Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020 - Political Discussion Topics - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
Jakkel138

Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020

In light of the recent coronavirus outbreak that just started around a week ago, I've decided to start a thread about the potentially deadly virus. The amount of infected people has reached nearly 1300 people, double what it was yesterday. The sheer amount of infections will likely cause an increase in virus mutations. So far, 41 people have died from the virus.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Jakkel138 said:

In light of the recent coronavirus outbreak that just started around a week ago, I've decided to start a thread about the potentially deadly virus. The amount of infected people has reached nearly 1300 people, double what it was yesterday. The sheer amount of infections will likely cause an increase in virus mutations. So far, 41 people have died from the virus.

If you read the actual accounts from multiple people on the ground in Wuhan, the incubation period is 10-15 days. It’s already everywhere.

I can tell you that during the aftermath of Sandy, there were knife fights over food and gasoline after the grid was down for only four days in northern nj. 

Watch this History Channel video:

• Like 1

My old man is in China for the new year. Coming home early

13 minutes ago, Psv said:

Was he in Wuhan?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Psv said:

Hope he’s healthy and gets home safe. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jakkel138 said:

So far, 1475 people have been infected with the coronavirus in China, with 56 people dead

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-01/26/c_138734335.htm

I had the same exact symptoms that was described from the coronavirus a few weeks ago. Did I have that virus? 

• Like 1

A very enlightening article on this particular virus and how it compares to other strains of the other corona viruses. 

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-new-wuhan-coronavirus-stacks-up-against-sars-mers

Anyway, a vaccine is coming within a few weeks. That guy that fully recovered in Washington State will offer his antibodies for the vaccine. For mass production of the antibodies to inject into others to get rid of the virus. There are other people that will recover soon.

• Like 2

Wash you hands.  You'll be fine.  

10 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

I had the same exact symptoms that was described from the coronavirus a few weeks ago. Did I have that virus? 

Same, maybe. We’ll find out in thirty years lol

9 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

A very enlightening article on this particular virus and how it compares to other strains of the other corona viruses. 

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/how-new-wuhan-coronavirus-stacks-up-against-sars-mers

Anyway, a vaccine is coming within a few weeks. That guy that fully recovered in Washington State will offer his antibodies for the vaccine. For mass production of the antibodies to inject into others to get rid of the virus. There are other people that will recover soon.

I agree with you re:vaccine. We don’t even need his antibodies. Vaccines for MERS (previously “novel” Coronavirus in the Middle East) were close to being produced before the virus largely burned itself out.

You see a higher vaccine injury rate with new vaccines like this - it would only make sense to get it if the virus continues burning through the population at the current rate. 

Great article from NatGeo 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/news/2014/5/140523-mers-vaccine-camels-virus-flu-saudi-pandemic-science

2 hours ago, ModRisk said:

Wash you hands.  You'll be fine.  

LOL.  Tell that to the 100,000+ already infected and the 1,000+ already dead.

• Like 3

Great, quick read if you like to dabble in horrible stories about viruses. There are free pdf’s all over the internet - or your favorite ebook retailer. 

The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story is a best-selling[1] 1994[2] nonfiction thriller by Richard Preston about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers, particularly ebolavirusesand marburgviruses. The basis of the book was Preston's 1992 New Yorker article "Crisis in the Hot Zone".[3]

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

there won’t be a vaccine in weeks. Takes 6 months to a year to develop a vaccine 

13 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

Was he in Wuhan?

No thankfully 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Psv said:

there won’t be a vaccine in weeks. Takes 6 months to a year to develop a vaccine 

For an unfamiliar virus, definitely. Although this strain is similar to other coronavirus strains, so it may not take that long. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Event Horizon said:

For an unfamiliar virus, definitely. Although this strain is similar to other coronavirus strains, so it may not take that long. 

6 months is the shortest time frame. Everything I have read says that doctors know very little about the virus, hence it’s name which means unknown. 

heck doctors only learned today that transmission occurs when patients are asymptomatic, contrary to prior belief. 

the vaccine “within weeks” is made up honestly. It takes months just for clinical trials alone, even if it were developed today. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Psv said:

6 months is the shortest time frame. Everything I have read says that doctors know very little about the virus, hence it’s name which means unknown. 

heck doctors only learned today that transmission occurs when patients are asymptomatic, contrary to prior belief. 

the vaccine “within weeks” is made up honestly. It takes months just for clinical trials alone, even if it were developed today. 

Oh. Well, this isn't good. I guess that's why the virus is moderately contagious.