Current Observations: Met Winter 20-21

Something else we should watch for, expanding on my post above, a kind of reverse form of dynamic cooling tends to happen in freezing rain.
I don't know what the meteorological name is, or if there is a name for it.  But usually, in a "normal" atmosphere, the heavier precipitation falls, colder air from aloft gets brought down to the surface by a feature we call dynamic cooling.

When it's cold at the surface and warm aloft, the opposite can happen.

You'll likely warm in heavier precip, and cool when precip slows down, especially at night.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good morning all from Starkville, MS! Yep, Mississippi that is, where i’m at currently finishing up my degree, and already my semester begins today, although classes have already been cancelled! Crazy

Always reppin   

Posted Images

streaks of seven days or more with at least 1" of snow on the ground in February at Newark...

1946 from the 19th-26th...

1947 from the 20th-28th...11" max depth on the 21st...

1948 from the 1st-17th.....11" max depth on the 5th...

1958 from the 15th-25th...13" max depth on the 16th...

1961 from the 1st-19th.....26" max depth on the 4th..

1962 from the 9th-17th...

1966 from the 1st-10th...

1967 from the 6th-15th.....15" max depth on the 7th...

1969 from the 9th-28th.....14" max depth on the 10th...

1972 from the 19th-26th...

1974 from the 4th-12th.....

1976 from the 2nd-10th...

1977 from the 3rd-10th...

1978 from the 6th-28th.....19" max depth on the 7th...

1979 from the 7th-24th.....19" max depth on the 20th...

1983 from the 6th-19th.....19" max depth on the 12th...

1985 from the 1st-12th...

1986 from the 7th-18th...

1994 from the 8th-21st.....18" max depth on the 12th...

1995 from the 4th-11th...

1996 from the 2nd-9th.....

2000 from the 1st-9th...

2003 from the 7th-28th.....23" max depth on the 18th...

2005 from the 20th-28th.....

2006 from the 11th-17th...20" max depth on the 12th...est...

2007 from the 14th-20th...

2010 from the 10th-20th...13" max depth on the 10th...

2011 from the 1st-14th.....15" max depth on the 1st...

2014 from the 3rd-24th.....18" max depth on the 14th....

2015 from the 1st-28th.....

2017 from the 9th-15th.....

2021 from the 1st-13 and counting...............17" max depth...

Morning thoughts...

A weak system will move rapidly from the Gulf of Mexico off the Virginia Capes over the next 24 hours bringing some light precipitation to the region. With a warm layer at 800 mb to 850 mb, most of the precipitation will not fall as snow. Today will be mostly cloudy and unseasonably cool. Light snow, sleet or freezing rain will develop in parts of the region later this afternoon or evening. Any snow accumulations from Philadelphia to New York City will be minimal (0.5” or less). Temperatures will likely top out in the upper 20s to perhaps lower 30s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 29°

Newark: 29°

Philadelphia: 30°

Tomorrow will likely see additional light precipitation.

In the long-range, there is growing consensus among the ensembles that a sustained milder pattern will develop around or just after February 20.

10 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Crazy cold. Too bad it's killing your snow chances

Yup. Weve had a bunch of dusters and getting an inch or so tomorrow but the PV setup just wasn't ideal for this area this time. Still neat to see ther snow down south. This is close to the only setup that can pull it off for them. Good for them. 

4 minutes ago, Snowman11 said:

Freezing drizzle   now in south Brooklyn

Sidewalks are really icy.  I keep slipping lol

27 degrees; more sleet then freezing rain now

Morning thoughts...

Record-cold is now advancing through Texas with falling temperatures and snow. At Dallas, the 6 am CST temperature was 18°. The daily record low maximum temperature of 27°, which was set in 1951, will very likely be broken today. The temperature will then plunge into the single digits tonight. In the Pacific Northwest, Seattle picked up 8.9” snow yesterday. That was Seattle’s biggest daily snowfall since January 27, 1969 when 14.9” snow fell and its 12th biggest daily snowfall on record, tied with December 23, 1965. The daily record for February 13 was 1.1” from 1986.

In the northern Middle Atlantic and southern New England regions, much quieter weather will prevail today. It will be mostly cloudy with some pockets of freezing drizzle and drizzle. Temperatures will likely top out in the middle 30s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 36°

Newark: 36°

Philadelphia: 37°

Tomorrow will likely see precipitation overspread the area.

In the long-range, there is growing consensus among the ensembles that a sustained milder pattern will develop around or just after February 20.

Good morning,  I hope Valentines have brought you chocolates , a card, maybe greetings from your pets.

I would like to show you something... the observations from the Sussex Airport (KFWN) which is ~ 4 miles east of our home in Wantage NJ at a little less than 500' elevation.  Our home is at 740'.  These are the observations in GMT (Z) since about 4AM.  Notice the I group showing up around 10 and 11z and yet no defined precipitation in progress. That I group signifies some sort of icing (could be clear sky first, or dense fog ice accretion). In this case while there was some lowered visibility in fog- I think we had a below the radar beam passage of freezing drizzle (shallow low top under 3000' ). It was at this time, that I think the icing developed up here, because at 4AM I didn't notice with a walking check of the back deck. (was reviewing upcoming weather after 4A)

There is an interp message of the I group somewhere out in google land. I0003 in the hourly would imply .01 glaze (every 3 = .01)  In this case, it tossed out a Trace (I0000)  This I group was added to all ASOS's in recent years, after the Cold Regions Research Lab (CRRL) led by Dr Charles Ryerson and Al Ramsay collaborated with several NWS forecasters to see if ASOS could measure ice.  This is the best solution that took 15 years to implement but helps forecasters get an automated platform idea of icing occurrences, primarily for the benefit of aviation but also public products. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 8.37.20 AM.png

Newark had 10" of snow on the ground this morning and the 13th day this month there was at least 10" of snow on the ground sometime during the day...8 in a row now...2014 had 9 in a row from the 13th-21st and 10 overall...1994 had 8 in a row and 9 overall...1961 had 7 all in a row...2003 and 2011 6...I think this is a new record for Newark Airport...