February 18-19, 2021 Winter Storm

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

after the 12z suite, my confidence for a significant snowfall event has increased throughout the metro   globals are likely underdoing the precip amounts. there is an anomalous 250mb jet, an

if anemic means a widespread 6-8”, sign me up please 

IMO, this is a 6-12" snowfall for a large area. 8-12" for much of the NYC metro. Areas closer to NYC can stop referring to this as a front end thump because most of the system will in fact be snow, wi

Posted Images

1 minute ago, brooklynwx99 said:

pinging could be similar to during the blizzard, where the convection timed the snow so heavily that it sounded like sleet 

Agree here. Its convection riming the snow alot at different times. Snow can make sounds too. 

Just now, DualJet said:

Agree here. Its convection riming the snow alot at different times. Snow can make sounds too. 

Really large flakes always hit with some sound.

Just now, DualJet said:

Question for the poor snow growthers are you looking for silver dollar sized flakes? You will not always see that. Doesnt always mean growth is poor

Not necessarily but even visibility isn't that low during the lighter periods. Also 3" in 4 hours under 30+ dbz doesn't seem to make sense

Just now, WxInTheHeights said:

2.3" now, growth recovering.

Should note though that while measuring, one of our building's workers was staring me down the whole time. May be an issue with measuring later on.

Throw the ruler at him

1 minute ago, MikeBWeather said:

Weird how so many are experiencing poor snow growth, has not been a problem at all for me over western LI. Fat flakes for hours.

I think there's a bit of subjectivity in reporting going on right now. I'm currently in Midwood, Brooklyn. I'd report that it's snowing more moderately with some good snow growth. Another poster might report dumpage.

1 minute ago, WxInTheHeights said:

2.3" now, growth recovering.

Should note though that while measuring, one of our building's workers was staring me down the whole time. May be an issue with measuring later on.

“suspicious person taking measurement near heavily used building...more at ten.”

Can really see how good snow growth is aloft right now. KOKX radar is seeing some lower CC, but that is not really a mix line. Its a variety of different sized snow crystals within the convective growth. Probably increasing riming too

3 minutes ago, DualJet said:

Question for the poor snow growthers are you looking for silver dollar sized flakes? You will not always see that. Doesnt always mean growth is poor

It's almost not precipitating. IMG_20210218_113243342_HDR.jpg

Been snowing here for nearly 4 hours. 3 OTG and quickly approaching. Lightest rates have been slightly south of moderate. Vast majority has been moderate to heavy. Havent yet seen 2 inch an hour rates but believe heading in tyhat direction in Kew Gardens Hills  as flakes have markedly jumped in size from dimes to nickels and judging by the stunning radar presentation  to the south and west Im highly optimistic we will hit 6 inches in the 1st round, Upton is going to play catch up.

• ModRisk unpinned this topic