COVID-19 Pandemic: ~56M Cases, ~1.3M Dead

The phased reopening plans worked in the Tri- State area. We have had no spikes here . We spoke about a % based reopening of businesses from way back in April-and it has worked.

The people who spiked outside of L.A never closed and were open throughout. 

100% opening was never optimal.

We said that you be would be met with temp checks, no indoor sports venues and mask wearing when you went back to work and that would help keep the curve flat and that has happened here.

There were many that lobbied that we not reopen at all. 

So the take on schools is, no more than 50% at one time and give parents enough time to reconcile those hours with there employers. I would not open schools at 100% capacity, I don`t think anyone would.

But if you keep schools closed in an age group that does not transmit this and you protect teachers you get kids back to some form of learning and social development.

I am not sure why anyone would oppose that unless it`s purely political. ( which is a shame at this point ). 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

A reminder that I saw on Twitter this morning:       “The coronavirus doesn’t care if you’re tired of the coronavirus.”

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

The phased reopening plans worked in the Tri- State area. We have had no spikes here . We spoke about a % based reopening of businesses from way back in April-and it has worked.

We said that you be would be met with temp checks, no indoor sports venues and mask wearing when you went back to work and that would help keep the curve flat and that has happened here.

So the take on schools is, no more than 50% at one time and give parents enough time to reconcile those hours with there employers. I would not open schools at 100% capacity, I don`t think anyone would.

But if you keep schools closed in an age group that does not transmit this and you protect teachers you get kids back to some form of learning and social development.

I am not sure why anyone would oppose that unless it`s purely political. ( which is a shame at this point ). 

Teachers have no reason to “want” to get back to regular school days.  They are getting paid the same to work 10% of what they would on a regular schedule.  All while in the comfort of their PJ’s.  I have seen dozens of teachers living it up this summer doing the regular summer fun stuff with limited worries about the virus.  

9 minutes ago, PB GFI said:

This is not okay to post. If you don't understand our view, ask for details or STFU! Do not claim those who disagree with you are doing so for purely political reasons; that's how a radical behaves. For shame! Give us a break, pb.

On 7/15/2020 at 11:55 AM, 33andrain said:

This is not okay to post. If you don't understand our view, ask for details or STFU! Do not claim those who disagree with you are doing so for purely political reasons; that's how a radical behaves. For shame! Give me a break, pb.

I didn`t say "he" was being political , I said the argument was becoming political which is a shame. 

SFTU ? That's how you f in speak to me in here, Bye bro.

21 minutes ago, Oliviajames3 said:

Teachers have no reason to “want” to get back to regular school days.  They are getting paid the same to work 10% of what they would on a regular schedule.  All while in the comfort of their PJ’s.  I have seen dozens of teachers living it up this summer doing the regular summer fun stuff with limited worries about the virus.  

How exactly do you think remote learning works? The teachers mail out a bunch of pre-made work sheets on Monday and then go back to getting a tan for the rest of the week and don't do anything else?

4 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Education used to be a parent’s responsibility. At some point, I realize it became childcare for many.  

The only way to navigate this crisis while educating kids is to separate them out again. 

The school system does not owe childcare to anyone, and it’s unfortunate that so many have to rely on schools to fill that need. 

It also used to be easier to survive on one income.. not the case with the majority

1 hour ago, Oliviajames3 said:

Not true at all. Remote teaching is harder than in-person teaching, regardless of one's attire. If you've ever been in a Zoom meeting with adults, just multiply the distractions and whatnots by a factor of about 100 when dealing with children. And it's not just the Zoom; it's the non-stop -- literally non-stop -- grading. I didn't stop grading from April 30 until June 15. It was insane.

Now I need to figure out the doom's day scenario of teaching in a hybrid system because that will actually be worse. I teach 6 sections of history -- about 170 students. A hybrid version means prepping for 18 sections: The online version and two in-person versions. And woe betide me if the calendar/schedule goes out of sync, because then I'm dealing with 24 preps. And hybrid means non-stop grading for likely the entire year.

So please stop with the "I know personally . . ." because you don't know much.

