Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020 - Page 168 - Political Discussion Topics - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
Jakkel138

Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020

28 minutes ago, Heavy snow said:

If you freeze mortgages then your landlord can help you because he knows he has no bills to pay that month. 

Landlord also wouldn't be obligated too help or cut you a break, legally you'd still owe the money to them even if the landlord is just making a big profit for the month.

13 hours ago, CCB! said:

😢

We are doing window visits at my facility as well.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ModRisk said:

We are doing window visits at my facility as well.  

How has the stress level been?

Time for takeoff peeps. We are hearing up near full throttle in the coming days after clearing the launching pad sad to say. Not hype just in the numbers and analogs we have seen in previous said countries (excluding China they are not truthful in their reporting).

• Like 2

Anyone see this? Not sure if this was posted at all on here. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, user13 said:

How has the stress level been?

Extreme.  But we aren't talking about the same type of stress.  I don't work at an acute care hospital.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MI Storm said:

You make a great point. When I spoke earlier I had no idea 17 percent of NY cases were in the hospital from this. It's easy to think with your heart in a situation like this. I know out here today was the first day people really started taking this seriously. 

No sweat at all - I know you meant well, thanks for your consideration...

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 1:55 PM, ru848789 said:

Agreed.  The masks are largely useless in "protecting" the wearer from getting infected, but they're excellent at preventing an infected person from transmitting the virus to others, which is why doctors wear them all the time in high risk interactions, like surgeries or in infectious disease wards or even just around the elderly.  The biggest problem we have with this virus is that there are a decent percentage of people of all ages who have the virus and are contagious, but simply don't know that, especially given the 5-6 day median time from infection to symptoms (during which they're contagious) and given that a decent percentage of people become infected and never get symptoms, but can spread the virus to others.  

Revisiting this with the latest from Italy, suggesting more than half of positive cases are asymptomatic and some are contagious, so infection and re-infection is going on, including from doctors/nurses to patients (since they don't know it). Here's the translation. This is not "peer-reviewed" medical literature, but it's clearly breaking news from the front from medical professionals. Further reason for everyone to stay in quarantine or if they venture outside, to wear masks, mostly so infected but asymptomatic (or mildly symptomatic) people don't keep infecting others.  The part in bold is very encouraging, but we'd need to be doing more testing to find these asymptomatic carriers - sound familiar?  @USCG RS @wxmd529- fyi...

ROME - "The vast majority of people infected with Covid-19, between 50 and 75%, are completely asymptomatic but represent a formidable source of contagion". The Professor of Clinical Immunology of the University of Florence Sergio Romagnani writes this at the top of the Tuscany Region, in anticipation of a strong increase in cases also in the Region, on the basis of the study on the inhabitants of Vo 'Euganeo where the 3000 inhabitants of the country are been subjected to swab. The immunologist explains that the data provided by the study carried out on all the inhabitants of Vo 'Euganeo highlight two very important information: "the percentage of infected people, even if asymptomatic, in the population is very high and represents the majority of cases above all, but not only that, among young people; and the isolation of asymptomatics is essential to be able to control the spread of the virus and the severity of the disease ".

For Romagnani, what is now crucial in the battle against the virus is "trying to flush out asymptomatic people who are already infected because nobody fears or isolates them. This is particularly true for categories such as doctors and nurses who frequently develop an infection. asymptomatic by continuing to spread the infection between them and their patients. " And again: "It is being decided not to swab doctors and nurses again unless they develop symptoms. But in light of the results of Vo 'study, this decision can be extremely dangerous; hospitals risk becoming areas of high prevalence of infected in which no infected is isolated ". In Vo '- Romagnani points out - with the isolation of infected subjects, the total number of patients fell from 88 to 7 (at least 10 times less) within 7-10 days.

The isolation of the infected (symptomatic or non-symptomatic) was not only able to protect other people from contagion, but also appeared to protect against the serious evolution of the disease in infected subjects because the cure rate in infected patients, if isolated, was in 60% of cases equal to only 8 days.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/me...ArbXrCIy2EkiGesR-LB9XeqvqWmKxTJCo5MzJcBuvQwRc

As an aside, I posted about this days ago somewhere, but the Diamond Princess data showed similar outcomes, in which 17% of 3700 passengers were positive (everyone was tested on the big floating virus transmission experiment), but of those nearly half were asymptomatic. We've known the DP data for weeks now. The report below just confirms that.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

• Like 4

Good info @ru848789

Unrelated but interesting- the “patient zero” timeline keeps getting pushed back earlier. We’re at November 17th now and they are still tracing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3074991/coronavirus-chinas-first-confirmed-covid-19-case-traced-back

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ru848789 said:

Revisiting this with the latest from Italy, suggesting more than half of positive cases are asymptomatic and some are contagious, so infection and re-infection is going on, including from doctors/nurses to patients (since they don't know it). Here's the translation. This is not "peer-reviewed" medical literature, but it's clearly breaking news from the front from medical professionals. Further reason for everyone to stay in quarantine or if they venture outside, to wear masks, mostly so infected but asymptomatic (or mildly symptomatic) people don't keep infecting others.  The part in bold is very encouraging, but we'd need to be doing more testing to find these asymptomatic carriers - sound familiar?  @USCG RS @wxmd529- fyi...

