COVID-19 Pandemic: ~56M Cases, ~1.3M Dead

3 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Indeed. It’s almost like people need to pay attention to local government to keep

pressure on their priorities!

but the pot needs to be there to draw from or mass layoffs will happen

I mean I'd feel better about it if there was some way to track exactly how the money is being spent.

But I generally feel that way about charitable money too.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

A reminder that I saw on Twitter this morning:       “The coronavirus doesn’t care if you’re tired of the coronavirus.”

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Sundog said:

If NYC was smart (they are the farthest from it) they would be keeping tabs on who is testing positive that has already received one or two doses of their vaccine. 

I want to know if the home grown NYC variant is keeping numbers up because the vaccine doesn't prevent them from feeling sick. 

And if they started doing that, no doubt the anti-vaxx crowd would grow and say "See? Vaccines don't work!!".

39 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

I guess they can look at you and tell if you're fat.  But I don't think smoking should be considered a pre-existing condition, especially since it is a choice.

Obesity is generally a choice too, but just like smoking, if too many people with either smoking or a high BMI get Covid, the hospitals have more patients to deal with.

so I get the strategy.

4 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Obesity is generally a choice too, but just like smoking, if too many people with either smoking or a high BMI get Covid, the hospitals have more patients to deal with.

so I get the strategy.

Possibly, but obesity can be inherited, to an extent.
Smoking is not inherited at all.

27 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Possibly, but obesity can be inherited, to an extent.
Smoking is not inherited at all.

95% of people are obese because of life choices. 

Just now, Sundog said:

95% of people are obese because of life choices. 

I don't think it's nearly that high.  People have a wide range of different metabolisms.

You can take two people with the same diet and one can be much larger than another.

Just now, Analog96 said:

I don't think it's nearly that high.  People have a wide range of different metabolisms.

You can take two people with the same diet and one can be much larger than another.

Also a lot of people, depending on their schedule, have differing amounts of time for exercise.

It certainly isn't all choice.

1 minute ago, Analog96 said:

Obesity was 13% of the population in the 1970s. Even less before that. The sideshows earlier in the century used to have guys that weighed 300 pounds. 300 pounds today is a dime a dozen. 

Last year the obesity rate reached 40%. 40% is insane!

Get ready to open up your wallet because someone's going to have to pay for this crisis. 

5 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Also a lot of people, depending on their schedule, have differing amounts of time for exercise.

It certainly isn't all choice.

You need to eat to gain weight it doesn't magically appear on your body. 

The point is that regardless of how these risk factors arose, they create more vulnerable patients who turn need more caregivers who turn spread more virus.

Cut the virus off where it’s thriving. 

It’s a good strategy. 

The plot thickens a bit on the path forward for vaccinations with regard to possible deferral of the 2nd shot of the mRNA vaccines (Pizer/Moderna), so that more people can be vaccinated in the same amount of time.  While prevention of infections is nearly as good from single doses based on data from Pfizer and Israel, there are concerns that the vaccination immunity is clearly less robust than with one shot, with regard to the measured immune response (even if the number of infections isn't much worse).  Dr. Fauci and the FDA, so far, are not infavor of moving to a single shot for 2-dose vaccines, as they feel we simply don't have enough data to do so at this time, as the trials just weren't designed to obtain such data.  Plus, there is concern about new variants being more likely to emerge from re-infections of people who only receive one dose and don't have as high of levels of antibodies and other immune response elements.  

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210219/fauci-us-sticking-with-2-dose-regimen

So, the above is essentially Fauci's and the FDA's position on deferring 2nd doses, which I've agreed with. However, CIDRAP (Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy), one of the best and most influential groups out there on infectious disease science and policy, just came out with a position paper recommending deferral of 2nd doses for most (especially infected/recovered patients who already have some immunity), so that we can get everyone over 65 vaccinated with at least one shot (if getting a 2-shot mRNA vaccine with J&J EUA just being approved today) and so we can vaccinate close to twice as many people more quickly, in order to get ahead of potential coming increases in transmissions due to the more transmissible variants, like the UK and South African variants and potentially others.  I completely understand the logic and it's a compelling case, but there are potential downsides as per the op above.  This one's above my paygrade, lol and I don't think there's a simple clear cut answer on which approach is better.   

