Current Observations: Spring/Summer 2021

Staten Island can be as hot as Newark and many times like today mby was as hot as they were...I never liked the radiation shields used now...I think the old weather box's or shelters gave a lower reading...That's just a theory on my part...the only way to test my theory is to set up a shelter and shield side by side with calibrated thermometers and see what happens...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yay!

Just got a flurry here in the poconos...

From Thursdays storms pics from my neighbors.    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, donsutherland1 said:

That’s a fair point. Actually, during the spring, my average error increased to around 2.5 degrees (1 degree cold bias on my estimates). I assumed that the issue resided with the weight I was giving to the new GFS. Maybe it had something to do with the site itself. Of course, I made an adjustment in late spring to deal with the issue of the cold bias. 

From a forecasting perspective, it's a tough call.  If I use KEWR as my forecasting point, do I intentionally forecast 3 degrees too warm to verify too well against the airport?
Do I do the same in reverse for Central Park? I tend to not do it, for two reasons.  First, I want to provide "true readings" to the public, and secondly, it would look a bit ridiculous calling for 98 at EWR and 90 at Central Park, when in reality it's closer to 94 and 93.

Morning thoughts...

Today will be partly cloudy and hot. A few places could see an afternoon or evening shower or thundershower. Temperatures will likely top out in the upper 80 and lower 90s in much of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 89°

Newark: 95°

Philadelphia: 92°

Tomorrow will be variably cloudy and still warm. Temperatures will likely run a few degrees cooler than today. Showers and thundershowers are possible.

At 10 pm, the temperature at Central Park was 82° and it was 80° at LaGuardia Airport. Both locations are on track to break their daily record high minimum temperatures. The current records are:

Central Park: 73°, 1883 (New York City area record)

LaGuardia Airport: 72°, 1968 and 1999

Both locations have had a daily minimum temperature of 76° so far.

It should be noted that the 73° minimum temperature is the lowest New York City area record high minimum temperature for June. New York City area refers to JFK Airport, LaGuardia Airport, and Central Park.

8 minutes ago, Jake302 said:

low of 75. this is warming up the surrounding waters big time.

Even here the low was only 74.  I am not going to write that as "official" in case we get lower during heavy rain later.

I have window units and when I go to sleep, I only use the A/C in the bedroom.  The rest of the house is currently 80 degrees.  Very warm for this early in the morning!

Morning thoughts...

Today will be variably cloudy and very warm. Showers and thundershowers are likely. Temperatures will likely top out mainly in the middle and upper 80s in much of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 87°

Newark: 91°

Philadelphia: 89°

Tomorrow will be variably cloudy and still very warm. Additional showers and thunderstorms are likely from a frontal passage. 

4 hours ago, Analog96 said:

Even here the low was only 74.  I am not going to write that as "official" in case we get lower during heavy rain later.

I have window units and when I go to sleep, I only use the A/C in the bedroom.  The rest of the house is currently 80 degrees.  Very warm for this early in the morning!

Same. 67 in the bedroom. 80 rest of the house

My back yard is a hot spot...maybe because the sun reflects off the pool which is near the probe? It was 97 yesterday and 95 today...I put my trusty Taylor max min that was calibrated next to it and it was even hotter...

787237AF-8F7B-4925-9214-E241F7D2DEAB.jpeg

Been down in Cape May on vacation since Sunday. Coming home Friday. Temps have been in the upper 70's to mid 80's for highs so far but overall nice weather.