ROME - "The vast majority of people infected with Covid-19, between 50 and 75%, are completely asymptomatic but represent a formidable source of contagion". The Professor of Clinical Immunology of the University of Florence Sergio Romagnani writes this at the top of the Tuscany Region, in anticipation of a strong increase in cases also in the Region, on the basis of the study on the inhabitants of Vo 'Euganeo where the 3000 inhabitants of the country are been subjected to swab. The immunologist explains that the data provided by the study carried out on all the inhabitants of Vo 'Euganeo highlight two very important information: "the percentage of infected people, even if asymptomatic, in the population is very high and represents the majority of cases above all, but not only that, among young people; and the isolation of asymptomatics is essential to be able to control the spread of the virus and the severity of the disease ".

For Romagnani, what is now crucial in the battle against the virus is "trying to flush out asymptomatic people who are already infected because nobody fears or isolates them. This is particularly true for categories such as doctors and nurses who frequently develop an infection. asymptomatic by continuing to spread the infection between them and their patients. " And again: "It is being decided not to swab doctors and nurses again unless they develop symptoms. But in light of the results of Vo 'study, this decision can be extremely dangerous; hospitals risk becoming areas of high prevalence of infected in which no infected is isolated ". In Vo '- Romagnani points out - with the isolation of infected subjects, the total number of patients fell from 88 to 7 (at least 10 times less) within 7-10 days.

The isolation of the infected (symptomatic or non-symptomatic) was not only able to protect other people from contagion, but also appeared to protect against the serious evolution of the disease in infected subjects because the cure rate in infected patients, if isolated, was in 60% of cases equal to only 8 days.

https://www.repubblica.it/salute/me...ArbXrCIy2EkiGesR-LB9XeqvqWmKxTJCo5MzJcBuvQwRc

As an aside, I posted about this days ago somewhere, but the Diamond Princess data showed similar outcomes, in which 17% of 3700 passengers were positive (everyone was tested on the big floating virus transmission experiment), but of those nearly half were asymptomatic. We've known the DP data for weeks now. The report below just confirms that.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/coronavirus-outbreak-diamond-princess-cruise-ship-death-rate

Wouldn’t this argue then for a nationwide shelter in place? Healthy carriers are living life as usual now, going to work etc. seems like the healthy carriers are the problem 

Is it possible to have this virus without having all the symptoms. I have recently developed a dry cough but no runny nose and no fever. I feel like I should play it safe anyhow and not leave my home for the next 2 weeks. I truly hope I don't have it because if I do it means a lot of people at my college who also recently went home for spring break have it and may be unknowingly spreading it !!🙄.

Edit: I did have a runny nose a few days ago but had subsequently went away and ceased to have symptoms until what I just mentioned. 

1 hour ago, Psv said:

Wouldn’t this argue then for a nationwide shelter in place? Healthy carriers are living life as usual now, going to work etc. seems like the healthy carriers are the problem 

That would be fantastic, but the Feds don't seem to want to do that.  Keeping carriers isolated is critical and if we can't do that, the next best thing would be having healthy carriers wearing masks to keep them from infecting others, but we don't have the masks either or the good sense to use them if we did.  And intensive testing to find and quarantine these carriers (and their contacts) would also be great, but we don't have enough test kits. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Upstate25 said:

Is it possible to have this virus without having all the symptoms. I have recently developed a dry cough but no runny nose and no fever. I feel like I should play it safe anyhow and not leave my home for the next 2 weeks. I truly hope I don't have it because if I do it means a lot of people at my college who also recently went home for spring break have it and may be unknowingly spreading it 🙄.

Read my post just above.  The Italians are confirming what the Diamond Princess saw, that maybe half of positive cases are asymptomatic and we know a decent percentage of them are shedding enough virus to be contagious, sometimes highly contagious, like the "superspreaders" we've seen.  The point of social distancing is for everyone to stay in, but if you have even mild symptoms it's even more important for you to not come within 6 feet of anyone at all.  It's also why we need more friggin' tests so you would be able to find out if you're positive, but I don't think they're allowing people in your situation to get tested - maybe in NY now, though, as I hear they've been allowed to start testing in their own labs and are ramping up fast.  Good luck to you and great to hear your concern for others.  

• Like 2

Pretty much every public school system in the US if not much of the world is closed right now. What is so eye opening even for someone who works in a school setting is just how much of a social blanket schools are for the greater community. 

Updated numbers for Pennsylvania by county as of 7:15 pm last night, glad they finally are getting around to 2 updates a day. So far no cases in Berks, Lancaster, Lebanon, or York Counties. Though I expect that to change with more testing....

Allegheny 5
Bucks 5
Chester 2
Cumberland  5
Delaware 7
Lehigh 1
Luzerne 1
Monroe 8
Montgomery 30
Northampton 1
Philadelphia 8
Pike 1
Wayne 1
Washington 1

From Forbes on ventilators:

Could manufacturers of these devices boost output? Yes, but not overnight.

"We could increase production five-fold in a 90- to 120-day period," says Chris Kiple, chief executive of Ventec Life Systems, a Bothell, Wash. firm that makes ventilators used in hospitals, homes and ambulances. He’d have to tool up production lines, train assemblers and testers and get parts. Accelerating the parts delivery might be the toughest task, he says.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2020/03/14/ventilator-maker-we-can-ramp-up-production-five-fold/#640f37dc5e9a

• Like 1