Met Winter 20-21: Pattern Drivers & Evolution

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

While there's reasonable agreement on a -AO and -NAO persisting into early January, there is some uncertainty WRT whether or not the Pacific side offers any help or not. The EPS develops a +EPO into e

I'm starting to get a little more excited for early-mid December. It looks like the Pacific jet will retract significantly, which is the real reason for the retrograding Alaskan LP. Upper level diverg

I think that we are going to see a pretty impeccable 500mb pattern after January 10th.    The -NAO originally forced by wave breaking (which is occurring in the very near future) will become

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Hmmm wait for that bad boy to eject?

Canada and the higher latitudes are all blocked up. Once it ejects it would certainly roll under (maybe a bit too much, good for Carolinas though.) My worry would be the cold air available. This wouldn't be a setup where we have a trough merger and lots of cold northern air funnels in... this would be a setup where the ULL would dynamically deliver the cold. Offers more votality to cold air available (If I'm wrong someone correct me haha). However, it's December so it still should be cold enough. But alas, I'm picking at details at day 10 so all that matters is the storm signal.

2 minutes ago, Newman said:

Canada and the higher latitudes are all blocked up. Once it ejects it would certainly roll under (maybe a bit too much, good for Carolinas though.) My worry would be the cold air available. This wouldn't be a setup where we have a trough merger and lots of cold northern air funnels in... this would be a setup where the ULL would dynamically deliver the cold. Offers more votality to cold air available (If I'm wrong someone correct me haha). However, it's December so it still should be cold enough. But alas, I'm picking at details at day 10 so all that matters is the storm signal.

Sounds like a Dec 2009 setup.  I would take 11" of snow at 34 degrees lol

5 hours ago, PB GFI said:

BAM

How we open Dec.

Great job @Grace and I know Greg was N too, but when we bought the warmer opening to Dec, then we caught it later but she was 1st and  never waivered.

Posted November 16

1. DEC 1-25...much colder east of Rockies. A very good stretch of winter...especially DEC 8-25. A very brief cool shot 1st week of DEC begins the change. 

A blind squirrel finds a nut every now & then. :)

BTW, I'm a dude! I just love grace!

• 33andrain changed the title to Met Winter 20-21: Pattern Drivers & Evolution
  • NJwxguy78 changed the title to Mid/Long Range:Met Winter 20-21: Pattern Drivers & Evolution
  • 33andrain unpinned this topic