Marijuana Legalization - Political Discussion Topics - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ModRisk

Marijuana Legalization

If you're against it you better bring the goods lol.

• Like 1

It’s time. Been time. The science backs it up, and revenue speaks for itself.

• Like 2

I'm not really sure. Gut says I am for legalizing it. Issue I've always had is the double standard. I could easily argue Alcohol impairs more than Pot. But it's legal. Really doesn't make sense. 

• Like 1

I'd completely legalize in pill form only, for legitimate medicinal purposes.

I would not legalize it recreationally, as I'd worry about driving under the influence and things like that.

Legalize it

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Analog96 said:

I would not legalize it recreationally, as I'd worry about driving under the influence and things like that.

I'm republican but believe marijuana should be legal. I would say alcohol is a much bigger threat and no one is talking about banning that. The economic benefits that we can reap would be massive. The market for it is huge without it being legal.

• Like 3

If anyone believes that marijuana shouldn't be legalized, but is fine with alcohol being legal is a coward. Just legalize weed and build regulations around it as with alcohol. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Manny said:

If anyone believes that marijuana shouldn't be legalized, but is fine with alcohol being legal is a coward. Just legalize weed and build regulations around it as with alcohol. 

I'm not totally against this in principle, but police departments are against it, because they say they can't establish a "point of intoxication" from marijuana like they can with alcohol, nor can they test for it simply with a breathalyzer.

Until that becomes practical, I can't support full legalization of recreational marijuana.

15 hours ago, Manny said:

We should totes give the government more power. That always works out so well!

It's a complex subject. I'd generally take the libertarian view that people can do what they want, unless it impedes the safety and rights of someone else. 

However

There are some links to mental health issues, especially in adolescence. There is a chicken and egg argument there for sure. Most of Europe is a high social net place so there should be a serious thought process before formally legalizing something linked to mental health issues. There are only so many hits a society can take before falling. 

In the US the situation is a little different as the social net isn't so encompassing. Consequences are more on the individual rather than the state.

Personally not a user, I know people who are and have been. Mixed results. Some are highly successful people and have made it a casual part of their life. Some ended up deeply troubled individuals. Chicken and egg question again, though. Its use doesn't bother me as long as people suck up any potential consequences and don't burden the state with it.

47 minutes ago, JVENGE said:

It's a complex subject. I'd generally take the libertarian view that people can do what they want, unless it impedes the safety and rights of someone else. 

However

There are some links to mental health issues, especially in adolescence. There is a chicken and egg argument there for sure. Most of Europe is a high social net place so there should be a serious thought process before formally legalizing something linked to mental health issues. There are only so many hits a society can take before falling. 

In the US the situation is a little different as the social net isn't so encompassing. Consequences are more on the individual rather than the state.

Personally not a user, I know people who are and have been. Mixed results. Some are highly successful people and have made it a casual part of their life. Some ended up deeply troubled individuals. Chicken and egg question again, though. Its use doesn't bother me as long as people suck up any potential consequences and don't burden the state with it.

Yeah i mean who knows what they would have been like? They could have turned out the same way either way. I personally don't care what someone does in their own personal space. I really don't care even if someone wants to use hard drugs in their own house, as long as they don't have kids or affect anyone else, I really don't care. But unfortunately, too many other lives get affected and we have to make laws to protect people from themselves.

1 hour ago, JVENGE said:

However

I think it should be legalized for medicinal purposes. I agree with your post in that mixed results are seen with its use. Some friends who use it are very successful and others end up down a hole. But the same could be said with alcohol, so I'm not sure how to feel about recreational use. My gut says no, but it feels hypocritical in a sense. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 9:48 PM, Analog96 said:

Alcohol...

3 minutes ago, ModRisk said:

Alcohol...

Have you read my other posts, or do you just want to look cool with a nice one-word reply?

We have set laws in place regarding drinking and driving, how much is too much, etc.

When we can do that with marijuana, then we can consider legalizing it.

Unless you're fine with smoking up into a stupor and then driving a car?

1 minute ago, Analog96 said:

Have you read my other posts, or do you just want to look cool with a nice one-word reply?

We have set laws in place regarding drinking and driving, how much is too much, etc.

When we can do that with marijuana, then we can consider legalizing it.

Unless you're fine with smoking up into a stupor and then driving a car?

Lol

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 5:51 PM, Analog96 said:

I'm not totally against this in principle, but police departments are against it, because they say they can't establish a "point of intoxication" from marijuana like they can with alcohol, nor can they test for it simply with a breathalyzer.

Until that becomes practical, I can't support full legalization of recreational marijuana.

Marijuana should be legalized with measures in place, such as a baseline for what intoxication does look like. I think it's definitely complex, but I think there's has been progress with that. I also think records need to be expunged for those tied to marijuana convictions and arrests, especially since these laws have affected primarily black and brown people of low-income backgrounds. More so, there needs to be a space for these communities to profit off legalization. That's why NYS still hasn't legalized it yet, because it needs to be done right.  

On 12/5/2019 at 7:59 AM, 33andrain said:

We should totes give the government more power. That always works out so well!

See my other post. I agree with legalization not because of government regulation, but because of the benefits that can come with legalization especially in the criminal justice system and economically for local communities if legalized in the way many states are trying to do so (NJ and NY) for example. 

Sign in to follow this