COVID-19 Pandemic: ~56M Cases, ~1.3M Dead

17 minutes ago, Manny said:

Awesome! Will def share. How'd your family fare with Moderna? My fiance got the moderna first dose and had a rough night (101.5 fever) and the works lol but she was good in two days. 

My wife had a slight fever after second dose around 100.  My parents were just run down only from it.  My father in-law was like your fiance, had a higher fever around 102 I think at one point, plus was run down slightly.  All were good after 24 hrs from the second dose though.  All of them were slightly run down after 1st dose, but none had a fever as I recall.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

A reminder that I saw on Twitter this morning:       “The coronavirus doesn’t care if you’re tired of the coronavirus.”

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

My wife had a slight fever after second dose around 100.  My parents were just run down only from it.  My father in-law was like your fiance, had a higher fever around 102 I think at one point, plus was run down slightly.  All were good after 24 hrs from the second dose though.  All of them were slightly run down after 1st dose, but none had a fever as I recall.

Oh ok that's good to hear. Her second dose is on 3/5, so hopefully she doesn't deal with any severe side effects, but if she does she already went through it with Dose 1 lol. 

45 minutes ago, Manny said:

Awesome! Will def share. How'd your family fare with Moderna? My fiance got the moderna first dose and had a rough night (101.5 fever) and the works lol but she was good in two days. 

Supposed to get my first dose of moderna next week

20 hours ago, WxInTheHeights said:

Going back two pages to find this again...welcome back everyone!

915324958_Screenshot2021-02-24at17_08_56.png.3b0469e46f86177e50363da81b437ee6.png

1654384600_Screenshot2021-02-24at17_09_11.png.7a56de24157fdfbc3121aee4ea18da93.png

BDB the only one speaking today while Cuomo remains in the sh*ts...NYC will be opening new NYCHA vaccine sites as others continue to help furnish vaccine equity. Lots more work to do to keep reaching low-income areas.

1805485285_Screenshot2021-02-24at10_23_40.png.ca11d0d839bfbeb075fb0ee14061cacc.png

Your Thursday newsdrop:

687713811_Screenshot2021-02-25at13_33_36.png.4cd5c1cd352455e1312f1ecf620f6c5d.png

460681032_Screenshot2021-02-25at13_33_44.png.47ad40798e9ce5a61ac991dd026b26b1.png

As NYC reopens its middle schools today to in-person learning, the vaccination effort continues to work to bring access to areas that otherwise struggle to get it. More supply heading to hubs in lower-income areas along with partnering with the National Action Network to place vaxx sites in churches. Reverend Al Sharpton publicly received his first dose at Harlem Hospital to encourage taking the vaxx as available. Supply way up this week with the standard weekly delivery plus getting last week's delayed shipments - DOH reports nearly 200,000 first doses available.
1258893484_Screenshot2021-02-25at10_53_20.png.a0859430a700ebf8f88f4b32fb57d847.png

793786459_Screenshot2021-02-25at10_55_27.png.3dc7a5d33345edad89abd843bfdb548d.png

More good news on Regeneron's cocktail of two monoclonal antibodies for treatment/prevention of COVID (first link).  The ongoing trial with mild to moderately ill COVID outpatients (not serious enough to be in a hospital), which showed good results at an interim analysis, was stopped by the IDMB (independent data monitoring board), as their review showed unequivocally strong efficacy (i.e., driving down viral loads and not allowing progression to severe COVID vs. placebo) for the cocktail, meaning it would be unethical to continue with a placebo arm of the trial. 

They also said their cocktail appears to still be able to fend off the new variants, due to the differences in design of the two antibodies, targeting different parts of the virus's spike protein and in particular, in the lab theirs is still effective against the South African variant, while the Lilly antibody combo is not (2nd link).  They expect to publish the results in March and expect to have 1.25MM doses (if the lower dose is approved - not clear on that - would be half that if not) by June.  

While that's nowhere near enough doses at 50-100K infections per day, currently, if vaccinations and behaviors can continue to drive transmissions down to maybe 10-20K/day, which I think is likely by April, then that would likely be enough cocktail doses for most people who get infected, meaning we'd have great prevention (vaccines) and treatments in place for nearly everyone.  I had always thought Regeneron would come through and be effective, but will admit it took longer than expected (EUAs weren't issued until Nov - was expecting Sept) and has been overshadowed by the vaccines (post above from March).  

https://endpts.com/regeneron-halts-placebo-enrollment-in-covid-19-cocktail-trial-after-idmc-finds-clear-efficacy-but-there-are-no-data-yet/

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/regeneron-covid-19-drug-cocktail-combats-south-africa-variant-lillys-does-not-study-2021

I think I shared this months ago, but I've been asked a lot about when do the vaccines "kick in" with effectiveness and the answer is a bit murky, since none of the mRNA trials (Pfizer/Moderna) were looking at efficacy for the first shot, per se, although they did track some metrics.

