8 hours ago, Analog96 said:

I haven't worn a mask indoors since I was officially fully vaccinated.  

My reasoning is I don't feel a major risk, since even if I get COVID at this point, it probably won't be much more than a common cold.

Also, I don't feel the need to protect people who are not vaccinated.

If you are not vaccinated now, it is a choice.  They do not charge.  They are available anywhere, and they don't even check ID in most places.

same unless it's mandated.  CT is doing it town by town so you never know which town has it and which one doesn't.  Very confusing.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

To everyone who has viewed these posts, whether or not you've voiced your support, thank you. Thank you for following along over the course of one of the longest, most difficult periods that the world

And on the other side of the coin, NYCDOH officials reporting zero C19 deaths for 11 July. Preliminary and subject to change, but this is the most significant milestone yet.

God it’s been a crazy 9 months but today was a bittersweet day where it becomes that much more clear how close to the end we are 

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

same unless it's mandated.  CT is doing it town by town so you never know which town has it and which one doesn't.  Very confusing.

Yeah really, better how it is in NJ.

On 8/18/2021 at 5:32 PM, ru848789 said:

More on the delta variant, vaccination breakthrough rates and hospitalizations, and the US plan to offer booster shots starting in September at about 8 months after one's initial vaccinations, as several other countries are doing...

First off, here's a summary of the latest from the CDC on all of this in the MedPage article linked below, including an excerpt from the article, quoting CDC Director Dr. Walensky, below. This excerpt makes a strong case for the vaccines showing waning protection against mild/moderate infections, but still holding up pretty well against severe disease, i..e, hospitalizations and deaths. To date there still have only been 1240 deaths in over 166MM fully vaccinated people (7.5 per 1MM) and vs. 635K deaths in unvaccinated people so far (over a 500:1 ratio), as per the CDC link. As mentioned yesterday, their plan is to provide boosters of the same shot received previously, which is well set for Pfizer and Moderna, given updated clinical data, but for J&J recipients, the CDC said we need a few more weeks to get the data from their 2-dose trial before committing to 2nd J&J doses.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infe.../covid19vaccine/94098...

