Jump to content

COVID-19 Pandemic: ~56M Cases, ~1.3M Dead


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

A reminder that I saw on Twitter this morning:       “The coronavirus doesn’t care if you’re tired of the coronavirus.”

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

gotcha.   CT is going to 55 and up Monday 3/1 (and teachers/bus drivers etc) and then 45 and up 3/22.  No accomodations for pre existing conditions which has some people upset but the state feels age is the biggest co-morbidity and this is the quickest way to get most vaccinated.   


seems like a good system, at least as good as any other.

 

if you think about it - we had 23,000 deaths in nj, and we’ve received 1,000,000 vaccine doses, we’d have a death toll of zero if each pair made it into the arm of someone most at risk. 

 

so we still have some work to do.

 

At least with expanding it to many groups, you stop wasting vaccine. Getting shots in arms, no matter who’s arms, is better than not.

 

Ironically I qualify because of heart damage I suffered from Covid even though I’m only 42.

 

i have many family members that qualify due to obesity.

 

I volunteer to make appointments through a fb group for those who are most vulnerable and can’t get vaccine, and half of them “look” wonderful until they open up about their medical history. 

 


 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

What age is NY doing-some of you seem on the younger side?

I'm 28 but was eligible since I am in Social Work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2021 at 1:36 PM, WxInTheHeights said:

Your Thursday newsdrop:

687713811_Screenshot2021-02-25at13_33_36.png.4cd5c1cd352455e1312f1ecf620f6c5d.png

460681032_Screenshot2021-02-25at13_33_44.png.47ad40798e9ce5a61ac991dd026b26b1.png

As NYC reopens its middle schools today to in-person learning, the vaccination effort continues to work to bring access to areas that otherwise struggle to get it. More supply heading to hubs in lower-income areas along with partnering with the National Action Network to place vaxx sites in churches. Reverend Al Sharpton publicly received his first dose at Harlem Hospital to encourage taking the vaxx as available. Supply way up this week with the standard weekly delivery plus getting last week's delayed shipments - DOH reports nearly 200,000 first doses available.
1258893484_Screenshot2021-02-25at10_53_20.png.a0859430a700ebf8f88f4b32fb57d847.png

793786459_Screenshot2021-02-25at10_55_27.png.3dc7a5d33345edad89abd843bfdb548d.png

 

At the end of the week:

897884751_Screenshot2021-02-26at16_34_31.png.2b171904385b6bea2d55003e44b2d417.png

1643849885_Screenshot2021-02-26at16_23_46.png.82682e660aa6e0ae7874ad062c8234cc.png

And I can't help but wonder if there really is something to that NYC variant as the city the only one to record an uptick in hospitalizations today...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WxInTheHeights said:

At the end of the week:

897884751_Screenshot2021-02-26at16_34_31.png.2b171904385b6bea2d55003e44b2d417.png

1643849885_Screenshot2021-02-26at16_23_46.png.82682e660aa6e0ae7874ad062c8234cc.png

And I can't help but wonder if there really is something to that NYC variant as the city the only one to record an uptick in hospitalizations today...

 

There is no doubt in my mind that NYC and Long Island aren't dropping because the new variant is making the rounds. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

dropping nicely here.   down to 451 hospitalizations, down from the peak of 1250 and positive rate is about 2.50%.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed as our schools are set to go to FT 3/8

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

dropping nicely here.   down to 451 hospitalizations, down from the peak of 1250 and positive rate is about 2.50%.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed as our schools are set to go to FT 3/8

Restaurants have been expanded to 30 percent indoor capacity today in NYC. Went out last night to a buffet with my mom. Tables were spread out and plastic utensils and gloves were used.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

Restaurants have been expanded to 30 percent indoor capacity today in NYC. Went out last night to a buffet with my mom. Tables were spread out and plastic utensils and gloves were used.

 

35% for NYC indoor dining today.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Sundog said:

 

There is no doubt in my mind that NYC and Long Island aren't dropping because the new variant is making the rounds. 

 

I think it's because NYC & LI were last to increase from the last wave.  Upstate was on fire compared to downstate for weeks back in December until it spread and then LI & NYC finally rose to the levels upstate had seen.

