Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020

34 minutes ago, CCB! said:

Best wishes for the Dr. & you have to hope that his patients haven't contracted the virus.

edit: a bit more info on the case. I can't find background on the doctor's age/history. https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2020/03/09/coronavirus-childrens-hospital-of-philadelphia-doctor-king-of-prussia-site-tests-positive-covid19/

I wonder if this is thr guy who was making a plea for his friend yesterday

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks - just a quick drop in here. I know things have progressed quite a bit with the situation. Frankly, I haven't seen any new news in the past three days, I've got a lot of catching up to do. Re

Me and the crew!     

Some major updates this morning coming from yet unreleased/unpublished data for NYC in particular. Highlights;   1) we’re currently peaking/have peaked  2) lockdown/social distancing wa

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, user13 said:

I wonder if this is thr guy who was making a plea for his friend yesterday

I was wondering the same thing once I saw that. Both cardiologists in the tri-state area. But I don't want to speculate right now. They'll release the pertinent information in time as long as it falls between the bounds of hippa laws & public health safety. 

1 minute ago, MesoBanding said:

At least they have great wine over there.  

If I had to be shut in for a few weeks, I could think of worse places to be... 

31 minutes ago, rmeyn1 said:

It’s purely precautionary, and wise. The government can’t do everything for people, as much as some would like. 

Right. We should each develop our own testing and treatment as well. None of that damn government involvement!

Here is the ultimate question - if you are one of the people against additional measures of control (limited public meetings, school closures, limited travel, etc.) you also have to scientifically be able to say why the Italian situation cannot/will not occur here.

On a conference call with my company and they have developed an awesome solution to help limit unnecessary traffic into the healthcare system via helping the large population of the “worried well” and determine those that are immune-compromised - to help ensure better care for those that really need it. 

cool stuff. 

5 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Right. We should each develop our own testing and treatment as well. None of that damn government involvement!

Yes that’s exactly what I was getting to. Not

FYI you may want to find another tree to bark up. Try being 52, husband, father of two, relying on social security to pay my bills because I cannot work anymore. I hate playing victim, because I’m not. 

Henceforth, “None of that damn government involvement!” doesn’t fly with me as much as you may think. But to completely rely on the government = disaster. I have no idea how old you are, but if you get your wish come November, watch what happens. 

7 minutes ago, Rygar said:

Here is the ultimate question - if you are one of the people against additional measures of control (limited public meetings, school closures, limited travel, etc.) you also have to scientifically be able to say why the Italian situation cannot/will not occur here.

For starters we are 325M people and they are 60M. 

Italy is also dramatically “older” than us. 

I don’t think the things you’ve listed are unrealistic though and are already happening here - and I am good with all of it. 

But shutting down the entire US seems nuts to me - at least at this juncture.  

10 minutes ago, Rygar said:

Where is the question? Seems more like a command to me. It’s already happening in the US, so why the need to be able to scientifically prove otherwise?

4 minutes ago, MesoBanding said:

For starters we are 325M people and they are 60M. 

Italy is also dramatically “older” than us. 

I don’t think the things you’ve listed are unrealistic though and are already happening here - and I am good with all of it. 

But shutting down the entire US seems nuts to me - at least at this juncture.  

Just because we have less older people per capita than Italy, we shouldn't consider instituting similar measures to protect our older population? Don't get me wrong, despite my concerns, I'm not sure total lock downs are the answer. But I also don't see good reason to disregard implementing stricter policies just because Italy's elderly population is lending to a higher mortality rate & we have a younger population by contrast. 

24 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

You should be happy that the president just announced multiple fiscal policy measures to help mitigate the possible yet known economic impacts from the disease. Going as far as to guarantee that nobody will lose a paycheck because of the virus making you unable to work. 

Peeps

Colleges banging up shop and MANY more will follow at collegiate and public private levels.

Sacred Heart Closed till 3-29

Monmouth closed to 3-29

University of New Haven Closed till 3-29