Tempest Weather System by Weatherflow - does anyone have one? Thoughts??

I was an early adaptor via IndieGogo.  I think the target audience for this unit is an introductory/intermediate weather station that records base measurements, stores historical data and projects a nice, mobile-based interface.  It uses wi-fi for its connectivity via a dedicated wi-fi hub, using both battery and solar power for the sensors.  No moving parts for wind and rain measurements, easy to install.  I am a hobbyist and love mine.  It integrates easily with WU.

Good luck!

I was thinking of getting the previous version a while ago. Air and sky. The rain measurements have been a constant problem. Reporting way more than what actually fell. Some people have had no problems with that what so ever but a lot of people have had very inaccurate rain fall totals. They incorporated a learning algorithm into the software but from what I've read on weather hardware forums it didn't help a lot. I don't see how this new tempest is going to be a heck of a lot better. Here is a link to a post in the WX forum asking for opinions about weather flow from the first version to the tempest version.

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35368.0

On 12/11/2020 at 8:29 AM, Radders said:

I went ahead and invested in the $329 and bought the Tempest.  It's arriving today.  I am pretty excited.  Biggest challenge is where to mount it of course.

Weather station arrived and up and running. It was really easy to install and integrate with WU.

https://tempestwx.com/station/34755

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KPAMILFO32

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:16 PM, Jeff B said:

I was an early adaptor via IndieGogo.  I think the target audience for this unit is an introductory/intermediate weather station that records base measurements, stores historical data and projects a nice, mobile-based interface.  It uses wi-fi for its connectivity via a dedicated wi-fi hub, using both battery and solar power for the sensors.  No moving parts for wind and rain measurements, easy to install.  I am a hobbyist and love mine.  It integrates easily with WU.

Good luck!

On 12/12/2020 at 10:44 AM, Radders said:

Weather station arrived and up and running. It was really easy to install and integrate with WU.

https://tempestwx.com/station/34755

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KPAMILFO32

On 1/8/2021 at 7:33 AM, NorEaster27 said:

Working good here so far

CADA08B1-CEB5-4EB6-AE53-0ADE82982E29.jpeg

Still satisfied with it?

I'm concerned about the negatives I've read about the inaccurate rain measurements. 

2 hours ago, Kevin49068487 said:

Still satisfied with it?

I'm concerned about the negatives I've read about the inaccurate rain measurements. 

Can you calibrate the rain gauge? Davis weather stations often record too low when they're new, but that can be fixed.

2 hours ago, Kevin49068487 said:

Still satisfied with it?

Also, all instruments have to be properly sited.  Could those comments be from people who have placed their rain gauge near a tree or something where it would block rain from entering?

Just now, Analog96 said:

Can you calibrate the rain gauge? Davis weather stations often record too low when they're new, but that can be fixed.

The challenge comes from the type of sensor, they use a haptic sensor vs a bucket style. That can cause inaccurate readings from vibration. I read one report from a user complaining close flying aircraft has set it off. It seems they've been working on remedies, but it's unclear to me at this time how effective they've been.

From what I've read, there is a method of calibration. You need to take measurements with a mechanical rain gauge, submit those measurement to WF, then they are able to create a calibration for that individual unit. 

4 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Also, all instruments have to be properly sited.  Could those comments be from people who have placed their rain gauge near a tree or something where it would block rain from entering?

There is no rain gauge, it’s haptic.  Honestly I don’t have much data on rain yet given it’s winter

Just now, Kevin49068487 said:

The challenge comes from the type of sensor, they use a haptic sensor vs a bucket style. That can cause inaccurate readings from vibration. I read one report from a user complaining close flying aircraft has set it off. It seems they've been working on remedies, but it's unclear to me at this time how effective they've been.

From what I've read, there is a method of calibration. You need to take measurements with a mechanical rain gauge, submit those measurement to WF, then they are able to create a calibration for that individual unit. 

The whole thing seems too complicated.  

Plus I don't know what would happen during a very loud thunderstorm.

Davis is much more simple to adjust.  For example, you use a few stratiform rain events, NEVER convection, when totals are similar, either use another rain gauge or some stations nearby to get an idea, and turn the screws.

Each full turn is 6% difference either direction.

1 minute ago, NorEaster27 said:

There is no rain gauge, it’s haptic.  Honestly I don’t have much data on rain yet given it’s winter

Yeah I prefer my heated rain gauge lol

8 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

The whole thing seems too complicated.  

Plus I don't know what would happen during a very loud thunderstorm.

Davis is much more simple to adjust.  For example, you use a few stratiform rain events, NEVER convection, when totals are similar, either use another rain gauge or some stations nearby to get an idea, and turn the screws.

Each full turn is 6% difference either direction.

No doubt Davis is a superior product, but they cost more than I'm willing to spend. 

I'm also looking at the Ambient WS-5000, WS-2000 and WS-2902C. Each has pros and cons. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin49068487 said:

No doubt Davis is a superior product, but they cost more than I'm willing to spend. 

I'm also looking at the Ambient WS-5000, WS-2000 and WS-2902C. Each has pros and cons. 

Yeah they do cost more, but I guess you get what you pay for, lol.  One other thing with the Davis is that, especially if it doesn't rain for a while, you have to check for seeds and bird crap before it rains.

That stuff can clog up the rain gauge.

I have the Davis Vantage Vue. I’ve had it for 5 years. The rain gauge and anemometer are both broken. When it was new it worked great. But it’s only good for 5 years or so. 

you also can’t get proper wind and temp at the same time. Wind needs to be at 10m and temp at 2m. When the unit is condensed into one, one of the readings will be off. Only solution is to get the piecemeal Davis and put the anemometer on the roof or a tripod. Too much work...

3 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Yeah they do cost more, but I guess you get what you pay for, lol.  One other thing with the Davis is that, especially if it doesn't rain for a while, you have to check for seeds and bird crap before it rains.

That stuff can clog up the rain gauge.

I always had spiders in the Davis rain gauge. It’s a poor design 

10 minutes ago, Psv said:

I always had spiders in the Davis rain gauge. It’s a poor design 

The new VPII comes with spikes around it, so you avoid that situation.

56 minutes ago, Psv said:

I have the Davis Vantage Vue. I’ve had it for 5 years. The rain gauge and anemometer are both broken. When it was new it worked great. But it’s only good for 5 years or so. 

you also can’t get proper wind and temp at the same time. Wind needs to be at 10m and temp at 2m. When the unit is condensed into one, one of the readings will be off. Only solution is to get the piecemeal Davis and put the anemometer on the roof or a tripod. Too much work...

I have both also, the tempest was cheaper and the range is phenomenal.  I really bought it for wind measurements on the dock at the lake

6579F03E-C7E6-4FDB-B903-D6C7027932BE.jpeg

A48FDBB1-4646-4CA9-B1D6-E6BA377C8A34.jpeg