• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  I live in a different corner of the world than nearly all of you - Israel.  I'm part of the forum as I grew up in the northeast US (Long Island) and still keep up with the weather there at

there’s only so much tracking we can do before we get yelled at by our spouses for neglecting our kids.   replace any of the nouns with school/work/chores and I think it works for most. lol 

I feel like an ass now, cause I ended up getting 11.5 inches of snow, not counting some of the compacting that occurred in-between Sunday night's snowfall and Monday afternoon's changing back over to

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

3 years and a day ago it was 80

Winter is pretty much over after today. February was fun, im ready for some warmth and sun. 60s will feel incredible

16 hours ago, NorEaster27 said:

016D75D9-AD3B-458D-A231-6AA15C7B08F9.jpeg.a1cf9f1be5bbffd6e56f4c4884abb393.jpeg

This pic of Lake George reminded me of something:

"Every year, for decades, Mirror Lake has frozen over later and later in the season. This season has followed that trend, making the lake off limits — so far — to people used to playing on it during the wintertime.

What’s happening to Mirror Lake is mirrored in lakes across the Adirondacks and the world. As the climate warms, the pattern of ice coverage on the lake has incrementally shifted, meaning fewer days when the lake is frozen over and a later-season freeze."

https://www.lakeplacidnews.com/news/local-news/2021/01/07/community-waits-for-ice-to-thicken-before-playing-on-mirror-lake/

Must be all that UHI in the Adirondacks, because it sure isn't globull warming. 

1 hour ago, Sundog said:

This pic of Lake George reminded me of something:

"Every year, for decades, Mirror Lake has frozen over later and later in the season. This season has followed that trend, making the lake off limits — so far — to people used to playing on it during the wintertime.

What’s happening to Mirror Lake is mirrored in lakes across the Adirondacks and the world. As the climate warms, the pattern of ice coverage on the lake has incrementally shifted, meaning fewer days when the lake is frozen over and a later-season freeze."

https://www.lakeplacidnews.com/news/local-news/2021/01/07/community-waits-for-ice-to-thicken-before-playing-on-mirror-lake/

Must be all that UHI in the Adirondacks, because it sure isn't globull warming. 

Nice freeze this year, like the old days....10F1B753-B5AE-4A39-9059-1DB2A03FD07D.jpeg.24aa40ed9798d72bd34f6fcd6c14554c.jpeg

right now in 1996 we were 3 days into a 9 day stretch of above 50 degree weather, including 4 straight days above 60 degrees.  An additional 16 inches of snow fell after March 1st.

37 minutes ago, Anthony Cacchioli said:

I remember that day. I was wearing shorts. It hit 77ºF in Central Park that day!

Wow it got that warm in the city? I remember it being "only" in the mid 60s on long island, or at least here in western suffolk. Of course then we followed that up with the best march in years for many areas

11 minutes ago, Intensewind001 said:

Wow it got that warm in the city? I remember it being "only" in the mid 60s on long island, or at least here in western suffolk. Of course then we followed that up with the best march in years for many areas

I was at school in the Bronx and it was in the upper 70’s there too. I remember there was a seabreeze that kept temperatures in the mid-upper 60’s across most of Long Island.

I was randomly reading some old BDB threads on the other forum and the thought came to me "I wonder what the biggest wind events were here on long island in my lifetime", so I made a list of the top 10 strongest wind events (gusts) in SW Suffolk since 2000 (not including severe t-storms) using wind data from ISP or FRG. I orginally wasnt going to post this but maybe some other users might be interested as well.

1. Hurricane Sandy E 56 G90

2. Hurricane Isaias S 53 G78

3. Boxing Day Blizzard N 46 G64

4. Hurricane Irene E 47 G62

5. March 2010 nor'easter E 41 G62

6. April 13, 2020 S 45 G61

7. January 31, 2013 S 44 G61

8. January 10, 2016 S 39 G60

9. January 2018 Blizzard NW 30 G59

10. January 2016 Blizzard NE 44 G58

The crazy thing is not one of the them occured between 2000-2009, all happened within the last decade or so, I guess what my dad said to me last year about it being windier than it used to be is at least somewhat true. Also I never realized BDB actually had higher recorded winds than Irene until now, crazy.

20 hours ago, Chris21 said:

Seeing as I am going skiing at Canaan valley from March 4th-7th I am closely monitoring the long term. Have enjoyed your analysis for years showme!

Thanks! Always nice to hear. 

Just bought a house about an half hour NE of Canaan Valley. Looking forward to not having to scrounge for every inch of snow it seems like we have to do each winter here in the east. We actually settled on the house in a Realtor's office in Canaan, which was the first time I had ever been there. The whole area is breath taking up through there. Once you jump the ridge just to the west of Keyser WV onto the mountain plateau it is like a whole different world. Was up last week and on the east side of that ridge they maybe had 4-5 inches of snow. But once on the west side, at our new house, we had 1 1/2 to 2 feet OTG. Actually had to jump out of the car to shovel out the entrance to our driveway from the plowings from the main road just so we could get to our house.