Your Favorite Winter Storm - Page 4 - Forecasting and Discussion - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
NJwxguy78

Your Favorite Winter Storm

28 minutes ago, Thundersnow3765 said:

If I was alive for Jan 96 that probably would have been my #1

I’m starting to dislike this thread.  Too many reminders I’m getting old 😆

EDIT:

I also kind of liked the February 2007 storm.  We had several inches of snow and sleet followed by rain, but the temps crashed and I remember chunks of ice forming on my brother’s skid loader that I was running.  Where places weren’t plowed before the rapid freeze we had to dig it out, and I remember picking up 4’x4’ pieces of ice with the loader.  It was definitely unique.

• Like 2

Jan 2016 29”

Boxing Day 25”

Jan 27 2011 20”

1996 Too young to remember how much

Feb 2010 retrograde blizzard 21”

in that order. 

3 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Just for fun

8F4C9B2A-2711-4670-98D7-1198AEAB7CB5.png

F6B32FBE-11DB-4BDD-BA44-C6FD0FF69D40.jpeg

606276C3-9A18-4DDD-A826-DEC8F9B11E68.gif

96F5686C-4BBA-49EF-AF62-EA79DCB06AE9.jpeg

Truly magnificent sfc map.

If the blizzard of 1996 was measured like we do today, I wouldn't have not been surprised if parts of NJ/PA had exceeded 40". As great as 2016 was, it quite does not match those amounts. I will you one storm that could have easily beaten 1996.... February 9-10, 2010. And that had so much liquid and it was incredibly dynamic. It was unreal how the sfc low exploded in that one, that could have easily produced 40" plus.  The first, February 5-6, wasn't quite as cold as February 9-10.  

I remain convinced that one day we will get a 40-44 inch snowstorm in the near future. 

• Like 2

Speaking of The February 2007 Sleet storm The question that I have at hand is for every inch of sleet equals how many inches of rain 

5 hours ago, Chris L said:

If the blizzard of 1996 was measured like we do today, I wouldn't have not been surprised if parts of NJ/PA had exceeded 40". As great as 2016 was, it quite does not match those amounts. I will you one storm that could have easily beaten 1996.... February 9-10, 2010. And that had so much liquid and it was incredibly dynamic. It was unreal how the sfc low exploded in that one, that could have easily produced 40" plus.  The first, February 5-6, wasn't quite as cold as February 9-10.  

I remain convinced that one day we will get a 40-44 inch snowstorm in the near future. 

I'm glad someone mentioned this storm, it's my all-time favorite (I'm 26, so I don't remember 1996 and I was attending college in upstate NY so I missed 2011 and 2016). It saved the winter of 2009-2010 for me in Allentown after we got fringed by the December 19-20  and Feb 5-6 events (and later, the Snowicane). I remember waking up the morning of the 10th and being disappointed by how little snow we had gotten from the front end. Then the radar started blowing up like it was 70 dp day in August and around 10:30 the main show came in like a wall. From 11 AM to 6 PM we got 15" of snow, despite marginal surface temps and poor ratios. The whole thing was over by 8 PM. If that storm had come anywhere close to the duration of 96, PD2 or 16, it would have smashed every snowfall record in SEPA. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

I'm glad someone mentioned this storm, it's my all-time favorite (I'm 26, so I don't remember 1996 and I was attending college in upstate NY so I missed 2011 and 2016). It saved the winter of 2009-2010 for me in Allentown after we got fringed by the December 19-20  and Feb 5-6 events (and later, the Snowicane). I remember waking up the morning of the 10th and being disappointed by how little snow we had gotten from the front end. Then the radar started blowing up like it was 70 dp day in August and around 10:30 the main show came in like a wall. From 11 AM to 6 PM we got 15" of snow, despite marginal surface temps and poor ratios. The whole thing was over by 8 PM. If that storm had come anywhere close to the duration of 96, PD2 or 16, it would have smashed every snowfall record in SEPA. 

Agreed. It would of been a lot more if temperatures were in the 20’s as oppose to the lower 30’s. I remember hearing snow melting shortly after that storm ended. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

Exactly. The poor sfc temps and the ratios were terrible in the beginning and I remember thinking if it was a tad cooler and had more powdery snow, this would be an all timer, easily 35-40 inches. Unbelievable stuff. I remember reading that Baltimore getting 20 inches once it flipped over to the wall of snow. 

These Snow Squall Events might take the cake for my favorite intense snow events.

