Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020 - Page 294 - Political Discussion Topics - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
Jakkel138

Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, wxmd529 said:

I didn't say I don't think we need a stimulus. I think we do. I think the question is do huge bailouts for big corporations make sense if this is just a 15 day "pause." It is 100% a reasonable question. Shift the benefit of this to the people and I'm fully on board 

 

They are loans to cover salaries, debt service.

Those companies have corp debt that pay debt service to funds held in a retirees 401k.

The businesses are closed for businesses globally so where's the income coming from ? 

 

Then how fast does a major airlines fill up their flights for travel.

 

The stimulus can't be used for buybacks for 2 years etc.

 

The stimulus needed for workers is incredible.

1.6 Trillion is not enough,  trust me

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

3 million may file for unemployment,  does the reporter not realize people live pay check to paycheck

That's part of the stimulus.

 

Meanwhile in insular Washington courtesy of The Washington Post:

 

Headline-03232020.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, USCG RS said:

About time we go after price gouging.

There's no such thing as price gouging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Italy is going to pass China in total cases in a few days and have lapped them on deaths.  
 

Italy 60M people. 
 

China 1.5B people.

 

When this is all over I will be supremely disappointed if this country is not united to completely bend them over as long as we can. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick update

 

 

Screenshot_20200323-195852_Chrome.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wxmd529 said:

What do you say about trump not declining that some bailout money could go to trump properties?

 

So what ? He's suppose to allow some of his properties purposley to go Bankrupt to appease the left ? 

That's so petty bro.

His mandate is to save airlines , Hospitality and ALL businesses from imploding.

 

If the FED is giving out loans he will have to repay them like everyone else.

 

You want to save businesses and workers, not just hurt a singular one off over politics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Meanwhile in insular Washington courtesy of The Washington Post:

 

Headline-03232020.jpg

 

Should be 100 impeachment charges filed

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PB GFI said:

 

So what ? He's suppose to allow some of his properties purposley to go Bankrupt to appease the left ? 

That's so petty bro.

His mandate is to save airlines , Hospitality and ALL businesses from imploding.

 

If the FED is giving out loans he will have to repay them like everyone else.

 

You want to save businesses and workers, not just hurt a singular one off over politics.

hah that post was supposed to be deleted I tried to hide it. I realized it sounded petty and didn't reflect the point I was trying to get across which was not having enough regulations in place to avoid mishandling of bailout money

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ModRisk said:

Quick update

 

 

Screenshot_20200323-195852_Chrome.jpg

I'm sorry - i don't see how China just miraculously stopped having cases and only 80k+ were infected there w/ a population of 1.5 billion.  There is NO way to know that their numbers are correct

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jefflaw77 said:

I'm sorry - i don't see how China just miraculously stopped having cases and only 80k+ were infected there w/ a population of 1.5 billion.  There is NO way to know that their numbers are correct

I'll give you a clue. They didn't. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jefflaw77 said:

I'm sorry - i don't see how China just miraculously stopped having cases and only 80k+ were infected there w/ a population of 1.5 billion.  There is NO way to know that their numbers are correct

 

They are full of @$^*(

For sure.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say I do not envy any  politician At this moment. I’m glad to be here with all of you! We will get through this. I do think the states will not let up on the lockdowns as they can control there own cities regardless of when the federal government opens things up again. It will be up to the state’s to read the situations going on day by day, week by week. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, wxmd529 said:

One thing which I was just pondering as I listened to an epidemiologist on CNN (Dr. John Ioannidis). A lot of our modeling about the length of time it takes to get through a population relies on flawed numbers on the incidence and prevalence of the virus. Right now NYC has ~13,000 cases. The population is 8 million. Almost all of these are symptomatic cases and from data elsewhere it appears roughly 50% of patients (possibly even more!) are asymptomatic. So even with conservative estimates the incidence in NYC could be 25,000-50,000 in such a short time. This is also with many people not being able to get tested. Until we get serologic testing underway to get a true sense of what proportion of the population has been infected our modeling will continue to be flawed....

Not sure if you've seen my posts on that, but I think a lack of antibody sampling in some decent sized random populations in a few areas (NYC, Seattle and maybe a mid-size city and a suburb) to establish what % of the population has been exposed to the virus and has antibodies, but would never know it is critical.  It's a huge blind spot.  What if 20, 30 or 50% of the population has the antibodies and can't now be infected (slowing transmission) and could go about life without any concern? 

 

That would make all the worst case scenarios much less likely, even though we'd still need to get through this exponential growth phase and try to flatten it (with much better social distancing, testing, tracing and quarantining of positives and their contacts) so as to not overwhelm folks on the front lines, like yourself.  And by installing a much larger testing/tracking system and a much larger health care system infrastructure in places at risk, we'd then be in a much better position for any future flare ups, which will likely come when we eventually back off on the controls in place.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ru848789 said:

Not sure if you've seen my posts on that, but I think a lack of antibody sampling in some decent sized random populations in a few areas (NYC, Seattle and maybe a mid-size city and a suburb) to establish what % of the population has been exposed to the virus and has antibodies, but would never know it is critical.  It's a huge blind spot.  What if 20, 30 or 50% of the population has the antibodies and can't now be infected (slowing transmission) and could go about life without any concern? 

 

That would make all the worst case scenarios much less likely, even though we'd still need to get through this exponential growth phase and try to flatten it (with much better social distancing, testing, tracing and quarantining of positives and their contacts) so as to not overwhelm folks on the front lines, like yourself.  And by installing a much larger testing/tracking system and a much larger health care system infrastructure in places at risk, we'd then be in a much better position for any future flare ups, which will likely come when we eventually back off on the controls in place.  

IIrc Cuomo said the antibody testing is coming New York's way pretty soon, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our worst days are ahead of us. God save the front line healthcare workers from bureaucratic idiocracy.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ru848789 said:

Not sure if you've seen my posts on that, but I think a lack of antibody sampling in some decent sized random populations in a few areas (NYC, Seattle and maybe a mid-size city and a suburb) to establish what % of the population has been exposed to the virus and has antibodies, but would never know it is critical.  It's a huge blind spot.  What if 20, 30 or 50% of the population has the antibodies and can't now be infected (slowing transmission) and could go about life without any concern? 

 

That would make all the worst case scenarios much less likely, even though we'd still need to get through this exponential growth phase and try to flatten it (with much better social distancing, testing, tracing and quarantining of positives and their contacts) so as to not overwhelm folks on the front lines, like yourself.  And by installing a much larger testing/tracking system and a much larger health care system infrastructure in places at risk, we'd then be in a much better position for any future flare ups, which will likely come when we eventually back off on the controls in place.  

Wholeheartedly agree. If instead the prevalence is lower than we thought, well that intensifies the worry about this spreading throughout the population 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Our worst days are ahead of us. God save the front line healthcare workers from bureaucratic idiocracy.

 

 

 

 

Is that due to more testing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is everyone doing with store bought packages - full cleaning disinfectant wipes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...