25 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Thanks! Always nice to hear. 

Just bought a house about an half hour NE of Canaan Valley. Looking forward to not having to scrounge for every inch of snow it seems like we have to do each winter here in the east. We actually settled on the house in a Realtor's office in Canaan, which was the first time I had ever been there. The whole area is breath taking up through there. Once you jump the ridge just to the west of Keyser WV onto the mountain plateau it is like a whole different world. Was up last week and on the east side of that ridge they maybe had 4-5 inches of snow. But once on the west side, at our new house, we had 1 1/2 to 2 feet OTG. Actually had to jump out of the car to shovel out the entrance to our driveway from the plowings from the main road just so we could get to our house.

Best of luck in your new digs!  No pun intended.  Enjoy the snow!!!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  I live in a different corner of the world than nearly all of you - Israel.  I'm part of the forum as I grew up in the northeast US (Long Island) and still keep up with the weather there at

there’s only so much tracking we can do before we get yelled at by our spouses for neglecting our kids.   replace any of the nouns with school/work/chores and I think it works for most. lol 

I feel like an ass now, cause I ended up getting 11.5 inches of snow, not counting some of the compacting that occurred in-between Sunday night's snowfall and Monday afternoon's changing back over to

Posted Images

4 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Thanks! Always nice to hear. 

Just bought a house about an half hour NE of Canaan Valley. Looking forward to not having to scrounge for every inch of snow it seems like we have to do each winter here in the east. We actually settled on the house in a Realtor's office in Canaan, which was the first time I had ever been there. The whole area is breath taking up through there. Once you jump the ridge just to the west of Keyser WV onto the mountain plateau it is like a whole different world. Was up last week and on the east side of that ridge they maybe had 4-5 inches of snow. But once on the west side, at our new house, we had 1 1/2 to 2 feet OTG. Actually had to jump out of the car to shovel out the entrance to our driveway from the plowings from the main road just so we could get to our house.

That’s awesome! Congrats! I love that area and I’ve also been looking at property around Davis. It a whole different world out there. The weekend I picked (the 7th) is looking more and more favorable on the latest models. Even the GFS is close to a pattern that would support at least a bit of upslope. EC and para look far better.

3 hours ago, Yaakov said:

Hey guys.  I live in a different corner of the world than nearly all of you - Israel.  I'm part of the forum as I grew up in the northeast US (Long Island) and still keep up with the weather there at times.

Thought you might appreciate two videos I took of a rare snowstorm last week in Israel.  My family and I traveled from where we live (where no snow fell - too low elevation) to stay with relatives in Efrat (just south of Jerusalem) so our kids could see and play in snow for the first time.  (Our daughters are 7 and 5).  The storm did not disappoint!

Winds were quite strong (I would estimate gusts as high as 60 mph).  We were on a hilltop exposed to the prevailing winds.  I took many "snow walks" in the snow, which lasted all night from about 6 pm to 6 am.  Accumulations totaled about 10" (25 cm).  Snow fell as heavily as 2.5" (6 cm) per hour in the evening hours!  (I measured even higher rates in the last snowstorm, Feb 2015 - 2.75 to 3.25" or 7 to 8 cm per hour).

The snow was wet and combined with the strong winds, caused power outages throughout Efrat as a huge electricity tower was downed.  The power where we stayed was out for about 18 hours - nothing like the folks in TX after the ice storm, but still a challenging situation!  

I assume this is the same snowstorm that hit Greece?

20 hours ago, Analog96 said:

I assume this is the same snowstorm that hit Greece?

Same system made its way east across the Mediterranean and reached Israel several days later.

Central Athens doesn't get much snow at all (part of it is orographic shadowing) but the northern suburbs see snow much more often. 

Average national snowfall coverage during winter is a bit under 20%, so a nice chunk of the country is annually snow covered during the winter. 

There's like a dozen ski resorts in Greece. 

As the storm departed some town in northern Greece dropped to -28C, which is just short of the all time record of -30C. 

What was more rare was Madrid's snowfall. Western Europe sees a lot less snow/cold than Eastern Europe at the same latitude. 

There's a pic from my grandmother's hometown that received 6 feet of snow at an elevation of 1,000 feet a few years ago with the help of the sea.  

NE wind off the Aegean sucking up moisture and dumping it on land. It's called Aegean Effect Snow haha

Just now, Sundog said:

Same system made its way east across the Mediterranean and reached Israel several days later.

Central Athens doesn't get much snow at all (part of it is orographic shadowing) but the northern suburbs see snow much more often. 

Average national snowfall coverage during winter is a bit under 20%, so a nice chunk of the country is annually snow covered during the winter. 

There's like a dozen ski resorts in Greece. 

As the storm departed some town in northern Greece dropped to -28C, which is just short of the all time record of -30C. 

What was more rare was Madrid's snowfall. Western Europe sees a lot less snow/cold than Eastern Europe at the same latitude. 

There's a pic from my grandmother's hometown that received 6 feet of snow at an elevation of 1,000 feet a few years ago with the help of the sea.  

NE wind off the Aegean sucking up moisture and dumping it on land. It's called Aegean Effect Snow haha

Greek LES!