Current Observations: Spring/Summer 2021

1 minute ago, Analog96 said:

They're 3 to 5 degrees too warm, all the time, pretty much around the clock, now.

Hmm interesting. Did they change the location of the temp sensor? 🤷‍♂️🤔

• Replies 851
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From Thursdays storms pics from my neighbors.    

Yay!

Just got a flurry here in the poconos...

Posted Images

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Hmm interesting. Did they change the location of the temp sensor? 🤷‍♂️🤔

I have no idea.  They were fine until about a month ago or so.  This happened in the early 1990s, and the NWS had to take action, I believe in 1993.

1 minute ago, Analog96 said:

I have no idea.  They were fine until about a month ago or so.  This happened in the early 1990s, and the NWS had to take action, I believe in 1993.

I may contact NWS about this.  I feel they need to know, in case they do not.

1 hour ago, Analog96 said:

I may contact NWS about this.  I feel they need to know, in case they do not.

This happened with New Brunswick a couple years back as well.  It got fixed after some of us contacted them

Opposite trends for the weekend, NAM giving most of us 3.00+ rain, GFS trending a little less rain than on earlier runs with the heaviest over Connecticut up across Rhode Island and eastern Ma. We wait to see exactly which trends are correct.

WX/PT

45 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

Opposite trends for the weekend, NAM giving most of us 3.00+ rain, GFS trending a little less rain than on earlier runs with the heaviest over Connecticut up across Rhode Island and eastern Ma. We wait to see exactly which trends are correct.

WX/PT

It will probably be a compromise between the two so around 1.50-2.50" is probably a good call for the NYC metro for now although the Euro has been running on the wetter side and swaying closer to the NAM. Have to see what the 00z 5/28 Euro says.

Morning thoughts...

Clouds will increase. Rain will arrive this afternoon. Some of the rain could be heavy especially overnight. A general 1.00”-3.00” rainfall is likely into Sunday morning. Temperatures will likely top out in the middle and upper 60s before the onset of the rain. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 66°

Newark: 69°

Philadelphia: 69°

Tomorrow will be mainly cloudy with showers and periods of rain. It will be unseasonably cool.

9 hours ago, Winterwxnj said:

This happened with New Brunswick a couple years back as well.  It got fixed after some of us contacted them

New Brunswick is a little different.  It is not a first-order ASOS station.

7 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

WX/PT

It's funny and ironic what the GFS is doing.  We get a very rainy pattern thru about 6/5-7 or so, then dry as a bone.

This has happened a few times now.  is this going to be the pattern of the summer, where we don't really get a drought, but we go 12-20 days without rain, then it rains every day for 8-12 days?

35 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

It's funny and ironic what the GFS is doing.  We get a very rainy pattern thru about 6/5-7 or so, then dry as a bone.

This has happened a few times now.  is this going to be the pattern of the summer, where we don't really get a drought, but we go 12-20 days without rain, then it rains every day for 8-12 days?

The 06z NAM was a deluge. Also the latest GFS, Euro and RGEM are very wet for the NYC metro with anywhere from 1.50"-3.00" rainfall range. The rivers and streams should be able to handle with the recent dry conditions but there could be some urban flooding issues.

Rain picking up in intensity here

Picked up 0.26" of rain so far today.

Current temp 51

Plenty of moderate to heavy rain moving into the NYC metro from the southwest, some areas in the metro could be exceeding an inch of rain prior to or by midnight.

8 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

0.69 already and heavy rain.. I spy an overperformer

Agreed. Most places in the NYC metro should see at least 2.00" of rain with some areas exceeding 3.00" of rainfall. This has all the makings of a heavy rain event IMO.

There's a little hole in the radar returns over northeastern coastal NJ. I'm not sure that it's real. Other than maybe that it looks like moderate to heavy rain until tomorrow morning at least.

WX/PT

1 minute ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

There's a little hole in the radar returns over northeastern coastal NJ. I'm not sure that it's real. Other than maybe that it looks like moderate to heavy rain until tomorrow morning at least.

WX/PT

It's real. I am in it.

8 minutes ago, Analog96 said:

It's real. I am in it.

Same. It shouldn't last much longer, plenty of moderate to heavy rain coming up from the southwest.