https://www.cdc.gov/.../health.../breakthrough-cases.html

𝐼𝑛 𝑒𝑥𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑒𝑤 𝑑𝑒𝑐𝑖𝑠𝑖𝑜𝑛, 𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑜𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑟𝑒𝑒 𝑘𝑒𝑦 𝑝𝑜𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑠: 𝑣𝑎𝑐𝑐𝑖𝑛𝑒-𝑖𝑛𝑑𝑢𝑐𝑒𝑑 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑡𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑑𝑜𝑒𝑠 𝑑𝑒𝑐𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑒 𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒, 𝑒𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 ℎ𝑜𝑠𝑝𝑖𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑖𝑧𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑑𝑒𝑎𝑡ℎ "𝑟𝑒𝑚𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠 𝑟𝑒𝑙𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑙𝑦 ℎ𝑖𝑔ℎ,"𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑣𝑎𝑐𝑐𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑠 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑔𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑟𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑙𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑒𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 𝐷𝑒𝑙𝑡𝑎.  𝑁𝑒𝑤 𝐶𝐷𝐶 𝑑𝑎𝑡𝑎 𝑟𝑒𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑒𝑑 𝑖𝑛 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑀𝑜𝑟𝑏𝑖𝑑𝑖𝑡𝑦 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑀𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑖𝑡𝑦 𝑊𝑒𝑒𝑘𝑙𝑦 𝑅𝑒𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡 (𝑀𝑀𝑊𝑅) 𝑜𝑛 𝑊𝑒𝑑𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑑𝑎𝑦 𝑠ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑖𝑛 𝑁𝑒𝑤 𝑌𝑜𝑟𝑘 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑡𝑒, 𝑣𝑎𝑐𝑐𝑖𝑛𝑒 𝑒𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 𝑖𝑛𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 𝑑𝑒𝑐𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑑 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 91.7% 𝑡𝑜 79.8% 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑜𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝑀𝑎𝑦 3 𝑡𝑜 𝐽𝑢𝑙𝑦 25, 𝑎𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝐷𝑒𝑙𝑡𝑎 𝑣𝑎𝑟𝑖𝑎𝑛𝑡 𝑏𝑒𝑐𝑎𝑚𝑒 𝑑𝑜𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑛𝑡. 𝐸𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑎𝑔𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑡 ℎ𝑜𝑠𝑝𝑖𝑡𝑎𝑙𝑖𝑧𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟, 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑏𝑙𝑒 (91.9% 𝑡𝑜 95.3%). 𝐴𝑛𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑀𝑀𝑊𝑅 𝑜𝑓 𝑙𝑜𝑛𝑔-𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑚 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑓𝑎𝑐𝑖𝑙𝑖𝑡𝑖𝑒𝑠 𝑖𝑛 𝐶𝐷𝐶'𝑠 𝑁𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑎𝑙 𝐻𝑒𝑎𝑙𝑡ℎ𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑆𝑎𝑓𝑒𝑡𝑦 𝑁𝑒𝑡𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑘 𝑟𝑒𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑑𝑒𝑐𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑒𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑅𝑁𝐴 𝑣𝑎𝑐𝑐𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑠 𝑑𝑢𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝐷𝑒𝑙𝑡𝑎, 𝑑𝑟𝑜𝑝𝑝𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑎𝑛 𝑎𝑑𝑗𝑢𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑒𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑟𝑎𝑡𝑒 𝑜𝑓 74.7% 𝑝𝑟𝑒-𝐷𝑒𝑙𝑡𝑎 (𝑀𝑎𝑟𝑐ℎ 𝑡𝑜 𝑀𝑎𝑦) 𝑡𝑜 53.1% 𝑑𝑢𝑟𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑒𝑟𝑖𝑜𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝐷𝑒𝑙𝑡𝑎 (𝐽𝑢𝑛𝑒-𝐽𝑢𝑙𝑦).

It's also worth discussing the Sciencemag article that came out yesterday, linked below, which is certainly troubling with regard to Israel's data, as their COVID infection case rate is almost as high as it's ever been (last winter), despite having nearly 80% of eligible people over 12 fully vaccinated. They're also seeing more fully vaccinated people in hospitals very recently with slightly over half of those currently hospitalized being fully vaccinated.

However, I'm also a bit troubled by the article overstating some things, including this: "In Israel, the current surge is so steep that even if you get two-thirds of those 60-plus [boosted], it’s just gonna give us another week, maybe 2 weeks until our hospitals are flooded.” When, in fact, hospitalizations appear to have peaked at a level about 40% of the level seen in their biggest wave (so hospitals being flooded seems unlikely) and may have started to decline, as per the graphic below.

https://www.sciencemag.org/.../grim-warning-israel...

In the UK, this ratio is even lower as the hospitalization peak looks to be about 20% of their highest peak last winter, possibly because the UK didn't use only Pfizer vaccines. The current US hosp peak is about 60% of last winter's and appears to have levelled off, although that might be a pause and not a peak as cases are still going up - ours is probably on the higher side due to having less vaccinated people than Israel/UK. Also, keep in mind that if about half of Israel's hospitalizations are in vaccinated people and that nearly 80% of eligible people are vaccinated, then it's about a 4:1 ratio of unvaccinated to vaccinated people in the hospital accounting for normalizing populations; furthermore, if 87% of those vaccinated, who are hospitalized, are elderly, then it's likely to be about a 30:1 ratio of unvaccinated to non-elderly vaccinated who are hospitalized.

