2017 New York Yankees - Sports - 33andrain Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
dmillz25

2017 New York Yankees

Let's see what this younger line up will do this year. Bullpen is a beast again. Starting pitching is the X factor I feel like.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 0:38 PM, dmillz25 said:

Let's see what this younger line up will do this year. Bullpen is a beast again. Starting pitching is the X factor I feel like.

Most likely not a playoff team this year

On 3/8/2017 at 7:04 PM, ModRisk said:

Most likely not a playoff team this year

I'll bump this when they do make the playoffs

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

I think 2018 is more realistic for the Yanks, but I wouldn't write them off in the WC race by any means (or anyone in the AL East, for that matter). Fangraphs projects them to finish .500, but I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Gardner/Bird outperformed their projections. Sanchez had a 40% HR/FB rate that was very unsustainable, but he still has legit 20+ HR power (possibly 30+). Steamer projects him to hit .268/.329/.491 (118 wRC+) and ZiPS projects him to hit .255/.313/.490 (112 wRC+). Either of those stat lines would make him a well above average catcher offensively. I don't think the Yanks need too much to go right for them to finish 5-6 games above that projection, and I think 86-87 wins could be enough for a WC. There's plenty of reason to hope for a bounce back season from Pineda (his ERA was more than a full run above his FIP and xFIP). 

Jays seem like a decent bet to take one of the Wild Cards.

• Like 2

Since I've been spending so much time on the boards & staring at models, I haven't kept up on what's been going on with the Yanks. Lucky for me, our weather board has a sub-forum for sports. I don't even have to open a new tab... My $0.02 is I have no idea of what to expect this year. Just glad to see they're finally using their farm system better than in the past.

• Like 2

The way they've been playing in the preseason tells me they're going to have a good season. And yes I know preseason doesn't translate to the regular season

• Like 1

On 3/11/2017 at 1:19 AM, NYY_2 said:

i say 88 wins and possible WC spot

I think for this year that is their max potential.  Could really see the offense having a good year,  but not the starters.

• Like 1

They're also a team to watch out for around the trade deadline given their farm depth. They could acquire established major leaguers if they feel they're a contender.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2017 at 8:03 PM, dmillz25 said:

Please do 

2 hours ago, Snowman11 said:

80-85 win team

Yep.  We'll see though. 

http://nypost.com/2017/03/20/do-the-unthinkable-yankees-give-gleyber-torres-a-shot/

what on earth is the hurry? There's no guarantee the Yanks will contend and he's only 20 years old. He hasn't had a single PA above A+ ball yet. If he hits well in AA, promote him to AAA. And if he continues to hit well, he can still make his MLB debut at age 20. That's a pretty big accomplishment. There's no need to risk screwing with his development. 

5 hours ago, evan said:

http://nypost.com/2017/03/20/do-the-unthinkable-yankees-give-gleyber-torres-a-shot/

what on earth is the hurry? There's no guarantee the Yanks will contend and he's only 20 years old. He hasn't had a single PA above A+ ball yet. If he hits well in AA, promote him to AAA. And if he continues to hit well, he can still make his MLB debut at age 20. That's a pretty big accomplishment. There's no need to risk screwing with his development. 

They would never call him up to start the year. He needs more time as you said.