December 16-18, 2020 -- SECS/MECS Mega Thread

3 minutes ago, Vinny Findley said:

The hat was the only reason I survived the storm. Ended up with a foot up here in Cranston RI. Between midnight and 2:00 AM  2 to 3 inch per hour rates. Was crazy hard snowing.

IMG_20201217_072815.jpg

Wow. That's a nice hat! Where can I get one? 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Little note... If you're going to try to take a dump on the people that have tried to forecast this system who have provided their reasoning for days on end, just don't. If you didn't provide any reas

One thing I've begun to notice is the upstream LW trough, which will likely be a key component to how the downstream height response (e.g. Intermountain west ridge --> impacts ultimate s/w trough a

Hey guys, I know this might be slightly off topic (and slightly on topic as well) but I just wanted to announce that I DID infact pass my Dynamics 1 course! It’s been a stressful past two weeks for me

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, Hohnywx said:

I measured about 8" in Hastings, a few miles south of Irvington. The 12 inch totals being reported by News 12 are dubious (my opinion)

100 percent, they are wrong. They reported 25 inches in hopewell junction. I measured in 4 spots and got an average of 14.8. No idea who called in those numbers but they are all wrong 

56 minutes ago, Nickvec9 said:

Out of curiosity when was the last time (if ever) that we saw consistent snowfall rates of 5-6” per hr from an east coast snowstorm?? Apologies if this was discussed already it’s easy to miss something when the threads as busy as it’s been...

I remember parts of long island had 5"/hour rates on March 22, 2018

I forgot to post my final totals before I fell asleep earlier lol. Front half, before the changeover to sleet I received 4.7" and I picked up another 1.6" from the back side of the storm, so overall total is 6.3" of snow. I also got 1.1" of sleet between the 2 layers of snow. Highest wind gust I recorded was exactly 50 mph at around 7 am. 

https://nwschat.weather.gov/p.php?pid=202012171928-KOKX-NOUS41-PNSOKX

6-12" verified in the end for NYC (Bx, Bk, Qns, SI, Man).   Very difficult one but great forecasting overall. We knew with plenty of lead time that this wasn't our big one.  Mind blowing storm overall with the 30-40"+ in Binghamton and parts of VT.   Albany with back 2 back 20"+ Dec storms.  What a wild one. 

• 33andrain changed the title to December 16-18, 2020 -- SECS/MECS Mega Thread
  • 33andrain unpinned this topic