• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  I live in a different corner of the world than nearly all of you - Israel.  I'm part of the forum as I grew up in the northeast US (Long Island) and still keep up with the weather there at

there’s only so much tracking we can do before we get yelled at by our spouses for neglecting our kids.   replace any of the nouns with school/work/chores and I think it works for most. lol 

I feel like an ass now, cause I ended up getting 11.5 inches of snow, not counting some of the compacting that occurred in-between Sunday night's snowfall and Monday afternoon's changing back over to

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

When ASOS became mainstream throughout the US in the 80s, thousands of Meteorologists were fired. I get why, but it's sad that so many of them were fired.  

Many also lost their jobs during the nws modernization process.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/south-pole-posts-most-severe-cold-season-on-record-an-anomaly-in-a-warming-world/

South Pole posts most severe cold season on record, an anomaly in a warming world

The average temperature at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station between April and September, a frigid minus-78 degrees (minus-61 Celsius), was the coldest on record, dating back to 1957. This was 4.5 degrees lower than the most recent 30-year average.

24 minutes ago, mcscrew said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/south-pole-posts-most-severe-cold-season-on-record-an-anomaly-in-a-warming-world/

South Pole posts most severe cold season on record, an anomaly in a warming world

The average temperature at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station between April and September, a frigid minus-78 degrees (minus-61 Celsius), was the coldest on record, dating back to 1957. This was 4.5 degrees lower than the most recent 30-year average.

Any idea when the most recent bitter year was down there?

11 hours ago, Event Horizon said:

I messed up on a couple of questions. Otherwise, I destroyed that exam.  

That exam should be easy for us weenies.  That's the part of meteorology that we, as storm tracking and forecasting people, are interested in.

When you take your dynamics or thermo finals, you'll probably have more trouble.

3 hours ago, Analog96 said:

That exam should be easy for us weenies.  That's the part of meteorology that we, as storm tracking and forecasting people, are interested in.

When you take your dynamics or thermo finals, you'll probably have more trouble.

I'm going to take up Calc I and II during the next year before move on to Dynamic and Thermo Meteorology. 

On 10/7/2021 at 12:26 PM, Event Horizon said:

I'm going to take up Calc I and II during the next year before move on to Dynamic and Thermo Meteorology. 

I got a 92/100 on my first Synoptic Meteorology Exam. 

PAC looks better end of the month, but the Atlantic looks like shit. We completely lose the NAO and AO. wouldn’t a SSW/ warming event argue for more blocking in those domains? 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for good recs for both a rain gauge and a snow measuring board. My wife always complains that I either never need anything for Christmas, or that I just end up getting things I DO need for myself. Thoughts?