Current Observations: Met Winter 20-21

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning all from Starkville, MS! Yep, Mississippi that is, where i’m at currently finishing up my degree, and already my semester begins today, although classes have already been cancelled! Crazy

Always reppin   

Posted Images

Pretty good wind event today, highest gust I had in batch #1 (12pm - 3pm) was 51 mph, then there was a slight lull (winds were still gusting 35-40 mph though), then in Batch #2 (5 pm - 6:30 pm) I recorded some more high winds including a peak gust  of 53 mph. Final rainfall total for the event is .93"

3.65 inches of rain total since the rain began yesterday. 2 to 4 inches of rain all over southern New England. Went to bed about 9:30 thinking it was over then a nasty squall line came through between 11:45 last night to 12:15 this morning. A lot of trees and branches down. Over a 100,000 without power in MA. Not to many here in RI. A little over 10,000. Highest wind was 65 here in RI and multiple reports of the same in southeast MA. Man I just couldn't imagine what a strong cat 1 would do damage wise up here. We've had multiple wind events of the magnitude we just experienced that caused a lot of damage in a short amount of time in the last 6 months. This last one was prolonged the others were 15 minutes to a half hour. 90+ mph sustained would do massive damage up here in a cat one. Used to say would be cool to experience that but after the last 6 months with just 60 to 65 mph wind no thanks.

Morning thoughts...

In the wake of yesterday's storm, it will be partly to mostly cloudy and cooler. Temperatures will hold steady or fall slowly. Likely high temperatures for the remainder of the day around the region  (from 8 am and afterward) include:

New York City (Central Park): 52°
Newark: 51°
Philadelphia: 48°

The first week of December will likely see the temperature average near or somewhat above normal.

30-Day Verification:

New York City (Central Park):
Average daily forecast: 58.0°
Average temperature: 59.1°
Average error: 1.9°

Newark:
Average daily forecast: 60.3°
Average temperature: 60.9°
Average error: 1.7°

Philadelphia:
Average daily forecast: 60.7°
Average temperature: 61.2°
Average error: 1.5°

• 33andrain changed the title to [Light Snow Event 12/20] Current Observations: Met Winter 20-21
  • NJwxguy78 changed the title to Current Observations: Met Winter 20-21
  • 33andrain unpinned this topic
  • 33andrain pinned this topic