COVID-19 Pandemic: ~56M Cases, ~1.3M Dead

On 3/1/2021 at 1:41 PM, WxInTheHeights said:

A new week, a new month, and really, a new year as we consider this being one year ago today that NYS/NYC confirmed the first case of Covid in the Big Apple. There were of course probably a lot more back then, but it's been a long year. Let us hope the end of this difficult road is in sight.

1219232949_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_33_55.png.023a2132820b0dc2cb1442a4e4abd026.png

922353047_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_25_15.png.5996fc40696be1fb94d5db67c6efdf75.png

From City Hall...vaccine progress hitting new heights in the city with the highest amount of daily and weekly doses both being recorded in the previous week. J&J likely to help this even further given its one-and-done procedure. BDB also unveils a starting plan to help get arts back into gear with the use of street space for performances before the venues can actually reopen.

Cuomo remains MIA.

925996201_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_16_36.png.b0aa49448fdf26f3e462fe5bd1eafd5c.png

2109115724_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_17_06.png.fca35213c4b5e5c516457d9f0f2d6aca.png

404011151_Screenshot2021-03-01at13_17_49.png.bf52113ae1b36aa3f0545689f391f444.png

Tuesday. Word of caution before you read - Tuesdays have historically posted the worst reporting since the pandemic began. Just warning everyone before getting alarmed over the report.

1198415907_Screenshot2021-03-02at15_08_31.png.d2869f39252a1330ef962591ed577de3.png

136947155_Screenshot2021-03-02at13_51_28.png.81ed083dd2a33f54b1fa21ab87b1d9b6.png

Mayor DeBlasio noted that as NYC now climes over 2 million total does distributed and J&J hits the market, the city needs more freedom to vaccinate from the state for several groups as noted below. A new vaccine site is coming to Co-op City in the Bronx, which has a significant portion of seniors.

1009358483_Screenshot2021-03-02at10_23_46.png.55f355f7faed0c90deca5ad60788e3d0.png

187499928_Screenshot2021-03-02at10_24_20.png.009b4e17777086cc2ddb5836af5708f9.png

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

To everyone who has viewed these posts, whether or not you've voiced your support, thank you. Thank you for following along over the course of one of the longest, most difficult periods that the world

Posted Images

6 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

So it seems like with all of these companies scaling up production, if we get to a point where, due to variants, a booster is necessary for 50% of the population  to maintain the high success rate, that’s doable within a relatively short span (2-3 months). 

That assumes that along with current production for current demand, we are rebuilding the national stockpile. 

Not sure if it was you or another smart data maniac I know, but the suggestion came up that we will likely all get a booster in the fall in the US. Hopefully by then it’s a simple walk to the grocery store pharmacy for most. 

Generally correct.  The part I would argue with is the booster.  We don't need them yet and I would think we wouldn't bother with boosters unless and until there is a variant which emerges that truly evades the vaccines we have.  We haven't seen that yet.  But when we do, yes, it'll probably take 2-3 months from discovery that a new variant can evade our vaccines until we start having shots in arms - and in theory with much more manufacturing capacity in place, we'll have far more shots in arms available much faster than we've had this time around.  

𝗕𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗼𝗺 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀: 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝟭 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 (𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘇𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝗳𝗮𝗿), 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟱𝟬-𝟲𝟰 𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽 (𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀) 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗽𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘇𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗖𝗢𝗩𝗜𝗗 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯-𝟰𝘅 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 ~𝟭𝟮,𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝗽𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝗠𝗠. 𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟭𝟴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 4𝟬 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲.

Here's some details on what I just posted above. For people in my age group (50-64), the risk of any serious vaccine side effects are well less than 1 in 1MM (and no actual serious side effects have been seen yet, except for anaphylaxis in highly allergic people - the risk for that is maybe 2-3 in 1MM and is well known), which is extremely low. And the risk of death from vaccination, so far is essentially zero (none reported due to the vaccine).