However, the bottom line of delta's enhanced transmissibility and the likely waning of protection of the mRNA vaccines (perhaps, particularly Pfizer's, as per the Mayo paper and Israel's data) are certainly not good news and seem to point towards a booster shot, especially for the elderly and those with comorbidities, being needed. The good news on the booster front, though, is many experts are thinking a 3rd dose might be all that is needed for years for the delta variant, as per the link below, which discusses how 2 doses close together, as Pfizer/Moderna used, is kind of unusual vs. other vaccines and may not have resulted in optimal activation of immune systems (but gave the best shorter term response). Of course, we also have to hope that we don't see a variant even more infectious than delta...

https://www.medpagetoday.com/special.../exclusives/94089...

uCDTdsR.png

iVTC9GZ.png

To boost or not to boost, that is the question. As most know, the Biden Administration is recommending boosters for everyone 8 months after their second mRNA dose (Pfizer/Moderna) and is likely to recommend a 2nd J&J dose once their data on a 2-shot sequence comes out. My quoted post discussed this in depth citing some pros and cons for boosters.

And we've had Israel recommending boosters for those over 60 for several weeks with some promising data on reductions in transmissions after receiving booster shots, but this is only after 10 days of data so far in the attached article.

https://www.haaretz.com/.../covid-booster-shot...

On the other hand, the Lancet just published a review of the available literature on immune responses and boosters and is recommending that booster shots not be given to the general public, as the data are not "compelling" yet (but still recommending them for immunocompromised patients and some frail elderly) and makes the case that these doses would be put to far better use in underserved countries. The Times discusses the article in the first link, below, and the actual Lancet article is below that.

https://www.nytimes.com/.../covid-vaccine-booster-lancet...

https://www.thelancet.com/.../pdfs/S0140673621020468.pdf

So what's a person to do? I think it's a no-brainer for immunocompromised people and probably people over 65 to get boosters, but I'm just not sure they're really needed for most peope under 65. On the other hand, for the vast majority of people they won't "hurt" (just the usual side effects), so...maybe?

Great "In The Pipeline" blog entry by Derek Lowe the other day, making it crystal clear that while it's fair to ask the question, so far the answer is that vaccines are not causing new coronavirus variants, despite prevalent misinformation claiming that is the case. The most obvious indication that they're not is the fact that all of the major variants of concern, so far, including the worst variant, delta (due to its very high transmission rate), were discovered and were spreading prior to mass vaccinations even starting. A key excerpt is below.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/vaccines-will-not-produce-worse-variants

The more chances you give the coronavirus to reproduce, the more mutations it will explore. Its proofreading system for reproduction is pretty good but not perfect, and that's where the mutations come from. It's a numbers game all the way. The virus is not thinking about how to evade vaccine-induced immunity; it's throwing stuff randomly against every available wall in every available direction, and whatever sticks gets a chance to go on throwing some more. Remember, an unvaccinated person is still mounting an antibody defense against the virus - they're just having to do it from scratch, rather than having a pre-primed leg up like someone who's been vaccinated. The longer these infections go on inside human bodies, the more bets the virus gets to put down on the table. The good news is that so far, there is not much evidence that the virus is doing much evasion inside a given person during the course of normal infection. 

So one key way to cut down on the odds of a nasty mutant popping up is to just keep the virus from reproducing so much. Cut down on the number of people it infects. When it does infect people, cut down on the amount of time it spends reproducing inside the body. These countermeasures are exactly what a mass vaccination program does. Fewer people get infected in the first place, and when they do get infected, their disease course tends in the great majority of cases to be shorter and milder. A nasty variant is almost certainly going to come up by accident, so let's not have so many accidents going on constantly around the clock, around the world.

There is, then, every reason at both the population and individual level to expect that vaccination will strongly decrease the chances of a more dangerous coronavirus strain taking hold. If we'd had them earlier and were able to deploy them quickly and widely enough, we never would have seen the Delta variant in the first place. If we keep deploying them now, we will keep worse variants from even being able to form. Anyone who tells you that vaccines will make things worse is at best deeply misinformed and at worst lying to you for profit.

Just saw a bus filled with Jewish kids. No mask at all and they were all packed together 

A lawsuit by a few Republicans in NY against NYCvaccine mandate  is going to be heard by New York Supreme Court on September 20.