Link to post
Share on other sites

In the least surprising news of the day, the FDA advisory panel voted 22-0 to recommend and Emergency Use Authorization of the J&J single shot adenovirus vector vaccine. Great news for everyone. Efficacy is probably a bit lower than the mRNA vaccines (but that's harder to read since Pfizer/Moderna ran their trials earlier and didn't likely encounter some of the new variants, while J&J did), but the take home message for all of them is that they all prevent hospitalizations and deaths after full dosing (after 28 days for J&J with full immune response). That is so much more important than small efficacy differences and the refrigerated storage is a nice bonus. We need them all to beat the pandemic, worldwide, so this is a great day for science and humanity. Formal approval by the FDA should come tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/world/FDA-Johnson-and-Johnson-vaccine.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ru848789 said:

In the least surprising news of the day, the FDA advisory panel voted 22-0 to recommend and Emergency Use Authorization of the J&J single shot adenovirus vector vaccine. Great news for everyone. Efficacy is probably a bit lower than the mRNA vaccines (but that's harder to read since Pfizer/Moderna ran their trials earlier and didn't likely encounter some of the new variants, while J&J did), but the take home message for all of them is that they all prevent hospitalizations and deaths after full dosing (after 28 days for J&J with full immune response). That is so much more important than small efficacy differences and the refrigerated storage is a nice bonus. We need them all to beat the pandemic, worldwide, so this is a great day for science and humanity. Formal approval by the FDA should come tomorrow.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/26/world/FDA-Johnson-and-Johnson-vaccine.html

My fear is people will hear 66% and not want to get J&J if given the choice 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

My fear is people will hear 66% and not want to get J&J if given the choice 

If the other 34%  is basically just a common cold, we'll be fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

If the other 34%  is basically just a common cold, we'll be fine.

But that's what needs to be communicated so people know it's nearly as effective as Pfizer and Moderna and requires only 1 shot

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

But that's what needs to be communicated so people know it's nearly as effective as Pfizer and Moderna and requires only 1 shot

yeah, they'll have to know that even if they do get it, it will be far less severe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

If the other 34%  is basically just a common cold, we'll be fine.

 

Irresponsible journalism that is more interested in clicks rather than facts. 

 

The entire political spectrum is basically full of sh_t and have become grand masters in the art of lies by omission. 

 

I've seen so many bad articles on covid it makes my brain hurt. 

 

The headline for the J&J vaccine should be "J&J vaccine reduces Covid to a runny nose" (I'm being a bit hyperbolic for emphasis) but this type of headline doesn't jive with the media's current hard on for doom porn. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Sundog said:

 

Irresponsible journalism that is more interested in clicks rather than facts. 

 

The entire political spectrum is basically full of sh_t and have become grand masters in the art of lies by omission. 

 

I've seen so many bad articles on covid it makes my brain hurt. 

 

The headline for the J&J vaccine should be "J&J vaccine reduces Covid to a runny nose" (I'm being a bit hyperbolic for emphasis) but this type of headline doesn't jive with the media's current hard on for doom porn. 

Exactly.  Let's hypothetically say we didn't have any vaccines, but we had a medication that could reduce COVID to a cold.

That would be great, but the media would probably still be doom and gloom.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

What age is NY doing-some of you seem on the younger side?

I have a pre existing condition 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Analog96 said:

Exactly.  Let's hypothetically say we didn't have any vaccines, but we had a medication that could reduce COVID to a cold.

That would be great, but the media would probably still be doom and gloom.

Completely agree.     Covid cases dropped from 250K per day to 75K this last month and the media barely reported on it....

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Analog96 said:

Exactly.  Let's hypothetically say we didn't have any vaccines, but we had a medication that could reduce COVID to a cold.

That would be great, but the media would probably still be doom and gloom.


no doubt. 
 

likely some of the “boy who cried wolf” also affected some people in the early days even though many scientists saw what was coming.

 

re:the vaccines, the focus going forward should be “preventing serious illness.”  I believe Pfizer, moderna, J&J, Russia, and China all do that at close to 100% after week five of dose one.

 

I’m interested to see what else we learn to treat based on these effective novel vaccines. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...