Central US Storm / General Obs / Pattern Discussion - Page 3 - Weather Spotlight - 33andrain Jump to content
33andrain

Central US Storm / General Obs / Pattern Discussion

More severe weather in the northern plains tomorrow. These NW flow patterns are relentless. 

day2otlk_1730.gif

24 minutes ago, Huskerbaw said:

Wouldn't really call Wisconsin the plains. 

I'm from Maine lol, it's all flat to me :) what is actually considered the plains? Would definitely be curious to know! 

Tis the season for pop up showers and storms all the way from the Northern Rockies through the Central plains (Kansas and Oklahoma are the plains right @Huskerbaw? :) ) and down to the Gulf Coast. Only one cell is severe warned but all cells have the potential for flooding rains and dangerous lightning.

Screenshot_51.png

On 7/14/2017 at 10:25 PM, Jack Sillin said:

I'm from Maine lol, it's all flat to me :) what is actually considered the plains? Would definitely be curious to know! 

Just because it's flat doesn't make it the plains(we have hills too, like the sand hills here in Nebraska). Most of those areas are heavily wooded in MN, WI and just the general Great Lakes area. 

This is prolly the most accurate map. Although I'd say it goes a little bit east of the MO river. 

Great-Plains-Map-rgb.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! Definitely not what I expected but I'll take your word for it!

18 minutes ago, Jack Sillin said:

Thanks! Definitely not what I expected but I'll take your word for it!

Google is your friend b

• Like 1

Beautiful MCS ongoing over MN this evening. It's amazing to watch these things grow and move. Each cell moves SW to NE but the cluster as a whole moves NW to SE https://weather.us/radar-us/minnesota/reflectivity/KMPX.html#play an amazing example of cold pool induced upscale growth :) 

us_radarus-en-087-0_2017_07_18_521_KMPX_357_0048.png

A few pretty powerful clusters of storms in Iowa this evening

us_radarus-en-087-0_2017_07_21_513_KDMX_357_0135.png

us_blitze-en-087-0_2017_07_21_513_0135.png

us_sat-en-087-0_2017_07_21_01_25_513_347.png

9 minutes ago, ModRisk said:

107 in St Louis currently

Heat dome in full effect. Brutal. 

us_obs-en-087-0_2017_07_22_21_00_5_210.png

2 minutes ago, Jack Sillin said:

Heat dome in full effect. Brutal. 

Last couple days in Salina has been awful 

Screenshot_20170722-172646.png

Just now, ModRisk said:

Last couple days in Salina has been awful 

Screenshot_20170722-172646.png

Low of 83? That's inhumane. At least dew points are in the 50's. "Dry heat" I guess. Still awful. 

Updrafts in Texas>>updrafts in not Texas. Look at the core of >50dBZ returns being suspended 10-20 thousand feet up. Wow

Screenshot_91.png

• Like 1

Big severe weather day in SD/MN today. Mesoscale meteorology will beat out the models today. I say tornado potential with discrete supercells along a boundary set up in SW MN this evening. Backed flow and CAPE/shear profiles support. Mesoscale models are all about cluttering the convective environment with MCS's right off the bat. That's a good bet in veered flow regime over E SD but in backed flow over S MN, I think that's missing the mark. My full thoughts: https://blog.weather.us/severe-storms-target-the-northern-plains-flash-flooding-near-vegas/

Observed Winds.png

Glad the heats gone. Last Friday was awful. Temps in the high 90's and dews around 80. Friday cracked 100 and was just awful. I think the HI for Omaha was over 120

• Like 1

If I was able to make my way to IL today, I'd chase the brown hatched area. Best chance of tornadoes there IMO as a storm strengthens over MN

sfc analysis 11.png

Favorable pattern for severe wx incoming. W trough sends disturbances (and EML's) out over the plains

8-12-17 2.png

• Like 1