Hot Topic in Science: 2019-nCoV: Coronavirus Outbreak 2020

1 minute ago, rmeyn1 said:

As scary as the current situation is, and this is not to try and diminish the virus seriousness, I found these stats mind blowing. 

• Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled
  • Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
  • Each year nearly 400,000 people under 25 die on the world’s roads, on average over 1,000 a day.

Perspective is important, no doubt. 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi folks - just a quick drop in here. I know things have progressed quite a bit with the situation. Frankly, I haven't seen any new news in the past three days, I've got a lot of catching up to do. Re

Me and the crew!     

Some major updates this morning coming from yet unreleased/unpublished data for NYC in particular. Highlights;   1) we’re currently peaking/have peaked  2) lockdown/social distancing wa

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Perspective is important, no doubt. 

It's one that can be played out over and over - like 18M people die of heart disease each year - which comes out to approximately 50,000 people EVERY day.

If only we could socially work together the way we're starting to now on COVID19 to exercise more and eat healthier...

12 minutes ago, amugs said:

IMG_20200311_174342.jpg

While people should not panic and those most at-risk should take precautions, one should not discount the gravity and potential severity of the situation should the COVID-19 outbreak get out of control. What's now happening in Italy provides an illustration of that dire scenario. The U.S. may still have the latitude to avert such an outcome. The coming week or so will probably prove crucial.

4 minutes ago, Psv said:

I still don’t get this.

these are still people. There are old sick people who post on this board. Must be comforting to read that their deaths are qualified and don’t really count.

every disease hits the sick and old hardest. And their deaths are ALWAYS included in the death rate. You know why? Because they are people, who die. 

I think he is on your side, and pointing out it is much worse for those with underlying health conditions.

Just now, Rygar said:

I think he is on your side, and pointing out it is much worse for those with underlying health conditions.

Agreed, it's my belief he is making that point out of concern for that populace, not the opposite. Let's all take a breath. 

March Sadness: the NCAA basketball tourney will now be held without fans.  Really, really hate being right about this (predicted it over a week ago), as I was going to attend any NCAA game RU was in, but it was pretty obvious over a week ago that we were headed towards over 1000 cases by yesterday and that that would engender the public safety response we're seeing. It's also pretty clear to me that we'll be over 5000 cases by a week from now, given the acceleration of testing and cases, and if we are, that could even threaten the tournament, just like how in Italy no sporting events are being held, fans or no, as they're trying to lock down everything.

As I've been saying, given the bungling of infection testing by the CDC and lack of social distancing here, so far, I fear we're on an Italy trajectory in densely populated regions like DC to Boston (more densely populated than Italy and we're doing worse on testing/social distancing than they are) vs. being on a South Korea trajectory to controlling the outbreak, which they're close to achieving, primarily due to very proactive aggressive testing and social distancing.  I truly hope I'm wrong on all of this as what's going on there is horrific right now, with over 12,000 cases and 827 deaths (and accelerating on both counts) and a completely overwhelmed health care system leaving people untreated and dying, while the rest of the country is in lockdown. 

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/march-sadness-ncaa-tournament-to-be-played-without-fans-due-to-coronavirus-2020-03-11

Can we make it a sweeping comment here that every single one of us cares deeply about all people - from the youngest to the oldest.  We know each other here.  We're a community.  We actually, on many levels, care about people here that we've never even met.  That's super cool.

We can't fix this on our own, but we can damn sure listen to one another, learn from each other and not judge one another for beliefs or thoughts that have good intentions.

7 minutes ago, CCB! said:

Agreed, it's my belief he is making that point out of concern for that populace, not the opposite. Let's all take a breath. 

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but i literally took a deep breath and ended up coughing.   Uh oh.

Back to reality, I have have been dealing with a cough for a few days now, i have no other symptoms so not Covid-19, but theoretically i could have something catchy.  I can work from home, but don't want to abuse that work privilege either.  We have limits as to how often we should.

40 minutes ago, amugs said:

IMG_20200311_174342.jpg

Great graphic, but keep in mind that the eventual "true" COVID-19 mortality rates per infection will be significantly less than these reported numbers, but still 5-10X those of influenza (and maybe a bit more than 10X for those over 80).  This is because the infection rate denominator is only being counted in places with aggressive testing, like South Korea (with a 0.7% overall mortality rate vs. the 2-5% overall rates in most countries with much less testing) and the Diamond Princess ship, which had about a 1% mortality rate (6 of 700+ positive cases), in a perfectly "designed" prospective epidemiological "experiment."  5-10X flu mortality rates, which would be achieved without aggressive testing and aggressive social distancing are still scary as hell, which is why we need to act now.  

7 minutes ago, Rygar said:

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek, but i literally took a deep breath and ended up coughing.   Uh oh.

Back to reality, I have have been dealing with a cough for a few days now, i have no other symptoms so not Covid-19, but theoretically i could have something catchy.  I can work from home, but don't want to abuse that work privilege either.  We have limits as to how often we should.

I'm just getting over a cold that started around 2/17... Nasty w/all the fixins, lol - most assuredly not a dry cough - Few peepz out of work too. Hope you fight it off fast.

9 minutes ago, MesoBanding said:

an we make it a sweeping comment here that every single one of us cares deeply about all people - from the youngest to the oldest.  We know each other here.  We're a community.  We actually, on many levels, care about people here that we've never even met.  That's super cool.

🍻👍

9 minutes ago, MesoBanding said:

Can we make it a sweeping comment here that every single one of us cares deeply about all people - from the youngest to the oldest.  We know each other here.  We're a community.  We actually, on many levels, care about people here that we've never even met.  That's super cool.

We can't fix this on our own, but we can damn sure listen to one another, learn from each other and not judge one another for beliefs or thoughts that have good intentions.

Yes. And for some of us, the only reason why it gets heated is because we care so much.

As a friend just sent:

C00CC6D8-D04B-4C0D-8202-D4BC331C4F89.jpeg