The did have the observation that immunity appears to start to kick in around 11-14 days after the first dose, depending on the data set, i.e., Pfizer saw a reduction in infections starting about 11 days after the first dose (first link), while in Israel (with the Pfizer vaccine), they've seen signficant reductions starting 14 days after the first dose (2nd link).

The graph below, from the first link shows the clinical data from the Pfizer trial showing the infection reduction after the first dose as a function of days. The smaller inset graph is just the first 21 days, before the 2nd shot, showing the effectiveness starting around day 10-11 with less infections in vaccinated vs. non-vaccinated people starting around then.

I'm also with Fauci with regard to not moving to a single shot for 2-dose vaccines, as we simply don't have enough data to do so at this time, as the trials just weren't designed to obtain such data. Plus, the concern about variants being more likely to emerge from re-infections of previously infected people (small, but non-zero numbers) or from those only getting a single shot are real, as we know that the immune response is much stronger in people who have received both doses.

For people wondering about whether the vaccines will help if exposed to the virus around when getting the first dose or maybe a few days after that, it's very difficult to say. I would hope the vaccine would at least help a bit, but just don't know for sure.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/12/10/1013914/pfizer-biontech-vaccine-chart-covid-19/

https://www.israel21c.org/israeli-hmos-pfizer-vaccine-immunity-best-after-14-days/

May be an image of text that says '2.4- 0.05- 0.04 2.0- 0.03 0.02- Placebo 1.6- 0.01 0.00 9 12 (98) Iitar Cannl 0.8- 15 18 21 0.4- BNT162b2 35 49 56 70 Days after Dose 77 84 91 98 105 112 119'

10 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Yes and no. Generally my eyes glaze over about two sentences in. 😆 However, I always like to use the search function and go back and read when necessary.

There is always more to learn and I’m happy to have the luxury of drawing on the experience here.

Don't feel bad - my wife barely makes it through one sentence...

12 hours ago, Psv said:

Getting my first shot on Sunday. Driving up to Syracuse for it, well worth it. 

Jesus-that was the closest one?      I'm eligible in CT starting 3/22 (45 and up from that date).  

14 hours ago, Psv said:

Getting my first shot on Sunday. Driving up to Syracuse for it, well worth it. 

Keep an eye on the state site and ignore the no appts available message.  My sis in law was able to get same day appt on Tuesday for Javits. Yesterday morning the state site had more appts and my brother moved his wife’s appt up to tomorrow. So if you don’t want to travel just keep checking it, as they keep opening appts up. Regardless, safe travels.

5 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Keep an eye on the state site and ignore the no appts available message.  My sis in law was able to get same day appt on Tuesday for Javits. Yesterday morning the state site had more appts and my brother moved his wife’s appt up to tomorrow. So if you don’t want to travel just keep checking it, as they keep opening appts up. Regardless, safe travels.

found one last night in the city for tomorrow morning. I don’t mind going for a drive haha, I need to get away...I wish I still had to go to Syracuse 

12 minutes ago, Psv said:

found one last night in the city for tomorrow morning. I don’t mind going for a drive haha, I need to get away...I wish I still had to go to Syracuse 

Nice find, good luck tomorrow.  I hear you about needing to get away.

23 minutes ago, Psv said:

How much would it suck though if you got to Syracuse and they ran out

I know that's not supposed to happen but that's my fear about driving far to get one

34 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

How much would it suck though if you got to Syracuse and they ran out

I know that's not supposed to happen but that's my fear about driving far to get one

NYS run sites won’t run out. The state is always going to get their allocation before they give it to municipalities IMO.  It’s the municipalities that we see always running out or not getting their allocation, at least in NY. 

5 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

What age is NY doing-some of you seem on the younger side?

65+ & anyone with a pre-existing condition now, regardless of age.

Just now, uofmiami said:

65+ & anyone with a pre-existing condition now, regardless of age.

gotcha.   CT is going to 55 and up Monday 3/1 (and teachers/bus drivers etc) and then 45 and up 3/22.  No accomodations for pre existing conditions which has some people upset but the state feels age is the biggest co-morbidity and this is the quickest way to get most vaccinated.   

13 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

gotcha.   CT is going to 55 and up Monday 3/1 (and teachers/bus drivers etc) and then 45 and up 3/22.  No accomodations for pre existing conditions which has some people upset but the state feels age is the biggest co-morbidity and this is the quickest way to get most vaccinated.   

NJ pretty much opened it up to anyone with a preexisting condition or smoker. I'm not sure how I got an appt so quickly but I guess it has to do with when I registered on the site 

3 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

NJ pretty much opened it up to anyone with a preexisting condition or smoker. I'm not sure how I got an appt so quickly but I guess it has to do with when I registered on the site 

do you have to prove it?    How do they police it?