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/sites/default/files/public/downloads/cidrap-covid19-viewpoint-report7.pdf

8TlptXC.png

On 2/27/2021 at 2:37 PM, WxInTheHeights said:

As we await the FDA's word for Johnson & Johnson...

73339930_Screenshot2021-02-27at13_14_07.png.b35639853b056a02e44cd72d9a208d1f.png
1923032974_Screenshot2021-02-27at14_33_40.png.8419f18bec6d867055ff3013691fcda2.png

You can see where NYC/NYS getting two weeks' worth of shipments this week is driving up the pace of administration. NYS got in about 200,000 yesterday and the city has been 50-60,000 a day the past couple days.

Another big week coming up...

1993659895_Screenshot2021-02-28at13_24_16.png.121df98dcb63c054e64fe23481a7ef0d.png

75562454_Screenshot2021-02-28at15_07_39.png.93979acf27eb32d52b78c703f3f8bb49.png

With the way reporting has changed on vaccines, the data has been reorganized. NYC is combining the numbers reported through LTCF and state-run programs, so that's the route I've taken for now. NYS reports its dose 1+2 data from what locales are distributing and then reports the LTCF doses separately.

We'll see how the reporting changes in the days and weeks ahead as J&J makes its way in.

1 hour ago, WxInTheHeights said:

1993659895_Screenshot2021-02-28at13_24_16.png.121df98dcb63c054e64fe23481a7ef0d.png

75562454_Screenshot2021-02-28at15_07_39.png.93979acf27eb32d52b78c703f3f8bb49.png

With the way reporting has changed on vaccines, the data has been reorganized. NYC is combining the numbers reported through LTCF and state-run programs, so that's the route I've taken for now. NYS reports its dose 1+2 data from what locales are distributing and then reports the LTCF doses separately.

We'll see how the reporting changes in the days and weeks ahead as J&J makes its way in.

some really great drops in there

22 hours ago, WxInTheHeights said:

A new week, a new month, and really, a new year as we consider this being one year ago today that NYS/NYC confirmed the first case of Covid in the Big Apple. There were of course probably a lot more back then, but it's been a long year. Let us hope the end of this difficult road is in sight.

1219232949_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_33_55.png.023a2132820b0dc2cb1442a4e4abd026.png

922353047_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_25_15.png.5996fc40696be1fb94d5db67c6efdf75.png

From City Hall...vaccine progress hitting new heights in the city with the highest amount of daily and weekly doses both being recorded in the previous week. J&J likely to help this even further given its one-and-done procedure. BDB also unveils a starting plan to help get arts back into gear with the use of street space for performances before the venues can actually reopen.

Cuomo remains MIA.

925996201_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_16_36.png.b0aa49448fdf26f3e462fe5bd1eafd5c.png

2109115724_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_17_06.png.fca35213c4b5e5c516457d9f0f2d6aca.png

404011151_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_17_49.png.bf52113ae1b36aa3f0545689f391f444.png

24 minutes ago, Sundog said:

The numbers from around the city look like sh^t

could just be catching up after a weekend lag in reporting, or could be more contagious variants inevitably taking over. 

Think we need to watch the weekly averages 

14 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

could just be catching up after a weekend lag in reporting, or could be more contagious variants inevitably taking over. 

Think we need to watch the weekly averages 

The numbers refuse to go down. We were able to hover around 1% for 4 months in summer. It's not like economy is open. Variants must be playing a role. 

3 minutes ago, Sundog said:

The numbers refuse to go down. We were able to hover around 1% for 4 months in summer. It's not like economy is open. Variants must be playing a role. 

It seems like case numbers are struggling to drop in NY NJ and to a lesser extent FL, at least when compared to other states that had huge outbreaks in the fall and early winter 

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

It seems like case numbers are struggling to drop in NY NJ and to a lesser extent FL, at least when compared to other states that had huge outbreaks in the fall and early winter 

Doesn't it count for anything that we were the world's epicenter for coronavirus last spring? 

You would think that would keep numbers lower here than in other areas but the reverse seems to be true.