Grade for 2020/21 winter

B+.  If we get one more storm of 4"+, I will change to A.  Cold was lacking a bit, but overall 36 days of snow cover and 51" total of snow.  If we had a small event or two in January this would have been a solid A.  Right now it is the 8th snowiest season for me in the 41 years I've been alive.  4" more and this season moves to #4 for snowfall.  

B+ so far. 

No severe/arctic cold and a lacking January hurt.

52" on the season is 16" above my average and had 13 days wintry precipitation for February.

If March can pull of a banger then it may tick up a notch.

6 minutes ago, amugs said:

B+ so far. 

No severe/arctic cold and a lacking January hurt.

52" on the season is 16" above my average and had 13 days wintry precipitation for February.

If March can pull of a banger then it may tick up a notch.

Cold is overrated. If we had a 2 week arctic outbreak but no snow winter would be a D

Its hard to get 30+ inches of snow in 3 weeks and be below a B. I'd give it a B+ right now

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

Cold is overrated. If we had a 2 week arctic outbreak but no snow winter would be a D

Its hard to get 30+ inches of snow in 3 weeks and be below a B. I'd give it a B+ right now

Yes, but cold has to factor in somewhat.  Sure if it was bitter cold with no snow, I could not give it higher than a C.

But cold is part of winter.

18 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

Yes, but cold has to factor in somewhat.  Sure if it was bitter cold with no snow, I could not give it higher than a C.

But cold is part of winter.

Well yeah it can't snow at 50 but I don't take off for lack of days below 10 degrees. I would add points if we had a historic outbreak like they just had in the middle of the country but run of the mill single digits and highs in the 20s with no snow does nothing for me

1 minute ago, Stormlover74 said:

Well yeah it can't snow at 50 but I don't take off for lack of days below 10 degrees. I would add points if we had a historic outbreak like they just had in the middle of the country but run of the mill single digits and highs in the 20s with no snow does nothing for me

I do take a little off if we don't at least make the single digits once.

B- right now. We got average snowfall, a Dec storm, and 24 days of snow cover, which is quite rare, all three positive factors for this winter. Plus the lack of a torch, we haven't hit 60 the entire month of Feb, which is the 1st time that happened since Feb 2015. I agree with the posters above on the lack of a significant cold outbreak as a negative, it's pretty cool when the ponds freeze over thick like in the winters of 14-15, 13-14, 17-18. Lack of Jan/Dec cold is another negative. Winters like 13-14 seemed to rage from Dec through Mar.  Lack of a MECS around here is a negative. One MECS would have made this a B+ easily, same with one significant cold outbreak, and with both this would be an A- or even A winter despite the lack of Jan/Dec cold. Regardless, the best winter since 2017-18 easily, and better than 15-16, 16-17, 12-13, 11-12 as well imo. 

I grade this winter a C. It would be at least a B if it wasn't for the December and the jan 31-feb 2 storm missing north. It would have been lower if it wasn't for the constant snow events every few days for the better part of 2-3 weeks

you have to grade it against other winters over a period of years...snowiest, coldest,biggest snowstorm ect...snowfall and snow cover should have the most weight when comparing winters...I would take a winter like this every year...

9 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Your opinion which I do respect so please do the same in response to my opinion as what is a standard on tjis boars/forum. Grazi Mille.

I’ll give it a B here. Feb was a solid A though. The Dec storm and the early Feb storm both had a long duration of sleet, and January was quite dull. There’s always at least one nasty cutter in the winter, so I can’t take too many points off for the Grinch storm even though the timing could not have been any worse.