Current Observations: Spring/Summer 2021

Changes in Summer (June-August) Average High Temperatures (1971-00 vs. 1991-20 Means):

Bridgeport: +0.9°
Islip: +1.3°
New Brunswick: +1.4°
New York City-JFK: +1.0°
New York City-LGA: +1.6°
Newark: +0.8°
Poughkeepsie: +1.1°
White Plains: +1.0°

Average: +1.1°
Median: +1.1°
Standard Deviation: +0.3°

Trimmed Mean (excluding the highest and lowest changes): +1.1°
Second Trimmed Mean (excluding the two highest and lowest changes): +1.1°

New York City-Central Park: -0.1° (more than 3 sigma below the regional change excluding Central Park)

Note: The tree obstructions at Central Park were noted beginning in 1992

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay!

Just got a flurry here in the poconos...

From Thursdays storms pics from my neighbors.    

Posted Images

I think Central Park will be lucky to get to 86 degrees this afternoon. I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't get there. Then we'll see about the storms later on most of us will probably get some.

WX/PT

Wow, already GFS went from a good stretch of 90+ for NYC Metro last night to 2 days of it at 18Z today for June 7th-8th. The heat seems always very brief. Hope we can correct this soon or there will have been a lot of overheated forecasters.

WX/PT

10 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Wow, already GFS went from a good stretch of 90+ for NYC Metro last night to 2 days of it at 18Z today for June 7th-8th. The heat seems always very brief. Hope we can correct this soon or there will have been a lot of overheated forecasters.

WX/PT

I see the GFS do that a lot. it's still a garbage model even after the upgrade. I hardly ever look at the GFS on TT/pivotal. 

1 hour ago, Jake302 said:

I see the GFS do that a lot. it's still a garbage model even after the upgrade. I hardly ever look at the GFS on TT/pivotal. 

As long as you understand its shortcomings, it's not a garbage model. Models are garbage if not used correctly, any of them. The idea of shorter-lived warmth or heat in May and June was detectable on the GFS.

WX/PT

High was only 74 here but still got a decent storm with pea sized hail and 40-50 mph gusts. Also picked up .38" of rain, first time ive gotten anything measurable since May 9th i believe

19 minutes ago, dmillz25 said:

Heard about the passing of James Nichols aka USCAPEWEATHERAF. May he Rest In Peace. Only 31 so sad

What!!! I remember him during a zoom not too long ago I think. Sad news.

Morning thoughts...

Today will be partly to mostly sunny and warm. A shower or thundershower is possible. Temperatures will likely top out in the upper 80s and lower 90s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 83°

Newark: 86°

Philadelphia: 84°

Tomorrow will be mainly cloudy with showers and periods of rain. It will be much cooler.

1 hour ago, Analog96 said:

It is getting ridiculous with EWR today.  87 today? 

Not sure what you mean by ridiculous. Can you explain?

High for the day was 83 here.

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Not sure what you mean by ridiculous. Can you explain?

High for the day was 83 here.

They're 3 to 5 degrees too warm, all the time, pretty much around the clock, now.