March 3-4, 2019 -- Back to Back Snow? - Page 38 - Archived Storm Threads - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
33andrain

March 3-4, 2019 -- Back to Back Snow?

@jen @Heavy snow - we get 6" plus they will have to close - I have in my 45 years of being student and now a teacher never sen schools open after such a storm. This one will be no different even if it ends t 2/3AM

Great work guys, love the SE trend.

This storm actually acts as a block to the TPV and presses it S over N Hudson Bay here - subtle differences show pretty drastic outcomes - map courtesy of SROC

tpv10.png

So in essence this storm acts as a pseudo block to the TPV from sliding east

• Like 2

You have heavy snow in the middle of the night, with snow cover already on the ground. Please don’t look at those god awful snowfall maps and look at soundings and common sense 

definitely turning into a similar event to last night, if S&E and drier trends persist, this morning might be the larger event rather than this one for many of us.

Just now, CCB! said:

Basically, the storm is simply very fast :) - since the system races east, the best jet dynamics go with it. You want that comma head at the upper levels to be to your NW in these setups. That's known as the right entrance region of the jet streak. It allows for divergence aloft which blossoms the precip shield. So the SLP in this frame is only ostensibly in a good spot. All that being said, before that occurs, the area does take a very nice hit yet again. 

Awesome, appreciate the detailed response ;) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Heavy snow said:

Miss those big runs from two days ago. This is becoming a nuisance 3-6 event that falls mostly overnight which you can’t even enjoy. 

This is 6”+ for a lot of people 

6 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Wow....you were singing such a diff tune a few weeks ago 

What was that tune lol. My tune is usually always the more snow the better lol. All I said was the Nams totals and timing were similar to today’s and today’s storm really wasn’t that exciting. I still appreciate any snow but it’s a nuisance event as modeled 

It's like I've been saying for the last few days, you can't get a big wound-up system this close on the heels of another.

You can get 6-10", but that would be the absolute ceiling.

And the amped rainy solutions were complete BS too.

When the laws of wave physics and thermodynamics are violated, it doesn't matter what model shows what.

There is a reason we have certain laws that govern atmospheric processes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heavy snow said:

What was that tune lol. My tune is usually always the more snow the better lol. 

Complaining that you don’t get any storms over 3 inches 

Yeah I don't remember the last time we had 4"+ snowfalls on back to back days (though in this case it'll be about a day and a half apart)

3 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Complaining that you don’t get any storms over 3 inches 

Ya I live in the mid Hudson valley, I expect more than one 5 inch storm in November. It’s all good though. I’m just saying as modeled on the Nam, it’s a minor event. I don’t understand the issue with what I said. 3-5 overnight on a Sunday is a minor event. A minor event I’m excited for but it’s minor per the Nam

1 minute ago, Heavy snow said:

Ya I live in the mid Hudson valley, I expect more than one 5 inch storm in November. It’s all good though. I’m just saying as modeled on the Nam, it’s a minor event. I don’t understand the issue with what I said. 3-5 overnight on a Sunday is a minor event. A minor event I’m excited for but it’s minor per the Nam

Just for perspective before this mornings event I had like 10-11” total this winter almost got half that this morning 5”.. expect another 6” tomorrow..and I’m sure you still have waaay more than that living up there..

• Like 1

Calling UNC W??? or anyone else with this infomration

When was the last time the NYC Metro area had 5 consecutive days of measurable snowfall????

Thursday - .25"

Friday 1.75"

Saturday 4"

Sunday-?

Monday-?

Seems like what has been happening this winter to other locals around USA is starting here with a storm track that is getting locked into place overall with this east to west track???

5 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

There's a threshold at which increased amplification would ineluctably lead to precip-type issues and rain for the coast, in light of the surrounding synoptics. There's sufficient high-latitude blocking to offer a snowstorm, but I'd caution against becoming too avaricious w/ respect to wanting a more amplified system. I think I can speak for most, in that the putative "goal" with this system should be to maximize the I-95 corridor snowfall between PHL-BOS, since they've been most shut-out this season. Maximization of that snowfall inevitably leads to potentially slightly lower ceilings and shifting of banding into other areas.

I 1,000% agree even though I’m taking heat. More people live in the I95 than where I live. A minor 3-5 inch event will make more snow lovers happy than me and 3 others who would benefit from your amped up misery. In that case I’ll root for the weaker event for the I 95 because it’s much more difficult for it to snow there than where I live! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, amugs said:

Calling UNC W??? or anyone else with this infomration

When was the last time the NYC Metro area had 5 consecutive days of measurable snowfall????

Thursday - .25"

Friday 1.75"

Saturday 4"

Sunday-?

Monday-?

Seems like what has been happening this winter to other locals around USA is starting here with a storm track that is getting locked into place overall with this east to west track???

It was posted on here last night.

It happened twice in recorded history- in 1923 and 1938.

• Like 1

The 850mb fronto is south of the Mason Dixon on the NAM. So the heaviest precip rates would be south of most of our areas. In earlier runs, we saw the strongest forcing right over us, but it also made us flirt with the mid level warmth.

namconus_temp_adv_fgen_850_neus_37.png

• Like 1