Met Winter 2021 Second Half Threats

22 minutes ago, Oliviajames3 said:

Awesome stuff Walt.  Please post more about this ice threat.  I am in Berks County and I think we are in the threat zone.  Hrrr rap euronhave is in heavy ice and other models much less.  Still have large snowpack 

No doubt problems.  While warm rain aloft conducts warmth down, and freezing rain rates too high to maximize accumulation, still worthy of monitoring for damage. Ground frozen so even IF at 33F, ground will continue icing. 

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It’s finally done. 

Ukie is a snowstorm for Thursday 

i wouldn't count on the north trend being over 

Posted Images

Just now, Keith O said:

Speaking for here in NW NJ, very concerned for tomorrow night.  JCP&L better have their crews, out of state help and contracted tree services deployed throughout this area on Mon evening so they are ready to respond on Tue AM.  They have no excuse to get caught with their pants down as this has been on the table for several days now.

Agreed. The one thing I'd add is, unfortunately, sister company crews across the SE/OHV already have their hands full with their own icing problems. So it's going to be difficult to move in reinforcements as manpower will already be stretched thin. 

2 minutes ago, CCB! said:

Agreed. The one thing I'd add is, unfortunately, sister company crews across the SE/OHV already have their hands full with their own icing problems. So it's going to be difficult to move in reinforcements as manpower will already be stretched thin. 

Very true .. still need to have their entire workforce pre-deployed in this part of their service area. 

Like in these close call events wind direction will be important in areas away from the coast. If winds stay NNE or NE this can have a major impact in forecasts late Monday night into early Tuesday 

10 minutes ago, Keith O said:

Very true .. still need to have their entire workforce pre-deployed in this part of their service area. 

Im here in SW West Virginia and Appalachian Power still has 14,000 without power and Kentucky has 11,000 without power. I’m 1 hour from Ohio and Kentucky border in that corner where all 3 states meet. It’s all very rural here so 14,000 is a big area.  Were gonna have a rough few days here and people are setting up their generators. We’ve had ours ready to go since the ice we had this past week which has not melted. 

1 minute ago, HunterdonWx86 said:

Like in these close call events wind direction will be important in areas away from the coast. If winds stay NNE or NE this can have a major impact in forecasts late Monday night into early Tuesday 

We have seen that before even closer to the immediate NYC metro. A shorter period of frozen precipitation was prolonged even by several hours due to the wind direction remaining out of the NNE/NE.

1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

We have seen that before even closer to the immediate NYC metro. A shorter period of frozen precipitation was prolonged even by several hours due to the wind direction remaining out of the NNE/NE.

Always something to keep an eye on

In my experience freezing rain doesn’t get to crazy unless the temp is 29 and below.  Especially during the day time.

Unless we are talk a light mist with temps in the low 30’s.  Different story. 

Just now, jjvesnow said:

In my experience freezing rain doesn’t get to crazy unless the temp is 29 and below.  Especially during the day time.

Meh.  This is coming at night for many 

3 minutes ago, Winterwxnj said:

Also,  the ground is already totally frozen.  It's been below freezing for days.

Nothing Salt can’t cure.  31 and moderate rain won’t accumulate much in trees 

30 minutes ago, Colette11 said:

Im here in SW West Virginia and Appalachian Power still has 14,000 without power and Kentucky has 11,000 without power. I’m 1 hour from Ohio and Kentucky border in that corner where all 3 states meet. It’s all very rural here so 14,000 is a big area.  Were gonna have a rough few days here and people are setting up their generators. We’ve had ours ready to go since the ice we had this past week which has not melted. 

Sounds messy down there. Was watching a webcam in VA and could hear crashing branches and sirens last night. Very eerie. 

• 33andrain changed the title to Met Winter 2021 Second Half Threats
  • dmillz25 unpinned this topic
  • dmillz25 pinned this topic
  • dmillz25 locked and unpinned this topic