Current Observations: Spring/Summer 2020

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just had a heavy snow shower. I had to take the kids out to enjoy it, haha.   

I can never move.    

Posted Images

My temp hasn't been below 65 since July 3rd 2020!!!! 

My AVERAGE dewpoint from JULY 1 2020-AUG 14 2020 is 72.5!!!!!

I have had 10 days with a dew point of 80 or higher, 39 days with a dew point of 75 or higher this summer. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Maddis said:

My temp hasn't been below 65 since July 3rd 2020!!!! 

My AVERAGE dewpoint from JULY 1 2020-AUG 14 2020 is 72.5!!!!!

I have had 10 days with a dew point of 80 or higher, 39 days with a dew point of 75 or higher this summer. 

We haven't had anywhere near that amount of days with dew points that high up here in RI. Mostly low 70's with an occasional mid 70's. Dews higher in the morning then drop a bit as the day heated up. You can have them. Hate the muggies to no end. Not a fan of HHH!!!

Morning thoughts...

Readings will generally rise into the lower 80s across the region today. Some areas could top out in the middle 80s.

Tomorrow, a system will bring a moderate to heavy rainfall to parts of the Middle Atlantic region. Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey could be in line for 1”-2” rain with locally higher amounts. There is uncertainty how far north the steady rain will come. New York City could see only showers and perhaps a period of rain if the ECMWF is accurate.

Out west, a period of intense heat will be searing parts of California, Arizona and Nevada. Death Valley is poised to challenge the August heat record. Yesterday’s high temperature there was 124 degrees, which was just below the daily record of 125 degrees from 1996. That was the hottest August temperature since the mercury hit 127 degrees on August 1, 2017. Today through Tuesday should be several degrees warmer.

The August record is 127 degrees. That record was set on August 12, 1933 and tied on August 3, 1993 and August 1, 2017.

Earlier this summer, Death Valley recorded a 128-degree high temperature on July 12. That was Death Valley’s highest temperature since July 4, 2013 when the thermometer also reached 128 degrees.

This morning's low of 64.7 was our lowest since the 63.3 on July 15th. How warm has this summer been? Well... here in Western Chester County PA this is the longest stretch without a temp in the 50's going back to 1983...our last sub 60 degree reading was on June 17th. In fact only in one July in addition to this year did we fail to record at least 1 day in the 50's - that was in 2012. In that year we went 52 days - between June 27th and August 19th without a low in the 50's. We have never had an August without a low in the 50's....could this be the year? Is global warming finally arriving in East Nantmeal?

image.png.c2fb5e23c306c8985868ed0f7f9c05be.png

Morning thoughts...

At 8 am, moderate rainfall was moving through area that included parts of Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Another smaller area of moderate rainfall was moving through parts of the Hudson Valley. In New York City, light rain was falling with a temperature of 67 degrees.

A moderate to heavy rainfall remains likely parts of the Middle Atlantic region. Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania and southern New Jersey could be in line for 1”-2” rain with locally higher amounts. Parts of Long Island could see 0.50”-1.00” rain. New York City will likely see less than 0.50”. 

Out west, intense heat will again sear parts of California, Arizona and Nevada. Death Valley is poised to challenge the August heat record. Yesterday’s high temperature there was 126 degrees, which beat the daily record of 124 degrees from 2002. Yesterday’s high temperature was just below the monthly record of 127 degrees, which was set on August 12, 1933 and tied on August 1, 2017. 

At 12 pm, the temperature at LaGuardia Airport was 69°. That ended LaGuardia's record-breaking 44-day streak (July 3 through August 15) during which the temperature remained at or above 70°. The previous record was 34 days, which was set July 8 through August 10, 2006.

2 hours ago, Morris said:

Bad bust by the Euro

People would have been waking up to a half a foot of snow when they would have been expecting nothing. 

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

At 12 pm, the temperature at LaGuardia Airport was 69°. That ended LaGuardia's record-breaking 44-day streak (July 3 through August 15) during which the temperature remained at or above 70°. The previous record was 34 days, which was set July 8 through August 10, 2006.

Where I live in Bay Shore in Suffolk County the last time the temp was in the 50s was back on June 17 2020, 59 consecutive days so far, which is a record for here by quite a bit and it looks to continue for as far as I can see. 

Morning thoughts...

In the wake of yesterday’s rainfall, the temperature fell to the coolest levels since near mid-June in parts of the region. At New York City, the temperature fell to 64 degrees, its coolest figure since June 17 when the temperature fell to 60 degrees. At Newark, the temperature fell to 64 degrees. The last time it was at least as cool there was on June 18 when the temperature dropped to 64 degrees.

After a cool start, temperatures will reach the upper 70s and lower 80s across the region today. Parts of the region could see some thunderstorms during the afternoon or evening hours.

Out west, intense heat will again topple records in parts of California, Arizona and Nevada. Death Valley reached 130 degrees yesterday. That smashed the August monthly record of 127 degrees, which was set on August 12, 1933 and tied on August 3, 1993 and August 1, 2017. That was also Death Valley’s hottest temperature since July 13, 1913 when the mercury reached 131 degrees. However, there are questions about the accuracy of the July 1913 temperatures, which were far above what would have been expected from temperatures reported on the same dates elsewhere in the region.

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/an-investigation-of-death-valleys-134f-world-temperature-record.html

Unlike in July 1913, many areas in the Southwest recorded daily and even monthly record high temperatures. One location recorded an all-time high temperature. In short, yesterday’s 130-degree temperature could have become the world’s highest reliably recorded temperature on record.

In addition, Phoenix reached 115 degrees. That was the 8th time this year that Phoenix reached 115 degrees or above. The prior record was 7 times in 1974.