Share Your Political Profile - Part 1 - Political Discussion Topics - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
33andrain

Share Your Political Profile - Part 1

Let's get to know one another's political views. I pulled these from Isidewith. Give a quick summary of your views using the list below. This is an initial list of hot button topics. Can expand later or let the discussion flow naturally.

• Abortion - What is your stance on abortion?
  • LGBT Adoption Rights - Should gay couples have the same adoption rights as straight couples?
  • Gun Control - Should there by more restrictions on the current process of purchasing a gun?
  • Equal Pay - Should employers be required to pay men and women the same salary for the same job?
  • Climate Change - Should the government increase environmental regulations to prevent climate change?
  • LGBT Marriage - Do you support legalization of same sex marriage?

I will go first. Overall, I classify myself as an Independent. I have what are considered to be conservative views on some issues and what are considered to be liberal views on others. Though, what it means to be both is and has been evolving steadily over the past 20-30 years.

Pro-Life in theory, but I recognize my own hypocrisy, in that, if the situation happened to me, especially at a younger age, I would want the mother to consider having an abortion. So, I am Pro-Choice generally. I do not believe the choice is solely the woman's just because she carries the baby; that's just illogical and unfair. Obviously, I support abortions in cases of rape and incest. Second trimester abortions start to make me more uneasy, though, especially toward the back half.
  • LGBT Adoption Rights - Should gay couples have the same adoption rights as straight couples?
    Yes. What other people do is really none of my business. I know same-sex couples who are wonderful parents. It is 2019, not 1920. Buck up Republicans!
  • Gun Control - Should there by more restrictions on the current process of purchasing a gun?
    Clearly, the laws we in place are either not being enforces or are not impactful enough. Both lead me to think we need additional laws in place. We have a gun problem in America. I own a gun, so I'm not some anti-gun nut. The NRA doesn't help the situation. Neither do calls to ban all guns. Banning bumps stocks was a good start, but I do think we could consider removing certain high powered rifles from general circulation. If the government decides to engage in tyranny, your 2 AR-15s aren't going to do much to protect you and your family.
  • Equal Pay - Should employers be required to pay men and women the same salary for the same job?
    Yes. I support equality of opportunities, not equality of outcomes. If a man and a woman are doing the same job and performing at the same level, they should be paid equally for it. I do not think a woman should be penalized because she is having a baby. I also believe the person doing the better job should be paid more, regardless of gender or any other variable. 
  • Climate Change - Should the government increase environmental regulations to prevent climate change?
    The climate IS changing. Humans appear to be having at least some impact on it, though I do question exactly how much given what little data we have available before a few thousand years ago. There are obviously natural planetary cycles at play as well. It's dangerous to assume too much without the data to back it up. When making any decision! My view is...if we can take steps to treat the planet better, we should! Why would we not?!? That being said, there are other countries in the world who pollute far worse than us, and who are not taking steps to reduce their emissions. China and India...looking at you brahs. Clean up your act and stop lecturing us.
    Yes. Why the F would I care what two other people decide to do. They should also have the same rights as any other married couple. In 2019, I find it increasingly disturbing that there are people in this country who do not feel this way.
  • Like 2

I'm pro-choice.  What many pro-lifers don't understand is being pro-choise doesn't equal being pro abortion.  I don't know a single person who's pro abortion including me.  I agree with Geoff that once we get to the second trimester, the idea of an abortion makes me feel uneasy.  I guess that makes it a good thing that it's very uncommon and completely none of my damn business.    
    Duh...
    We clearly have a huge gun issue.  I'm sick of inaction.  Wtf is wrong with our country.  I'm not saying to ban all guns but can we try to be fucking reasonable??
    Duh....I mean as long as they are both doing the same work at the same level.  If one sucks that person should obviously be paid less.  
    It's crazy how political something that shouldn't be politcal at all has become.  Climate change is real.   We as a country need to start taking it much more seriously.   Our country needs to set an example for the world.  This post would be too long if I got specific.
    Duh.....everyone deserves the same civil rights. Anyone who wants to take my brother's rights away is gross.  
  • Like 1

• Abortion - What is your stance on abortion?

Against it besides for when the baby endangers the mother's life. A person's irresponsibility or horrible crime cannot be used to kill a living person, no matter how early in its life cycle. 

I don't have enough information on this and would think this should be fine, unless there is data to show otherwise (I do believe that children thrive most in a traditional father/mother household). 

• Gun Control - Should there by more restrictions on the current process of purchasing a gun?

Definitely not. Time and again crimes committed with firearms occur in cities with extreme gun laws or when law enforcement did not properly enforce existing laws already on the books. To penalize law abiding citizens for the acts of criminals who acquire their weapons illegally, is absurd. 

Under the exact same circumstances, one should not be descriminates against. The data typically pushed on this topic, is skewed to lend the appearance of inequality. 

• Climate Change - Should the government increase environmental regulations to prevent climate change?

No. The data just isn't there to support direct human involvement, and private industry is far more capable at dealing with this issue. Furthermore, when the US keeps reducing its carbon emissions while Asia and other third world countries keep pumping out more, the response should not be greater US government involvement and restrictions on us

• LGBT Marriage - Do you support legalization of same sex marriage?

Definitely. It isn't my business how individuals want to live their lives

• Like 2

Let's see... generally against abortion, unless in cases of rape, incest, danger to the mother's life, or cases where the baby would be born as a vegetable, all if done early, of course.  Fairly low priority, for me, though.

I'm not really against gays adopting... I generally understand the concept of "the child could grow up better in a stable gay couple than a bad straight couple".  I just wonder if daddy and daddy or mommy and mommy coming to school functions could cause problems, like bullying.

Gun Control- I like the idea of background checks, continuing psychological evaluations, and really tight regulations on automatic weapons.  But at the same time, we do have a constitutional right, if we are good, law-abiding citizens, to own a gun.

Equal Pay- I believe they already ARE required, as long as both person's qualifications and experience levels are the same, so of course!

Climate Change- No, we already do enough and have enough regulations.  Other countries need to chip in more.

LGBT Marriage- Of course! It's not my business or the government's business who marries or what people do in their own lives.  If I do not want to go to a same-sex marriage, I cannot be forced to, but I don't have a problem with what people decide to do in their own lives.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this