Teleconnections: A More Technical Discussion - Page 2 - Weather Spotlight - 33andrain Jump to content
Snowy Hibbo

Teleconnections: A More Technical Discussion

48 minutes ago, NJwxguy78 said:

Welcome, @ghoneym!

We are thrilled to have you here. Reading through the posts above, I have a similar question- are we 100% sure of the order of operations here - has anyone created a flowchart of any kind. If/then?

To a hobbyist like myself, this seems very convoluted. I’m not doubting the science, just wondering if there is a resource out there for “beginners,” or do we have to create one? :)

I think this is a great question and something everyone with a passion for our global climate would benefit from. The base state at any given time has so many variables attached to it that a single flow chart would be extremely difficult to achieve imo. Maybe if it was broken down into multiple (probably hundreds) of individual flow charts for varying base states of global conditions / variable inputs, that spewed out a composite at the end of each flow chart this would be the holy grail. 

The UK metoffice carried out some research on behalf of Lloyds group relating to teleconections that may be of benefit to some regarding some of the teleconnection links.

1781G Lloyds Met Report 2016 LINKS.pdf

• Like 4

2 years with very late final Stratosphere vortex warmings. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 19.26.02.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 19.27.11.png

Don't get me wrong this years stratosphere vortex looks pretty much finished, however the troposphere vortex still has a hand to play. The colder anomaly for the Northern Hemisphere looks to continue on through the start of spring?

Screen Shot 2018-03-30 at 17.55.34.png

Charts available at    http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat-trop/

Or just type in on the search engine of your choice....Stratosphere - troposphere monitoring

• Like 4