On the other hand, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~3500 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID if you're 50-64 or even the ~11,000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. For those 40-49, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~1000 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID or the 3000-4000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. Even for those 18-29, the benefit of vaccination is avoiding the ~100 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID.

I just want to see people avoid a potentially deadly/debilitating disease that is well over 3000X more deadly than a vaccine. FYI, the numbers are about 72K deaths in the 50-69 age group and out of ~60MM total, in that group, ~35% are estimated to have been infected (~21MM) so far, which gets one the ~3500 deaths per 1MM number (and of those 21MM infected, about 4-5MM have had positive COVID PCR tests, so the death rates for people who have had positive COVID tests is about 4-5X higher.

4 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

Stop lol

easing up on the mask mandate while we still have 2,000+ people dying every day is nothing short of criminal... YOU stop being an extremist. 

1 hour ago, ru848789 said:
𝗕𝗼𝘁𝘁𝗼𝗺 𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝗸𝗲𝗽𝘁𝗶𝗰𝘀: 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝗲𝗿𝗶𝗼𝘂𝘀 𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲 𝗲𝗳𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁𝘀 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝗻 𝟭 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 (𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘇𝗲𝗿𝗼 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵𝘀 𝘀𝗼 𝗳𝗮𝗿), 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝟱𝟬-𝟲𝟰 𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗼𝘂𝗽 (𝗺𝗼𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗺𝘆 𝗳𝗿𝗶𝗲𝗻𝗱𝘀) 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝘁𝗶𝗺𝗲𝘀 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 𝟯𝟱𝟬𝟬 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝗠𝗠 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗶𝘀𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗽𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗹𝗶𝘇𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗖𝗢𝗩𝗜𝗗 𝗶𝘀 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟯-𝟰𝘅 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗿 ~𝟭𝟮,𝟬𝟬𝟬 𝗽𝗲𝗿 𝟭𝗠𝗠. 𝗜 𝗰𝗮𝗻𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗵𝗼𝘄 𝗮𝗻𝘆𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝟭𝟴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿 4𝟬 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱𝗻'𝘁 𝗿𝘂𝗻 𝘁𝗼 𝗴𝗲𝘁 𝗮 𝘃𝗮𝗰𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲.

Here's some details on what I just posted above. For people in my age group (50-64), the risk of any serious vaccine side effects are well less than 1 in 1MM (and no actual serious side effects have been seen yet, except for anaphylaxis in highly allergic people - the risk for that is maybe 2-3 in 1MM and is well known), which is extremely low. And the risk of death from vaccination, so far is essentially zero (none reported due to the vaccine).

On the other hand, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~3500 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID if you're 50-64 or even the ~11,000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. For those 40-49, the benefit for vaccination is avoiding the ~1000 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID or the 3000-4000 in 1MM chance of being hospitalized by COVID. Even for those 18-29, the benefit of vaccination is avoiding the ~100 in 1MM chance of dying from catching COVID.

I just want to see people avoid a potentially deadly/debilitating disease that is well over 3000X more deadly than a vaccine. FYI, the numbers are about 72K deaths in the 50-69 age group and out of ~60MM total, in that group, ~35% are estimated to have been infected (~21MM) so far, which gets one the ~3500 deaths per 1MM number (and of those 21MM infected, about 4-5MM have had positive COVID PCR tests, so the death rates for people who have had positive COVID tests is about 4-5X higher.

Aside from deaths, which are bad enough, there are millions of people in the US left disabled from this disease with no known treatment to end the long-term problems.

The vaccine prevents that too.

13 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

easing up on the mask mandate while we still have 2,000+ people dying every day is nothing short of criminal... YOU stop being an extremist. 

Relax there

So when you want to open things up ? 2030? Business owners are getting pissed and want to open. Just wear a mask and open up everything. 

God bless Texas , Iowa and Mississippi. 

14 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

Relax there

So when you want to open things up ? 2030? Business owners are getting pissed and want to open. Just wear a mask and open up everything. 

