CCB!

**Hurricane Dorian Mega Thread**

HOLY.

recon_NOAA2-2605A-DORIAN_dropsonde16_20190901-0119.png

Edit: Alright time for me to stop posting for a while. I need another break again and to post less and read more.

• Like 2

Are there any indications that Long Island will be impacted with wind and rain or just too far out at this point?

2 minutes ago, sferic said:

Are there any indications that Long Island will be impacted with wind and rain or just too far out at this point?

Too far out but I wouldn't be shocked if so. But for now I'll say our shores will be spared of (what'll most likely be) a category 1, remnant low, or otherwise.

Also: I still can't believe Euro attempting to re-intensify Dorian in these waters--that just seems impossible 

Dorian is currently showing sign of modifying its own environment.  Some westward adjustment in overall track guidance is possible going forward from here.   

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Crossbowftw3 said:

This man looks as cool as the other side of the pillow. Hopefully he keeps his cool in about 36 hours.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iCyclone/status/1167915371010985989

I should’ve went to Freeport like I planned, I’m really regretting not doing that now....I was trying to keep it cheap and head for Daytona Beach.  Ahhhh

22 minutes ago, Jakkel138 said:

HOLY.

recon_NOAA2-2605A-DORIAN_dropsonde16_20190901-0119.png

Edit: Alright time for me to stop posting for a while. I need another break again and to post less and read more.

An upgrade to almost cat 6 (lol) is undeniable. 

The amount of destruction that will occur in the northern Bahamas over the next 2 days will be incredible. Without that upper trough, the southeast United States would suffer the same fate. 

Also isn't that dropsonde a case of insane winds, with the dropsonde flying around the eye, with the changes in wind direction? 

NUMEROUS additional cat 5 SFMR and FL readings on the latest pass. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Anthony Gnafakis said:

The amount of destruction that will occur in the northern Bahamas over the next 2 days will be incredible. Without that upper trough, the southeast United States would suffer the same fate. 

Not out of the woods with this one yet.  Everyone there needs to be prepared for a hit, even though that outcome isn’t the most likely.   No risk can be taken with cat 5 s 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Morris said:

NUMEROUS additional cat 5 SFMR and FL readings on the latest pass. 

Second aircraft investigating now, also has an unflagged cat 5 reading. 

Was Andrew a bigger storm in terms of size,   The pressure seems to high to be a 5 like this?   Michael was barely a 5 with a sub 920 pressure.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Was Andrew a bigger storm in terms of size,   The pressure seems to high to be a 5 like this?   Michael was barely a 5 with a sub 920 pressure.

Has to do with surrounding pressure as well.
Remember, most wind is caused by pressure gradient.

Kind of like in the winter, if you have a huge high to the north, you get a blizzard out of a 1009 low.

There isn't really a 1:1 correlation with pressure vs wind speed.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Has to do with surrounding pressure as well.
Remember, most wind is caused by pressure gradient.

Kind of like in the winter, if you have a huge high to the north, you get a blizzard out of a 1009 low.

There isn't really a 1:1 correlation with pressure vs wind speed.

Precisely.  This is why it’s so hard for an Atlantic hurricane to break the global hurricane pressure records and why the typical typhoon pressures are usually lower.  The background pressure.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JM. said:

Precisely.  This is why it’s so hard for an Atlantic hurricane to break the global hurricane pressure records and why the typical typhoon pressures are usually lower.  The background pressure.  

Yeah, you don't see many strong highs over the tropical Pacific.

• Like 1

Looks like both recon planes are heading home to bed at the same time. 

• Like 1