Just now, MR FREEZE said:

It did but we didn't just suddenly go torch.  The rare thing about that winter is that each of the 3 core winter months featured a significant snowstorm.

True, but I don't like having no snow for most of Feb and all of March.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  I live in a different corner of the world than nearly all of you - Israel.  I'm part of the forum as I grew up in the northeast US (Long Island) and still keep up with the weather there at

there’s only so much tracking we can do before we get yelled at by our spouses for neglecting our kids.   replace any of the nouns with school/work/chores and I think it works for most. lol 

I feel like an ass now, cause I ended up getting 11.5 inches of snow, not counting some of the compacting that occurred in-between Sunday night's snowfall and Monday afternoon's changing back over to

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Analog96 said:

True, but I don't like having no snow for most of Feb and all of March.

Then you would have loved 1895-96 as I believe over 90% of the snow fell in Feb and March.  December snow is great because it can stick around longer with thos beloved early sunsets.  Just imagine a 20 inch blizzard in the opening days of December followed by an instant replay of December 1989 temps.  It would be downright breathtaking.

Just now, MR FREEZE said:

Then you would have loved 1895-96 as I believe over 90% of the snow fell in Feb and March.  December snow is great because it can stick around longer with thos beloved early sunsets.  Just imagine a 20 inch blizzard in the opening days of December followed by an instant replay of December 1989 temps.  It would be downright breathtaking.

I mean I like winters that have snow in each month, especially from Dec 15 to March 15.

Just now, Analog96 said:

I mean I like winters that have snow in each month, especially from Dec 15 to March 15.

Me too but we both know wall to wall is rather rare as you mentioned to Anthony earlier.  Unfortunately, as great as December 1989 was for its arctic air, it had very little snow to offer.   Now if you like back loaded winters, 2006-07 was brutal for people like us until the last week of Jan when we suddenly flipped on a dime and had sharp cold throughout much of Feb along with the Valentine's day sleet bomb followed by another impressive sleet_snow mix in mid March.  1992-93 was paltry until almost mid Feb which finally delivered some snow (several inches) and then you know what came in March.

1 minute ago, MR FREEZE said:

Me too but we both know wall to wall is rather rare as you mentioned to Anthony earlier.  Unfortunately, as great as December 1989 was for its arctic air, it had very little snow to offer.   Now if you like back loaded winters, 2006-07 was brutal for people like us until the last week of Jan when we suddenly flipped on a dime and had sharp cold throughout much of Feb along with the Valentine's day sleet bomb followed by another impressive sleet_snow mix in mid March.  1992-93 was paltry until almost mid Feb which finally delivered some snow (several inches) and then you know what came in March.

1993-94, 1995-96, 2000-01 had snow in every month.

Back on the Fall of 2007, I attended a weather seminar hosted by Joe Bastardi himself in a hotel in midtown Manhattan.  He was still with accuweather at the time.  He discussed the winter of 2006-07 and explained why he knew that wasn't changing to rain as almost all the local TV mets were counting on.  Ironically, he also disappointed everyone in the room when he released his winter forecast for the 2007-08 winter which was for temps solidly above normal as a whole.  He turned out to be right.  One of the rare times I ever recall him forecasting a warm winter.

Until about 2 years ago, I would meet up with some folks from Weatherbell at Chadwicks steakhouse in Brooklyn NY every year in mid August to discuss the upcoming winter.  Imagine having 6, 8, or perhaps 10 people at a table enjoying a nice meal with everyone of them fanatical about the weather.  The head guy DT Mogan who was from Chicago had a stroke 2 years ago and we never were able to get it going again.  Hoping it will happen again soon.  The time of year was the perfect time to have it because the days were already noticeably getting shorter and you knew the fun times were ahead.

17 hours ago, forkyfork said:

a wall to wall winter? in this climate? 

Sure, why not?  For the last 20 plus years, it has been constantly said that our grandchildren and beyond would never get to see what snow is.  While there are some arguments for both sides, I still believe AGW is a money making industry in the end!

About a month too late but we are now entering a very robust period of N Atlantic blocking. I somewhat expected it looking a past history in regards to solar mins. Shame we didn't see this in February, might have made for some interesting times.

1618099200-NLTRwe0JKNc.png

3 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

About a month too late but we are now entering a very robust period of N Atlantic blocking. I somewhat expected it looking a past history in regards to solar mins. Shame we didn't see this in February, might have made for some interesting times.

1618099200-NLTRwe0JKNc.png

We did have blocking in February 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:04 PM, MR FREEZE said:

Sure, why not?  For the last 20 plus years, it has been constantly said that our grandchildren and beyond would never get to see what snow is.  While there are some arguments for both sides, I still believe AGW is a money making industry in the end!

No one ever said snow was going away forever. No one serious with any credentials anyway. 

The green sector is the fastest expanding job sector in the economy. It's definitely money making, but not for the reasons you think. It's not a scam.

I'm a capitalist and I'm happy that we can create high quality American employment while helping the planet at the same time. Win win. 

I'm tired of limiting my large fish intake because of mercury poisining from coal power plant pollution. 

3 hours ago, Snowman11 said:

We did have blocking in February 

I thought the blocking had been mediocre at best. But I had very little time to follow the models during February so maybe I am just mis-remembering.