to establish a 3rd pitch.

9 hours ago, evan said:

Cessa doesn't miss enough bats to be a starter and he doesn't have the command that Loaisiga does. German had his struggles last year, but he showed considerable upside with a high strikeout rate. just needs to establish a 3rd pitch.

Going off this spring, here are the three candidates for the extra starter so far (and 2 of them will likely be in the rotation to start the season).

Cessa: 0.69 ERA Pitched today

German: 2.35 ERA will pitch tomorrow.

Loaisiga 10.00 ERA