One year in to this pandemic and you have learned absolutely nothing. FFS, Biden said today we would have enough supply by the end of May. We have the American Rescue Plan en route to help everyday Americans get through the rest of the way before critical vaxx mass.

We are stable at 70,000 cases per day and have sh*ttons of variants emerging. This is not the time to end restrictions unless you like 2-3,000 deaths per day. Keep letting the virus mutate too and you'll eventually get a strain that truly makes vaccines useless, thus it's right back to square one.

What TX, MS, and others are doing is pure insanity until at least 50% of the population is fully vaccinated. Really more like 60-70.

Educate yourself for once. Watch the WH Covid briefings instead of Fox News. You might learn something that's not a GOP talking point.

34 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

It's too bad disease spreads. Otherwise I would have said let them make their decisions. 

It's like seatbelts. I don't think there should be a law to wear seatbelts. If you're dumb enough not wear one that's your business. 

26 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

Relax there

They can open up, but why lift the mask requirement? That just sounds like they're trying to spite "the libs." 

8 minutes ago, WxInTheHeights said:

One year in to this pandemic and you have learned absolutely nothing. FFS, Biden said today we would have enough supply by the end of May. We have the American Rescue Plan en route to help everyday Americans get through the rest of the way before critical vaxx mass.

We are stable at 70,000 cases per day and have sh*ttons of variants emerging. This is not the time to end restrictions unless you like 2-3,000 deaths per day. Keep letting the virus mutate too and you'll eventually get a strain that truly makes vaccines useless, thus it's right back to square one.

What TX, MS, and others are doing is pure insanity until at least 50% of the population is fully vaccinated. Really more like 60-70.

Educate yourself for once. Watch the WH Covid briefings instead of Fox News. You might learn something that's not a GOP talking point.

I feel like this is a distraction for the people of Texas to get their minds off the colossal failure of the independent power setup they have down there. 

34 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

Relax there

Open everything if you want to.

why the removal of the mask mandate?

It’s so stupid.  So stupid. 

you can’t be serious. I swear you are a bot. 

8 minutes ago, Sundog said:

It's too bad disease spreads. Otherwise I would have said let them make their decisions. 

It's like seatbelts. I don't think there should be a law to wear seatbelts. If you're dumb enough not wear one that's your business. 

I can see opening up, but why end the mask requirement, at least for indoors?

Unless they are not allowed to leave their states.

Let them stay in their own states and get each other sick.  And I totally agree with you about seat belts.

I don't understand how anyone can even get in a car and not where a seat belt, especially the front seat.

BUT if some guy near me on the highway is not wearing a seat belt, I am not going to be hurt any worse if I get in an accident with him.

The only thing that I like about seat belts is I don't really have any desire to see someone thrown from a car and die near me either.
That would be fairly horrific to watch.

7 minutes ago, Sundog said:

I feel like this is a distraction for the people of Texas to get their minds off the colossal failure of the independent power setup they have down there. 

At least I think most of the grid is back up so they can power more ventilators  🤷‍♂️ 

more spread = more variants.I just keep praying that none of the variants target younger populations. 

the removal of the mask mandate is a real know-nothing party thing to do. 

1 minute ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Open everything if you want to.

why the removal of the mask mandate?

It’s so stupid.  So stupid. 

you can’t be serious. I swear you are a bot. 

Yeah, I don't think it even matters that much if a place is crowded if everyone is wearing a mask.

I don't think anyone needs to be wearing a mask just walking outside either, but we should wear them indoors, at least until the vaccine significantly curbs the spread.

1 minute ago, NJwxguy78 said:

At least I think most of the grid is back up so they can power more ventilators  🤷‍♂️ 

more spread = more variants.I just keep praying that none of the variants target younger populations. 

the removal of the mask mandate is a real know-nothing party thing to do. 

Yeah, can you imagine if this did the opposite of what it did?