They are going to lose

14 hours ago, ru848789 said:

To boost or not to boost, that is the question. As most know, the Biden Administration is recommending boosters for everyone 8 months after their second mRNA dose (Pfizer/Moderna) and is likely to recommend a 2nd J&J dose once their data on a 2-shot sequence comes out. My quoted post discussed this in depth citing some pros and cons for boosters.

And we've had Israel recommending boosters for those over 60 for several weeks with some promising data on reductions in transmissions after receiving booster shots, but this is only after 10 days of data so far in the attached article.

https://www.haaretz.com/.../covid-booster-shot...

On the other hand, the Lancet just published a review of the available literature on immune responses and boosters and is recommending that booster shots not be given to the general public, as the data are not "compelling" yet (but still recommending them for immunocompromised patients and some frail elderly) and makes the case that these doses would be put to far better use in underserved countries. The Times discusses the article in the first link, below, and the actual Lancet article is below that.

https://www.nytimes.com/.../covid-vaccine-booster-lancet...

https://www.thelancet.com/.../pdfs/S0140673621020468.pdf

So what's a person to do? I think it's a no-brainer for immunocompromised people and probably people over 65 to get boosters, but I'm just not sure they're really needed for most peope under 65. On the other hand, for the vast majority of people they won't "hurt" (just the usual side effects), so...maybe?

I have until at least February to make the decision. I will assess the data based on what is going on with covid at the time. 

This is so dumb.

Aside from a few dumbf**k anti-vaxxers, we've been given vaccines for decades upon decades to protect against deadly illnesses, a number of them mandatory just to go to school, let alone get into certain fields.

Why all of a sudden now is there so much b***hing and moaning over a vaccine and jumping through hoops just to avoid it?

And don't even get me started on POSs like Ron DeathSentence and Greg "Lemme Sneak in These MABs and Third Dose" Abbott.

31 minutes ago, WxInTheHeights said:

This is so dumb.

Aside from a few dumbf**k anti-vaxxers, we've been given vaccines for decades upon decades to protect against deadly illnesses, a number of them mandatory just to go to school, let alone get into certain fields.

Why all of a sudden now is there so much b***hing and moaning over a vaccine and jumping through hoops just to avoid it?

And don't even get me started on POSs like Ron DeathSentence and Greg "Lemme Sneak in These MABs and Third Dose" Abbott.

I mean it is not just America that has had issues with getting people vaccinated.

12 minutes ago, WxInTheHeights said:

My case in point. This "religious exemption" crap is just more nonsense posturing for anti-vaxxers.

Its not just Covid. Wait until the current generation of MMR vaxxed kids hits age 12.  They will be the first generation to live in a 40% unvaxxed country.

resurgence of everything…build a bigger zombie shelter 

21 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

I'm eating inside a restaurant near my house. They are checking vaccine cards and ID'S. 

I have never seen this place empty like this.

It is funny the difference, here in Germany it is standard for every restaurant to check vaccine cards or proof of a negative test with no problems. Does not seem to effect turnout, places still packed. Also there is an app where you have to check in when you visit any place like a museum or restaurant called Luca. Don't know if you all have heard of it, might just be a thing in Germany but I assume it is for contact tracing. 

https://www.luca-app.de/nutzeluca/ 

13 minutes ago, Upstate25 said:

It is funny the difference, here in Germany it is standard for every restaurant to check vaccine cards or proof of a negative test with no problems. Does not seem to effect turnout, places still packed. Also there is an app where you have to check in when you visit any place like a museum or restaurant called Luca. Don't know if you all have heard of it, might just be a thing in Germany but I assume it is for contact tracing. 

https://www.luca-app.de/nutzeluca/ 

Because in other countries, they trust the government more and are OK with the government having more power.

Even look at the lockdowns.  Most countries, even democracies, were OK with the government telling them what day they could leave the house, and tickets for non-masked people OUTDOORS.

That kind of stuff would never fly here.