• Like 2

Best dynamics - Feb 12, 2006. About 4 hours off of and on thunder snow overnight while i lived in Chelsea Manhattan. Insanity. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 33andrain said:

Best dynamics - Feb 12, 2006. About 4 hours off of and on thunder snow overnight while i lived in Chelsea Manhattan. Insanity. 

this is the fourth post of yours  I’ve read today that references a different place you lived 😂 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

this is the fourth post of yours  I’ve read today that references a different place you lived 😂 

🤦‍♂️ Why do i do this to myself?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 33andrain said:

One of my favorites as well. Had many lightning strikes and 3”+ hour rates for several hours in the middle of the night. Finished with 18” in Chester county pa. I don’t remember much wind with the storm. I do remember those phenomenal satellite images that storm gave us though. 

• Like 2

There are so many great memories of where I was watching all of these in my life. 

It's why I love this stuff so much.

It reminds me of so many great things, family and homes as these occured. 

I remeber watching the Blizzard of 78 as a little kid from the 1st floor of our brownstone in Park slope and how our side of the street recieved the drifts. 

I remember the drifts went 2/3 rds of the way up on the windows and how cool it was that you could not walk in the little area way ( that's what they called it back then).

And how the drifts on our side of the street made walking impossible.

I remember being in Dyker Heights in 96 and how completely impassable the side streets were.

How hard it snowed and for how long.

I remember being in Glen Cove in 03 when 3 days prior the forecast was fie this to stay to my south

How in the end the stop signs on the N shore were completely covered.

How I sat and watched the snow fall and the weather channel at the same time all day.

I remember coming back to my Dyker Apt 2 days later and seeing how that block was just a disaster.

I remember just moving into my Colts Neck house in early December 2010 with my wife and how the models 2 days before Christmas at 12z changed my mindset everytime I look at a model runs of a snowstorm on the EC.

How unbelievable that system just cranked over the area and how stranded we were for 3 days before anyone was plowed out. 

There are so many others 82, 06 the winter of 09/10 and how up in Laurel Hollow the snow piles that February were the most I have ever seen.

This stuff is more than weather to me, the really big storms that I have experienced in my life have been reminders of the little things in life that others view as an inconvenience became memory makers for me.

I figured we have a 10 day break so why not take a trip down memory lane to pass the time. 

• Like 4

Most overrated (for my location) but still undeniably awesome. Blizzard of 96. I was living in Moorestown, NJ at the time. Cherry Hill, NJ two towns away inexplicably reported one of the highest totals in the i95 corridor - 35.6”. My dad and i measured 18”. Wtf?

• Like 4

Biggest regret. Missing Boxing Day while on vacation in Florida. Still remember tracking with many of y’all. It was so much fun, but missing that one sucked. I’d feel even worse about that if i lived in SP since they infamously jackpotted that storm. I still lived in Southern Manhattan at that time with my now wifey. 

• Like 2

Boxing Day was insane was living in Caldwell at the time (which is so much better for snow than dunellen) had my two buddies over watching football all day, drinking. We got the idea to walk to the bar after the 4 o’clock game basically in the height of the storm. A normal 10 minute walk took us 45 mins. We helped push a FIRE TRUCK that was stuck on Bloomfield ave. I’ve never seen winds that intense for that long of a time. Wish I still had a pic of my old car all you could see was the antenna poking out the back. 

PD Blizzard Numero 1 - 3 days of snow if I recall correctly and massive drifts

Blizzard of '96 - just insane snow amounts and crippled teh Megalopolis for days - remember RT 80 where i lives in Paterson was closed - not a plow lane nuttin they brought in the snow throwers you see from Newark Airport to clear the road. The Squirrelwood Road overpass was almost completed drifted over just incredible to see. The cold snap after was awesome.

Blizzard of '83 - one the greatest 180's of all time as listening to teh radio before school on that Feb morning they were saying teh storm was OTS and we'd see 1-3". AT 1PM our History said we had a blizzard warning and we'd be getting out of school at 2:30 - by then it was ripping. Insane hourly snowfall amounts as I measured 3" per hour rates for about 4 hours before my mom - I was in Middle School 12 yrs old at the time - told me I couldn't go out to measure any more

MLK 1994 driving rain to ice/snow storm - I remember listening to the DPW on teh local channels in Passaic county talking how the rain was turning to ice and that they had flooding in some low land areas. Went to bed thinking not to much and got the phone call at 5:30AM that school was closed and looked at my window and was amazed how everything was encrusted in a thick layer of ice and snow - it closed school for a week!

PD2 - could not get out of my house through any doors so I had to climb out the window - measured 28" for that storm. My son was 3 at the time and I dug a path for him and the path was as tall as he was in many drifted areas.

So many great storm and these are teh ones that stick out in my mind the most overall