March 20-22 Winter Storm Obs/Short term Models/Discussion - Page 139 - Archived Storm Threads - 33andrain Weather Discussion Community Jump to content
Frankdp23

March 20-22 Winter Storm Obs/Short term Models/Discussion

Embrace all of this snow and never forget how dynamic storm was and how it delivered. When life gives you lemons ...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ModRisk said:

Nice Doug.   12.5" here 

Nice! Glad you got a nice event 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Sorry the highest I could find was 6.25". I measured several times while it was still snowing around midnight.

Nothing really accumulated after that and it was probably already compacting some.

Terrible. :( Just wasn't our storm.

1 hour ago, NJwxguy78 said:

I hope @Ray8002 is alright. Our Security Cams have a few layers of backup power - so they caught this transformer popping in Tom’s  River after it looks like about 12” fell.

47A741A6-BFB6-4E74-B1C3-C67A9436BFA8.jpeg

West of Tom's River,in Malaga&Newfield sj the power has been out since about 8pm last night.Have friends in that area, that's one thing I don't miss about being down there the power always goes out!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, earthlight said:

I wanted to just rehash a bit the PVA discussion from a few days ago that I was discussing. @brooklynwx99 offered some great visuals of “great” storms throughout the area. The key to storms similar to this evolution being great AREA-WIDE is positive vorticity advection angled UP the coast with favorably positioned 500hPa wind barbs that often angle back toward the coast. 

Yesterdays event featured PVA that was just barely too far east and not quite angled north enough to impact everybody with a huge event. IF this positive vorticity advection was more amplified the massive cold conveyor belt would have impacted the entire area - and it was HUGE as you saw last night. Although LI/ENJ cashed in, they were just on the fringes of it with a huge amount of it out on the open waters. We were just a hair away from what likely would have gone down as one of the biggest March snowstorms of all time here. 

963112FF-C0C6-4645-A667-A412A64999CB.png

Wow!!!! That’s amazing. It was coming down so hard here!! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

This is muuuuch better 

Yes it is. 14" in NW Bucks in PA fits nicely. Not the 25-30" on your other map.

• Like 3