7 minutes ago, Mriceyman said:

It also used to be easier to survive on one income.. not the case with the majority

This whole situation is untenable. It's like a clogged chess board. Someone's got to move to get things going. If this were just about chess, or the economy, or some philosophical thought experiment it would be one thing. But we're actually talking about people's lives so it's another thing altogether. And for every study showing that kids don't transmit there's another that shows they do. Or who needs studies? Just look at Israel where the opening of schools is being linked to that country's recent resurgence.

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

I'm not sure its political.  

My fiancee hates remote learning and wants to go back to school. She hates staying home and misses the kids.

Alot of teachers feel this way.

1 hour ago, PB GFI said:

alot of people are making this virus political  but it shouldn't be.

18 minutes ago, Mophstymeo said:

Not true at all. Remote teaching is harder than in-person teaching, regardless of one's attire. If you've ever been in a Zoom meeting with adults, just multiply the distractions and whatnots by a factor of about 100 when dealing with children. And it's not just the Zoom; it's the non-stop -- literally non-stop -- grading. I didn't stop grading from April 30 until June 15. It was insane.

Now I need to figure out the doom's day scenario of teaching in a hybrid system because that will actually be worse. I teach 6 sections of history -- about 170 students. A hybrid version means prepping for 18 sections: The online version and two in-person versions. And woe betide me if the calendar/schedule goes out of sync, because then I'm dealing with 24 preps. And hybrid means non-stop grading for likely the entire year.

So please stop with the "I know personally . . ." because you don't know much.

Agree!

My wife is an elementary school teacher and thinks remote learning is both a) much much harder on the teacher, and b) less effective for the students (of course).  While remote, she worked much longer hours than when she was in-class and the stress level was a real problem.

Sure, some teachers mailed it in.  My 8th grader had a French language teacher get out of dodge to Mexico before the airports closed and "taught' remotely from there.  It was a disaster.  She was a poor teacher before this, so ineffective teachers remain ineffective whether they are remote or not.  This is the same for any occupation

One other point - I do believe if school ends up remote, teachers need some real guidance and help about how to teach from home.  Better strategies.  They were left to figure things out on their own and some just didn't know effective methods for remote learning.  Even within the same grade level in the same school, it was my experience that there was very little consistency in how teachers went about it.  Some published their own lessons, some did not.  Some posted assignments once every 10 days and was there to answer questions only.   Incredibly, gym was the only constant.  Zooms every 3 days, ha.

This all needs to be improved if we don't go back.  Maybe a Teachers College remote learning online seminar or something.

2 hours ago, Mriceyman said:

right - as I said it’s unfortunate that schools are expected to fill so many needs/roles  beyond education. It really complicates this disaster even further. 

2 hours ago, Snowman11 said:

alot of people are making this virus political  but it shouldn't be.

yup. everyone would do better to stick to cdc guidelines, especially as this is a novel virus and recommendations are subject to change regardless of political palatability 

9 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

yup. everyone would do better to stick to cdc guidelines, especially as this is a novel virus and recommendations are subject to change regardless of political palatability 

This all day everyday. 

On 7/14/2020 at 4:00 PM, WxInTheHeights said:

Tuesday:

image.png.212bb86fd0258b2e8cee1302bffd3f92.png

image.png.e9d052a016794f531d28edcb80f60a36.png

Overall positives: 8.4% NYS, 10.2% NYC, 7.0% xNYC.

Aside from some ICU decreases, this is, simply put, a terrible report. Nothing positive to spin it into.

Over the hump?

image.png.28ce91f5325debaba1686ab838982baf.png

image.png.3cccef6d353d68e27d66b73e4c4f7644.png

Overall rates: 8.3% NYS, 10.1% NYC, 6.9% xNYC.

A somewhat better day than yesterday at least with the 20-point reduction in the positive rate. Downstate took a hit, though NYC joined WNY as the only two regions to see drops in both hospitalization data points. 

Watch for NYC to drop under 10% total positives either tomorrow or Friday, barring some random, unforeseen huge dump of positives. I didn't catch the BDB presser today because I was at work, but apparently city and state are talking about what exactly will return under Phase 4, assuming it's still on for Monday as scheduled. Recalling that Phase 3 wound up leaving off indoor dining, some parts of 4 might not make the cut. We'll have to see.

• 33andrain changed the title to COVID-19 Pandemic: 23M+ Cases, 800k+ Dead
  • NJwxguy78 changed the title to COVID-19 Pandemic: ~56M Cases, ~1.3M Dead