9 minutes ago, evan said:

Got my 2nd Pfizer shot on Friday. No symptoms outside of a sore arm that only lasted through Saturday. :)

congrats!

P-fizer on P-Friday

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To everyone who has viewed these posts, whether or not you've voiced your support, thank you. Thank you for following along over the course of one of the longest, most difficult periods that the world

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

Posted Images

15 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Ok, I got the message guys. Thanks for your input!

when you close the political section where will this topic be moved.

2 minutes ago, Upstate25 said:

when you close the political section where will this topic be moved.

I don’t think y’all will let us close this.  🤷‍♂️ 

8 hours ago, NJwxguy78 said:

I don’t think y’all will let us close this.  🤷‍♂️ 

everyone is getting along nicely for a while now, one bad apple left and it’s been smooth sailing 

7 hours ago, WxInTheHeights said:

Tuesday. Toughest data day of course but as things improve...

72110117_Screenshot2021-04-2716_02_04.png.a8b18226d9f3dc6efc70e89a26d90b8d.png

2026074188_Screenshot2021-04-2716_02_10.png.10f0d7dd5fb07d8fd7b3583bbbf96acd.png

image.png.58fd6e7a861013fd1590751a70e14b5f.png

really amazing stats for a “bad” day. May looks like the breakthrough 

also, got fully vaxxed on Friday, as well as my parents! luckily didn’t experience many adverse side effects.

2 hours ago, StatenWX said:

Had my second shot on Sunday, been layed up in bed the last 2 days with a fever and fatigue. Finally feeling better.

welcome to 5G!

Had my second shot of moderna yesterday and I under-estimated the side effects.  Woke up with a fever of 100.5 and body aches this morning.  Slowly getting better but, boy it packed a punch! 

Just announced by Cuomo:

5/3: NYC bar seating can begin again + catered events at residencies will resume

5/17: The statewide 12am curfew on outdoor dining is rescinded + 1am catered events curfew involving negative-tested or vaccinated patrons in rescinded

5/31: The same curfew as it applies to indoor dining is rescinded + all catering curfews are rescinded

Also today, the NYS legislature will vote to revoke the law requiring bars to serve "substantial food" with beverage services.

2 hours ago, Radders said:

Had my second shot of moderna yesterday and I under-estimated the side effects.  Woke up with a fever of 100.5 and body aches this morning.  Slowly getting better but, boy it packed a punch! 

First shot of Moderna packed a big punch.  Fever and chills. Getting my 2nd shot next week.

NJs Rt and case numbers are just plunging right now. Hospitalizations dropping nicely as well. Hope it continues as we continue to vaccinate well ahead of the national average

13 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

NJs Rt and case numbers are just plunging right now. Hospitalizations dropping nicely as well. Hope it continues as we continue to vaccinate well ahead of the national average

Rt .8

beautiful

On 4/26/2021 at 5:32 PM, Upstate25 said:

IMO, I would keep the topic open for at least another year but I think it is clear even at this point COVID will still be around in the year. In regards to axing the political section, if you do not mind sharing what led you to the opinion that axing the political section is the best for this community?

Best Regards,

Upstate 25

On 4/26/2021 at 9:13 PM, Jefflaw77 said:

I think this thread should stick around for AS LONG AS POSSIBLE.  There is a lot of great information posted here and while there aren't nearly as many posts lately, I think it would be a disservice to just end this thread.  JMO..

Jeff

Agree with these guys on keeping this topic open.  With COVID certainly winding down in the US over the next 2-3 months and everything reopening by mid-summer, assuming we get 70+% adults vaccinated (which I think we will) and there being enough other infected/immune folks to get us to 80-90% of adults being immune (which is herd immunity at least for adults), and reach Dr. Fauci's goal of <10K cases per day (which I think we will as Israel is already there and we're 6-8 weeks behind them in vaccinations), the traffic in this thread will likely go way down (it already is much lower than it was months ago), so the potential for serious altercations will decrease. 

But at the same time, COVID is still a worldwide issue and there will be plenty more science to discuss about COVID in coming months, with regard to immunity duration from infection/vaccination, tracking of variants and their susceptibility to our vaccines, vaccines for children, inevitable small outbreaks among non-vaccinated communities, as well as potential future "surprises," etc.  So, my strong vote is to keep this thread open, as I intend to keep posting about COVID science for the foreseeable future , even if at a bit lesser rate than before - and my posts here are 98% dupes of what I post on FB and other message boards, so it's not much more work to post them here.  

On 4/26/2021 at 3:39 PM, NJwxguy78 said:

@WxInTheHeights ,

Thank you for your daily updates for over a year now.

You helped make a personally unbearable time a little bit easier by cutting out all the bull and putting the numbers in one place for us.

Likewise, @ru848789, your dedication to science has really led to some good discussion and fact sharing here.

It's pretty clear that though the numbers are still not great, they are heading down quickly, and the vaccines are winning the war against the variants in the US.

This has been a very tough journey - fighting against normalcy bias, virus deniers, and just bad misinformation.

As we get back to "normal," I'll ask @WxInTheHeights to give us a heads up when you are ready for your last post on this topic, and then i'll ask the rest of the staff here to consider axing this political section.  We can keep the covid threads in a read-only archive for posterity.

Thoughts?

Great post and thank you very much for the very kind words, as well as your superb moderating of a very difficult subject and your excellent posting insights throughout this pandemic.  And I'll second the props for @WxInTheHeights very informative posts.  Tons of other good posters have added to the discussion too, even if we haven't always agreed (that's normal).  

The COVID tragedy unfolding in India is heartbreaking. They've now surpassed the US record for cases in a day with over 350K (US record was 300K, although our max cases per capita were still 3X theirs, given India has 4X our population) and are over 3000 deaths per day and will likely reach 6000/day (which would be bad, but still only about half of our worst peak per capita) or more in the next 2 weeks, as deaths lag cases by 2-3 weeks.

The worst part of this, like most other big COVID waves, is that much of it was preventable. India had been doing a good job of distancing/masking, leading to them only having about 145 deaths/1MM vs. 1500-2000+ for the US (1766/1MM) and much of Europe/South America, but this coming peak will likely move them to 600-900 deaths per 1MM over the next 6 weeks.

But over the past few months, many public health officials were saying they were in the "endgame" for COVID with low rates and vaccinations starting and much of the public and many politicians were pushing hard to relax restrictions...and this huge wave resulted largely from major relaxation of restrictions, since their vaccination rate wan't high enough to stop it (like ours has been over the past month or so, blunting what would have likely been another wave), as they've only vaccinated about 9% of their population (with single doses; only 2% are fully vaccinated). Variants have likely only played a small role in this huge surge.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/how-indias-second-wave-became-the-worst-covid-19-surge-in-the-world?cmpid=org%3Dngp%3A%3Amc%3Dcrm-email%3A%3Asrc%3Dngp%3A%3Acmp%3Deditorial%3A%3Aadd%3DScience_20210428&rid=3F7A7D00850AD922736B3173646A296D&loggedin=true

• 33andrain changed the title to COVID-19 Pandemic
  • NJwxguy78 locked and unpinned this topic
  • NJwxguy78 unlocked and pinned this topic