Sign in to follow this  
evan

2018 MLB thread

Pretty pumped at meeting Cal Ripken today

20180501_121840.jpg

20180501_122942.jpg

• Like 2

Huge loss for the Dodgers and baseball. Corey Seager to miss the remainder of 2018 with Tommy John Surgery. He was arguably the best shortstop in baseball over the last two years (led all shortstops in WAR from 2016-17 with comparable batting stats to Correa).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, evan said:

Huge loss for the Dodgers and baseball. Corey Seager to miss the remainder of 2018 with Tommy John Surgery. He was arguably the best shortstop in baseball over the last two years (led all shortstops in WAR from 2016-17 with comparable batting stats to Correa).

When did he get this injury? Was it on a throw? 

On 5/1/2018 at 5:58 PM, Allsnow said:

When did he get this injury? Was it on a throw? 

I don't know, but he was having elbow issues last year and I guess it finally tore a few days ago? The Dodgers have the depth to work around it (and could even shift Taylor/Hernandez around and maybe acquire an OF?), but they aren't replacing his production at shortstop. 

On the bright side for LA, Arizona's had their share of injuries. Walker's out for the season and Robbie Ray just hit the DL.

• Like 1

What a comeback by the Braves today.

11 hours ago, Qtown Snow said:

Image result for the pillies

I'll be catching Dodgers-Phils in July. :)

• Like 1

Nice to see the Sox offense bouncing back from last year so far. They currently have 4 of the top 30 position players per WAR (Betts at #3, Martinez at #12, Benintendi at #14, and Bogaerts at #28). They have two of the top 3 hitters in the league per wRC+ (Betts and Martinez) and Benintendi's 21st. Last year the Sox didn't have anyone in the top 60 in wRC+. Sox are currently in the top 5 in most meaningful offensive categories (runs, wRC+, OBP, SLG, HR, SB, BA).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, evan said:

Nice to see the Sox offense bouncing back from last year so far. They currently have 4 of the top 30 position players per WAR (Betts at #3, Martinez at #12, Benintendi at #14, and Bogaerts at #28). They have two of the top 3 hitters in the league per wRC+ (Betts and Martinez) and Benintendi's 21st. Last year the Sox didn't have anyone in the top 60 in wRC+. Sox are currently in the top 5 in most meaningful offensive categories (runs, wRC+, OBP, SLG, HR, SB, BA).

Sale pitched a gem yesterday 

5 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Sale pitched a gem yesterday 

Yeah, he continues to be awesome. He is walking a bit more this year than he has over the last few years and it feels like he's struggled with his pitch count at times, but he's also doing a better job keeping balls in the park (not that that was really an issue). Porcello's also off to a good start and Price/Rodriguez are doing pretty well. It would be nice if they could get a little more stability out of the back of the rotation, but I can't complain about the #1-4 starters.

6 hours ago, evan said:

Yeah, he continues to be awesome. He is walking a bit more this year than he has over the last few years and it feels like he's struggled with his pitch count at times, but he's also doing a better job keeping balls in the park (not that that was really an issue). Porcello's also off to a good start and Price/Rodriguez are doing pretty well. It would be nice if they could get a little more stability out of the back of the rotation, but I can't complain about the #1-4 starters.

You think Price is going to pitch Sunday night? Joe and Evan think he will be pushed back for some reason. 

On 6/26/2018 at 7:49 AM, Allsnow said:

You think Price is going to pitch Sunday night? Joe and Evan think he will be pushed back for some reason. 

I don't see why he wouldn't?

And let's just take this moment to LOL at the Orioles. 23-56. On the bright side, they don't even have the worst run differential (Royals are -152).

• Like 1

Just now, evan said:

I don't see why he wouldn't?

And let's just take this moment to LOL at the Orioles. 23-56.

TB playing great baseball with a awful roster! 

21 hours ago, Allsnow said:

TB playing great baseball with a awful roster! 

Fangraphs had projected the Rays to have a similar record to 2017 coming into the season. The offense is mediocre, but the pitching staff looked pretty good coming into the season. Snell's breakout is legit and if he can cut down on the walks a bit more, he'll be looking like a bonafide ace. Daniel Robertson is making the Zobrist trade look pretty good.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, evan said:

Fangraphs had projected the Rays to have a similar record to 2017 coming into the season. The offense is mediocre, but the pitching staff looked pretty good coming into the season. Snell's breakout is legit and if he can cut down on the walks a bit more, he'll be looking like a bonafide ace. Daniel Robertson is making the Zobrist trade look pretty good.

Do you like what they’re doing with their 4th and 5th starters? Start the game with bullpen then go to them 

On 6/30/2018 at 11:16 AM, Allsnow said:

Do you like what they’re doing with their 4th and 5th starters? Start the game with bullpen then go to them 

It's a cool idea and the Rays have put together a pretty good pitching staff, but I don't know if their strategy will stick around.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evan said:

It's a cool idea and the Rays have put together a pretty good pitching staff, but I don't know if their strategy will stick around.

Agree. Very impressive to see that team playing well with that roster 

I remember the Phillies from 1964...big collapse...

philly.gif

• Like 1

It's looking like Machado is going to be a Dodger.