Eastern US Summer 2019 Observations and Discussions - Page 64 - US-Focused Forecast and Discussion - 33andrain Jump to content
33andrain

Eastern US Summer 2019 Observations and Discussions

Fairly uniform readings from in & around my area.

image.png

Actually awful outside, at least the stage is set for storms this evening.

• Like 2

• Like 1

Just wanted to share an interesting observation: My PWS is up to its usual summer antics. It says we're at 98 degrees, down from a high of 102 a bit earlier. Some people have said it's just not an accurate weather station, but it does fine in the winter months. It took me until today to figure out why. The PWS is mounted on a wooden deck, about 2 meters off the ground. During the winter, the sun angle is low enough that the surrounding trees keep the deck in the shade for the majority of the day. During the summer, however, the deck is in the sun. As a result, the wood gets really hot and radiates this heat to the air immediately surrounding/touching the wood, which includes the air around the PWS. Since it's wood and not concrete, I'm pretty sure that the summer minimum temperatures are still accurate, as the extra heat in the wood should leave fairly quickly after sunset if I'm not mistaken. Lesson: For accuracy, do not mount a PWS near a dark material, even if it is 2 meters off the ground. 

• Like 1

Maybe a brief spin up with this storm soon. Surprised there’s no severe warning with it yet either considering velocities in the high 50’s.D87F5D2E-5D1B-44D7-8E3A-C3392D168EB0.png.581ab24bb4621ad9a0d6972f586405a8.png

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Oglem said:

Just wanted to share an interesting observation: My PWS is up to its usual summer antics. It says we're at 98 degrees, down from a high of 102 a bit earlier. Some people have said it's just not an accurate weather station, but it does fine in the winter months. It took me until today to figure out why. The PWS is mounted on a wooden deck, about 2 meters off the ground. During the winter, the sun angle is low enough that the surrounding trees keep the deck in the shade for the majority of the day. During the summer, however, the deck is in the sun. As a result, the wood gets really hot and radiates this heat to the air immediately surrounding/touching the wood, which includes the air around the PWS. Since it's wood and not concrete, I'm pretty sure that the summer minimum temperatures are still accurate, as the extra heat in the wood should leave fairly quickly after sunset if I'm not mistaken. Lesson: For accuracy, do not mount a PWS near a dark material, even if it is 2 meters off the ground. 

They're also supposed to face a northerly direction, so as to avoid much direct sunlight, and be away from trees.

• Like 1

Improved drastically they severe warned it wouldn’t be surprised to see a tornado warning soon considering velocities.255AAA65-1B4D-4C88-A09F-B4D36EA5AD3F.png.a8cfb8481ef640cc3d7fa1182ac64a8f.png

• Like 2

3km nam is insane, granted it’s now casting time.

Pockets of cape approaching 3500 are starting to pop up around the metro area.

• Like 1

Active evening.

Just now, CCB! said:

Active evening.

That MCS is tomorrow's action.

• Like 2

The Euro backed off a bit on the extreme temps for Saturday but still gross.  

3 minutes ago, ModRisk said:

The Euro backed off a bit on the extreme temps for Saturday but still gross.  

Let's see if it's a blip & the 00Z run goes warm again or sticks with the 12Z run.